License for users and remote administration

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

Hello,

We have a 2003 Server in the office that we administer remotely with 2
accounts (Administrator and a Backup account). We need 5 users that use
different computers to have access to the server.

We bought 5 user TS CAL that I plan to use in a per User basis.
But I am concern that the 2 Administration accounts are going to use
the user licenses. Will that happen or the 5 user licenses are on top
of the 2 administration accesses that normally come with a Windows 2003
Server?

Thanks!

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

As soon as you install Terminal Services on a 2003 server, it
implies Application server mode and requires additional licensing
for every connection.

There's no way that the TS Licensing Server can discriminate
between normal connections and remote administration connections.

So if you have 5 normal users and 2 administrators, you will need 7
Per User TS CALs.

--
Vera Noest
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

"yedgoo" <yedgoo@mytrashmail.com> wrote on 09 mar 2005 in
microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup:

> Hello,
>
> We have a 2003 Server in the office that we administer remotely
> with 2 accounts (Administrator and a Backup account). We need 5
> users that use different computers to have access to the server.
>
> We bought 5 user TS CAL that I plan to use in a per User basis.
> But I am concern that the 2 Administration accounts are going to
> use the user licenses. Will that happen or the 5 user licenses
> are on top of the 2 administration accesses that normally come
> with a Windows 2003 Server?
>
> Thanks!

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

So when you purchase 5 TS CALs, you are really getting 3 more....it
should be more clear.

Thanks for your help.