Archos 7'' GamePad Tablet Will Have Buttons, Analog Sticks

Status
Not open for further replies.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
It also means that Google needs to design a standard map for physical controls the options to disable any on-screen buttons (when a flag says so). This would allow for a low-cost Android console too.

Not a bad move, considering that controlling a game with on-screen buttons can be a pain. Obviously, this is targeting gamers first, but I could see a market for unified peripherals that are inspired from this in the future. The OS' flexibility allows for that.

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
While I can't complain about any device having gaming controls, phones are what really need them, because they are with you all the time. Tablets you sort of have to plan to take with you and use. Unless maybe you're a woman with a huge purse, I guess.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]Thunderfox[/nom]While I can't complain about any device having gaming controls, phones are what really need them, because they are with you all the time. Tablets you sort of have to plan to take with you and use. Unless maybe you're a woman with a huge purse, I guess.[/citation]

Briefcase, backpack, laptop case? I'm pretty sure men occasionally carry something larger than a credit card around. The real question is whether or not you want to be seen in public playing a game on it. Public opinion seems to think playing a game system like a DS is nerdy, but playing on your phone is somehow supercool and hip. Where does a sizeable tablet with game controls fit into the social hierarchy?

[citation][nom]anononon[/nom]Nice price point, sadly its built under Archos design quality[/citation]

At price points under $200, something's got to give. I'm sure someone will release a $400 device with better quality if the concept is proven successful.

I don't really think anyone buys this to play Android games though. As long as the emulator apps can key map, that's all that matters.

Pennanen

Honorable
May 29, 2012
"Archos 7'' GamePad Tablet Will Have Buttons, Analog Sticks"

You get an oversized psp that will probably fail harder than vita did.

Truth hurts.

^I have to strongly disagree with your comment. Android OS is a much more useful OS and can do more than games. So the gaming focus on the button design of the GamePad is an extra feature on top of an already functionally capable Android based tablet. Combined with the fact there are already so many Android titles out there, the price is right at below $200, this product shouldn't be a flop.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Pyree[/nom]^I have to strongly disagree with your comment. Android OS is a much more useful OS and can do more than games. So the gaming focus on the button design of the GamePad is an extra feature on top of an already functionally capable Android based tablet. Combined with the fact there are already so many Android titles out there, the price is right at below $200, this product shouldn't be a flop.[/citation]

show me a gba/snes/sega emulator, and ill get one.

neon871

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011
What no Tegra 3? Most of the good games that take advantage of controllers are on the nVidia chip set right? I think this will fail, why would I buy something that can not play the THD games!

sirencall

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
I think the nexus 7 with a ps3 controller should be better experience all around....the nexus 7 is just awesome, but dont mind me......I have one so Im pretty much a fan boy. I wasnt sold on tablets until I got my gf nexus 7, and now I borrow it from her all the time. What tablets need now is better peripheral support and integration as well as more ports. I want to have the laptop connectivity in a 7 inch tablet. Imagine if the games gave keyboard and mouse? Wow this is a small nonsense rant I went on lol. SO yeah, I would rather get a nexus 7 again than this, or the wikipad which has the tegra 3 chip

GreaseMonkey_62

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
Looks a bit better than some of the other gaming control add ons for tablets. Still if they were focusing it on gaming, you'd think they would have gone with a bit beefier processor and maybe 2 gigs of RAM. Even though specs haven't been release I'm assuming it'll have a gig like every other tablet.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]GreaseMonkey_62[/nom]Looks a bit better than some of the other gaming control add ons for tablets. Still if they were focusing it on gaming, you'd think they would have gone with a bit beefier processor and maybe 2 gigs of RAM. Even though specs haven't been release I'm assuming it'll have a gig like every other tablet.[/citation]

why over develop the hardware if no one will make games specifically for it?
when games get developed they are developed to be a shotgun blast, instead of a sniper shot, at least most of the time.

if this comes in at under 200$ though, i could see this being a 2-3 year system before it gets replaced for a significant upgrade,

Status
Not open for further replies.