Server 2003 Setup

vinCe

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

I want to set up Windows server 2003 on my computer that I am running XP Pro
on one Hard Drive. I have an extra 200 gb Hard drive that is just sitting
there. Can I install Server 2003 on that extra Hard Drive and if so, How
would I configure the PC to boot to either XP Pro or Server 2003?Will it auto
read and give me the Choice, or do I have to go into the Bios and set up
differant bootup procedures? I do have Virtual PC . I have not used it yet
but is that a option that would be a better install for 2003 server?

seth

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

i haven't worked with virtual pc so i can't help as to how that fits in
but if u do install 2003 on the other drive, it will modify the boot.ini and
will give u the option to start either os

"Vince" <Vince@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I want to set up Windows server 2003 on my computer that I am running XP
>Pro
> on one Hard Drive. I have an extra 200 gb Hard drive that is just sitting
> there. Can I install Server 2003 on that extra Hard Drive and if so, How
> would I configure the PC to boot to either XP Pro or Server 2003?Will it
> auto
> read and give me the Choice, or do I have to go into the Bios and set up
> differant bootup procedures? I do have Virtual PC . I have not used it
> yet
> but is that a option that would be a better install for 2003 server?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

Vince,

You can do it either way. If you add the second hard drive to it, then
install Server 2003 to that drive, it will automatically set up a dual-boot
system, as noted by Seth.

The drawback is that you can only run one or the other system at any given
time. However, if your goal is to do a lot of testing, Virtual PC is the
answer.

Depending upon the amount of physical RAM in your computer, you can host
several operating systems at once by using multiple "virtual machines"
created by Virtual PC.

Gregg Hill