Terminal server bandwidth requirements

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
April 4, 2005 3:21:41 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

Hello All,
I have an issue with getting information on bandwidth requirements. Could
someone please let me know if 1mbps upstream is good enough for 75 terminal
server sessions. We currently use T1, we have an option to switch to cable
for less than half the price. But I cannot find bandwidth requirements for
each sessions as of yet.

Thanks

Sunil
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 5:24:53 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

Bandwidth requirements depend on many factors: which applications
your users are running on the TS (graphics intensive applications
like CAD programs are bandwidth killers, and so is Internet
Explorer under some circumstances), how much printing is done, etc.

Minimum bandwidth for a useable RDP Session = 26.4Kbps
800x600 @16 bit color - 26.4Kbps per session
1024x768 @256 colors - 24.6Kbps per session

each increase in screen resolution or color depth requires about 3-
4 Kbps more bandwidth.

Have a look at Patrick Rousse's hardware recommendations:
http://www.workthin.com/tshw.htm

--
Vera Noest
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT