Terminal Server Licensing

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

I am using Small Business Server 2000 with TS licensing installed on the
SBS 2000 which is the DC.

I have installed Windows 2003 servers running TS in application mode in
my network. I also have serveral Windows 2000 termial servers in the
network.

My grace period just expired on the Windows 2003 terminal servers and I
am getting a message that there are no terminal server license servers
available to provide a license. This happens even when I am using XP
Pro as the remote client.

Everything is working fine on the Windows 2000 terminal servers.

So I've come up with the following possibilities:

Do I need to relocate the TS license server to a Windows 2003 server?
Do I need to upgrade my small business server to SBS 2003?
Do I need to install Windows 2003 TS CALs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

--
Steve Paris
Pathfinder Logistics Group

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

Yes, licensing for Terminal Services 2003 only runs on Windows 2003. Also, I
believe you have to have CALs for 2003 specifically. More info here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;823313

"Steve Paris" <paris@DELETE_CAPSplgs.com> wrote in message
> I am using Small Business Server 2000 with TS licensing installed on the
> SBS 2000 which is the DC.
>
> I have installed Windows 2003 servers running TS in application mode in
> my network. I also have serveral Windows 2000 termial servers in the
> network.
>
> My grace period just expired on the Windows 2003 terminal servers and I
> am getting a message that there are no terminal server license servers
> available to provide a license. This happens even when I am using XP
> Pro as the remote client.
>
> Everything is working fine on the Windows 2000 terminal servers.
>
> So I've come up with the following possibilities:
>
> Do I need to relocate the TS license server to a Windows 2003 server?
> Do I need to upgrade my small business server to SBS 2003?
> Do I need to install Windows 2003 TS CALs.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve
>
> --
> Steve Paris
> Pathfinder Logistics Group

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

A Windows 2003 TS needs 2003 CALs, so you need to buy these (both
normal server CALs and TS CALs).
Note that *every* client needs a 2003 TS CAL, also XP clients.

2003 TS CALs can *not* be installed on a SBS or Windows 2000 TS
Licensing Server, since they don't understand the 2003 licensing
types (Per User or Per Device).

You can either upgrade the SBS to SBS2003 and have it run the
Licensing Service (and install new 2003 TS CALs on it), or you can
install the Licensing Service on the 2003 Terminal Server (it
doesn't have to run on a Domain Controller anymore).

Windows Server 2003 Pricing and Licensing FAQ
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/howtobuy/licensing/pricl
icfaq.mspx

--
Vera Noest
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

Steve Paris <paris@DELETE_CAPSplgs.com> wrote on 19 jan 2005 in
microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup:

> I am using Small Business Server 2000 with TS licensing
> installed on the SBS 2000 which is the DC.
>
> I have installed Windows 2003 servers running TS in application
> mode in my network. I also have serveral Windows 2000 termial
> servers in the network.
>
> My grace period just expired on the Windows 2003 terminal
> servers and I am getting a message that there are no terminal
> server license servers available to provide a license. This
> happens even when I am using XP Pro as the remote client.
>
> Everything is working fine on the Windows 2000 terminal servers.
>
> So I've come up with the following possibilities:
>
> Do I need to relocate the TS license server to a Windows 2003
> server? Do I need to upgrade my small business server to SBS
> 2003? Do I need to install Windows 2003 TS CALs.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

In article <Xns95E3ECA503FF7veranoesthemutforsse@207.46.248.16>,
vera.noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se says...

Thank you Vera!

Steve

> A Windows 2003 TS needs 2003 CALs, so you need to buy these (both
> normal server CALs and TS CALs).
> Note that *every* client needs a 2003 TS CAL, also XP clients.
>
> 2003 TS CALs can *not* be installed on a SBS or Windows 2000 TS
> Licensing Server, since they don't understand the 2003 licensing
> types (Per User or Per Device).
>
> You can either upgrade the SBS to SBS2003 and have it run the
> Licensing Service (and install new 2003 TS CALs on it), or you can
> install the Licensing Service on the 2003 Terminal Server (it
> doesn't have to run on a Domain Controller anymore).
>
> Windows Server 2003 Pricing and Licensing FAQ
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/howtobuy/licensing/pricl
> icfaq.mspx
>
> --
> Vera Noest
> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
> --- please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ---
>
> Steve Paris <paris@DELETE_CAPSplgs.com> wrote on 19 jan 2005 in
> microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup:
>
> > I am using Small Business Server 2000 with TS licensing
> > installed on the SBS 2000 which is the DC.
> >
> > I have installed Windows 2003 servers running TS in application
> > mode in my network. I also have serveral Windows 2000 termial
> > servers in the network.
> >
> > My grace period just expired on the Windows 2003 terminal
> > servers and I am getting a message that there are no terminal
> > server license servers available to provide a license. This
> > happens even when I am using XP Pro as the remote client.
> >
> > Everything is working fine on the Windows 2000 terminal servers.
> >
> > So I've come up with the following possibilities:
> >
> > Do I need to relocate the TS license server to a Windows 2003
> > server? Do I need to upgrade my small business server to SBS
> > 2003? Do I need to install Windows 2003 TS CALs.
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks,

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

In article <#TIPFsc$EHA.3616@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>,
lisa@parrisonline.com says...

Thank you Lisa!

Steve