Terminal Service in Mixed Environment

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

I have a mix of Windows 2000 Std server and Windows Server 2003 Std Ed. in my
domain.

I have a WIndows 2000 server that I need to run in Application Server mode.
This server cannot be a domain controller, as I need my remote users in
another city to log on to it to run a CRM application.

I also have one other Windows 2000 Std Server which is one of my four domain
controllers. The other three DCs are Server 2003.

So, my question is, do I still need TS CALs if I have users who all have
Windows 2000 Pro as their OS to log in to the Windoes 2000 Server? Right
now, I have Terminal Server Licensing running on one of the 2003 boxes, which
is yet to be activated, and for some strange reason, only one person is
allowed to log in with Terminal Service (or the Remote Desktop client) onto
the Win2000 server. All others are getting error "The terminal server cannot
issue a client license." (Error 1004 in Event Logs).

Thanks for any input.

-lyj

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

If you don't activate your Licensing Server, it cannot issue
licenses.
You don't have to buy TS CALs, since all XP Pro clients will be
issued a free TS CAL from the built-in pool of "Existing Windows
2000 Per Device TS CALs" on the Licensing Server, but you *must*
activate the LS.

--
Vera Noest
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

LastYJ <carsx88-6012@yahoo.comm.> wrote on 12 apr 2005 in

"Vera Noest [MVP]" <vera.noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se> wrote in

> If you don't activate your Licensing Server, it cannot issue
> licenses.
> You don't have to buy TS CALs, since all XP Pro clients will be
> issued a free TS CAL from the built-in pool of "Existing Windows
> 2000 Per Device TS CALs" on the Licensing Server, but you *must*
> activate the LS.
>
> --
> Vera Noest
> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
> --- please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ---

Thanks for the tip. It's now working for the person who had been having
problems. I knew it was a dumb question.

-lyj

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

LastYJ <carsx88-6012@yahoo.comm.> wrote on 12 apr 2005 in
microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup:

> "Vera Noest [MVP]" <vera.noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se> wrote
> in news:Xns9636D639A82C4veranoesthemutforsse@207.46.248.16:
>
>> If you don't activate your Licensing Server, it cannot issue
>> licenses.
>> You don't have to buy TS CALs, since all XP Pro clients will be
>> issued a free TS CAL from the built-in pool of "Existing
>> Windows 2000 Per Device TS CALs" on the Licensing Server, but
>> you *must* activate the LS.
>

> Thanks for the tip. It's now working for the person who had
> been having problems. I knew it was a dumb question.
>
> -lyj

No, it wasn't. The only dumb questions are the ones that are never
asked. I'm glad that the problem is solved now.