How can WinXP boot directly to Citrix logon prompt?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

I'd like to have a WinXP client boot directly to a citrix logon prompt. I
don't want the machine to give the user the option to logon to the local
machine.

Then, if possible, also have a way for an administrator to bypass this and
enter the WinXP OS.

Thanks for any help,
Joseph

Ndoki

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2006
I hope this is what you are looking for. All of my workstations boot to my Citrix logon page. The solution is to set up each workstation to boot up in the kiosk-mode.

By default a workstation loads explore.exe (this is produces the windows desktop). Therefore, in order to force the Windows workstation to boot-up to the Citrix logon prompt, you have to change this. Here is how:

Go into the registry of each workstation by going to Start/Run and type in regedit. Then go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/WindowsNT/CurrentVersion/Winlogon:Shell

Change the key labeled 'explorer.exe' to
c:|program files|internet explorer|iexplore.exe -k http://123.34.567.123

Note: Replace the | with a backslash symbol. This forum program does not let me use a backslash.

Where the 123.34.567.123 is the IP Address of your Citrix Server.

Pay attention to the explorer.exe verses iexplore entries above.

Now when you exit the registry and reboot the workstation, the desktop is bypassed and the Citrix logon prompt will appear.

In order for the Administrator to bypass, you would have to re-boot the workstation, hit the F8 key, boot up in the safe-mode to get a c-prompt. Type regedit and reverse the process above. (Change the entry back to explorer.exe in the registry).

Hope this helps.