Sign in with
Your question

Dumb mistake, enabled pixel processor quad in 6600 gt, help

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 21, 2006 9:27:10 PM

I used RivaTuner and enabled a pixel processor quad in 6600 gt. It was dumb but I did it out of curiosity to see what happens.

Now the system crashes before window's login screen . I can go to safe mode and remove the display drivers, then I can go back to normal mode, but during driver installation the system crashes again.

The problem is I can't run RivaTuner to restore the graphic card unless the system loads the drivers and the system crashes as soon as it loads the drivers.

What can I do now guys? Is there a way to manually tell RivaTuner that this is a 6600 gt and it accepts it? Did anyone had the same problem before?
January 21, 2006 9:40:09 PM

Lol. Nice little pickle you got yourself into there.

Can you get into Riva Tuner to load at all? If so, Try uninstalling "Nvstrap" instead of setting the pipes back to what they should be.
January 21, 2006 10:12:06 PM

Thanks for the swift response.

I can get into RivaTuner in safe mode or when the driver's are uninstalled but it does not display the options for graphic card. For example the option for changing the refresh rate is available but the options for overclocking or restoring the card from what I have done is not available.

"Try uninstalling "Nvstrap" instead of setting the pipes back to what they should be."

I will try to do this but please tell me what does uninstalling "Nvstrap" has to do with my problem and what should I expect to happen when I do this?

By the way, Is there Anyone who knows a way to flash the graphic card's bios through DOS environment or in safe mode? I think if I can restore the original BIOS then the problem is solved.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
January 21, 2006 11:14:43 PM

To enable the unlocking of that pixel processor you installed something called "NVstrap" I'm hoping uninstalling it will return you card to default, regardless of drivers. If it doesn't it doesn't I guess.
January 21, 2006 11:54:12 PM

Did you try system restore?

If you can, restore you computer to a states BEFORE you started having the problem.
January 21, 2006 11:58:23 PM

how is it that you unlocked anything on a 6600gt? they only have 8 pipelines and they're all enabled.
January 22, 2006 1:36:22 AM

"how is it that you unlocked anything on a 6600gt? they only have 8 pipelines and they're all enabled."

That is why it is a dumb mistake. ;-)
January 22, 2006 2:23:54 AM

Uninstalled the RivaTuer and the problem is solved.

I thought the change is done through the BIOS but you were right, it is not.
Thanks alot every one, you were great help. I did not respond for the past 3 hours because I went to buy a 7800gt/gtx and nearly got one.

Will wait a bit longer and see what happens. The performance of my 6600gt kills me.
!