''Move'' terminal server

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs,microsoft.public.windows.server.setup,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

Hi

We have a Win2000 SBS server that is also a terminal server and license
server for terminal services.
Now we want to ''move'' terminal server to a new Windows 2003 member server
and disable TS on SBS server.
What is the procedure to do this?
Can we just
- install TS on a Win2k3 server
- configure TS clients to connect to a new server
- uninstall TS on a Win2000 SBS server
What happens with the licence server? Do we need to install it on a new
Win2003 and also deinstall it on Win2000 SBS or can we just use the one
already installed on a Win2000 SBS?
Thanks you all in advance
Best regards
Miha

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs,microsoft.public.windows.server.setup,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

You do realise that you will need to purchase a Full Terminal Server.
- you cannot install SBS Component servers on member servers..

--
Henry Craven {SBS-MVP}
CI Information Technology

"Miha" <miha.bernik@isg.si> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> We have a Win2000 SBS server that is also a terminal server and
> license server for terminal services.
> Now we want to ''move'' terminal server to a new Windows 2003 member
> server and disable TS on SBS server.
> What is the procedure to do this?
> Can we just
> - install TS on a Win2k3 server
> - configure TS clients to connect to a new server
> - uninstall TS on a Win2000 SBS server
> What happens with the licence server? Do we need to install it on a
> new Win2003 and also deinstall it on Win2000 SBS or can we just use
> the one already installed on a Win2000 SBS?
> Thanks you all in advance
> Best regards
> Miha

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs,microsoft.public.windows.server.setup,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

Yes. We have bough a Windows 2003 operating sistem and 20 CALs for TS on
Win2003. Is this enough?
I just don't know If I need to install license server on a Win2003 or just
TS and leave license server installed on Win2000 SBS?
Thanks
Regards
Miha

"Henry Craven [SBS-MVP]" <IUnknown@Dot.Nyet> je napisal v sporoèilo
news:uM8tMzrHFHA.4032@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl ...
> You do realise that you will need to purchase a Full Terminal Server.
> - you cannot install SBS Component servers on member servers..
>
> --
> Henry Craven {SBS-MVP}
> CI Information Technology
>
> "Miha" <miha.bernik@isg.si> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> We have a Win2000 SBS server that is also a terminal server and license
>> server for terminal services.
>> Now we want to ''move'' terminal server to a new Windows 2003 member
>> server and disable TS on SBS server.
>> What is the procedure to do this?
>> Can we just
>> - install TS on a Win2k3 server
>> - configure TS clients to connect to a new server
>> - uninstall TS on a Win2000 SBS server
>> What happens with the licence server? Do we need to install it on a new
>> Win2003 and also deinstall it on Win2000 SBS or can we just use the one
>> already installed on a Win2000 SBS?
>> Thanks you all in advance
>> Best regards
>> Miha

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs,microsoft.public.windows.server.setup,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

A 2003 TS *must* connect to a 2003 TS Licensing Server. A 2000 LS
cannot handle the new type of licenses (Per User or Per Device).
So you have no choice at all, you must install the TS Licensing
Service on the 2003 server that also holds the TS role. But that's
no problem at all, since 2003 doesn't require the LS to run on a DC
anymore (as 2000 LS did).

--
Vera Noest
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

"Miha" <miha.bernik@isg.si> wrote on 02 mar 2005 in
microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup:

> Yes. We have bough a Windows 2003 operating sistem and 20 CALs
> for TS on Win2003. Is this enough?
> I just don't know If I need to install license server on a
> Win2003 or just TS and leave license server installed on Win2000
> SBS? Thanks
> Regards
> Miha
>
> "Henry Craven [SBS-MVP]" <IUnknown@Dot.Nyet> je napisal v
> sporoèilo news:uM8tMzrHFHA.4032@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl ...
>> You do realise that you will need to purchase a Full Terminal
>> Server. - you cannot install SBS Component servers on member
>> servers..
>>
>> --
>> Henry Craven {SBS-MVP}
>> CI Information Technology
>>
>> "Miha" <miha.bernik@isg.si> wrote in message
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> We have a Win2000 SBS server that is also a terminal server
>>> and license server for terminal services.
>>> Now we want to ''move'' terminal server to a new Windows 2003
>>> member server and disable TS on SBS server.
>>> What is the procedure to do this?
>>> Can we just
>>> - install TS on a Win2k3 server
>>> - configure TS clients to connect to a new server
>>> - uninstall TS on a Win2000 SBS server
>>> What happens with the licence server? Do we need to install it
>>> on a new Win2003 and also deinstall it on Win2000 SBS or can
>>> we just use the one already installed on a Win2000 SBS?
>>> Thanks you all in advance
>>> Best regards
>>> Miha

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs,microsoft.public.windows.server.setup,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

No. You also need the Terminal Server -Server-

You can install the TS license server on either the member Server or
SBServer.

--

> Yes. We have bough a Windows 2003 operating sistem and 20 CALs for TS
> on Win2003. Is this enough?
> I just don't know If I need to install license server on a Win2003 or
> just TS and leave license server installed on Win2000 SBS?
> Thanks
> Regards
> Miha
>
> "Henry Craven [SBS-MVP]" <IUnknown@Dot.Nyet> je napisal v sporoèilo
> news:uM8tMzrHFHA.4032@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl ...
>> You do realise that you will need to purchase a Full Terminal Server.
>> - you cannot install SBS Component servers on member servers..
>>
>> --
>> Henry Craven {SBS-MVP}
>> CI Information Technology
>>
>> "Miha" <miha.bernik@isg.si> wrote in message
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> We have a Win2000 SBS server that is also a terminal server and
>>> license server for terminal services.
>>> Now we want to ''move'' terminal server to a new Windows 2003 member
>>> server and disable TS on SBS server.
>>> What is the procedure to do this?
>>> Can we just
>>> - install TS on a Win2k3 server
>>> - configure TS clients to connect to a new server
>>> - uninstall TS on a Win2000 SBS server
>>> What happens with the licence server? Do we need to install it on a
>>> new Win2003 and also deinstall it on Win2000 SBS or can we just use
>>> the one already installed on a Win2000 SBS?
>>> Thanks you all in advance
>>> Best regards
>>> Miha

TRENDING THREADS