freeze in drop-down menus

When I go to "save as..." or "open" in any program, the
dialogue box comes up. But when I hit the drop down menu
at the top to scroll up to the desktop, the system
freezes for an inordinate amount of time (up to 2
minutes) before finally letting me navigate to the right
folder...any idea why this is? Is my folder tree
corrupted? How do I fix?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Hi,

Are you on a network and do u have any mapped drives in the computer. when
u open the drop down list box, Explorer must refresh itself to update the
contents of the mapped drive and whether it is accessible.

Regards
M. Rajesh
..Net and Windows Shell MVP
www.winxpsolution.com.