Display Properties "Windows XP Style" Option Missing

When I go to the desktop "Display Properties" menu (I right click on
desktop), to the "Appearance" tab, that "Windows and Buttons" has only one
choice, "Windows Classic Style".

Originally, I had another option, "Windows XP Style", which is now missing.
Any ideas how I might recover this option? Thanks in advance.
4 answers Last reply
More about display properties windows style option missing

    Hi,

    Click on control panel.
    click on administrative tools
    click on services
    make sure that the services themes is not disabled or running. it should
    show the status of started.

    Regards
    M. Rajesh
    ..Net and Windows Shell MVP
    www.winxpsolution.com.

    "brucebob" wrote:

    > When I go to the desktop "Display Properties" menu (I right click on
    > desktop), to the "Appearance" tab, that "Windows and Buttons" has only one
    > choice, "Windows Classic Style".
    >
    > Originally, I had another option, "Windows XP Style", which is now missing.
    > Any ideas how I might recover this option? Thanks in advance.

    Hi,

    I am having this same problem since installing XP Service Pack 2 today
    - only "Windows Classic Style" appearing in the "Windows and Buttons"
    dropdown selector in the "Appearance Tab".

    The "themes" service shows status of started.

    I have rebooted XP since installing the SP2 update.

    What can I do to get the "Windows XP Style" option back?

    The current classic style is hurting my eyes... :(

    Thanks!

    --
    touchdown

    what theme were you using before?
    was this an upgrade from xpsp1 or xp?
    did you have any custom themed software installed?
    do you have any group policies installed?
    also go to c:\windows\resources\themes
    and post what you see in that directory.
    thanks

    --Dave Monk [MSFT]

    Dave Monk [MSFT] wrote:
    > *what theme were you using before?
    > was this an upgrade from xpsp1 or xp?
    > did you have any custom themed software installed?
    > do you have any group policies installed?
    > also go to c:\windows\resources\themes
    > and post what you see in that directory.
    > thanks
    >
    > --Dave Monk [MSFT]
    > rights.
    > >[/vbcol] *

    I used the Windows XP theme with the "Windows XP Style" for "Windows
    and Buttons".

    I upgraded from SP1.

    No custom themes at all.

    No group policies.

    In that folder I have:

    "Luna.theme" and a folder called "Luna" containing "Luna.msstyles" and
    yet another folder called "Shell" which holds the folders "Homestead",
    "Metallic" and "NormalColor" which all contains a "shellstyle.dll"
    file.

    I was using the "Metallic" one before upgrading to SP2.

    What can be keeping the "Windows XP Style" option from appearing in the
    dropdown selector?

    Thanks.

    --
    touchdown