Hiper PSU's any good?

dizman

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
Going to build a S939 system here in the next couple of weeks and been looking at PSU that are SLI complaint (though budget won't let me do two cards right away) and preferably modular as I don't have more than 2 HDD (1 IDE, 1 SATA) and one SATA DL-DVD Burner.

So I stumbled across this Hiper Type-R 580W Modular Power Supply - Blue (SLI Certified) and found a few reviews on the net for it and it sounds great not only in looks but performance, just wondering if anyone hear has one or knows more about it.

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
never used or heard much about them but from what i hear modular psu's tend to be less stable... im not sure though, this may only be with the ultra PSU (stay away from that, its junk) i guess what u can do is google it and see if there are any reviews, then buy it and if it isnt as good as u need return it..

CD

Distinguished
May 1, 2004
Going to build a S939 system here in the next couple of weeks and been looking at PSU that are SLI complaint (though budget won't let me do two cards right away) and preferably modular as I don't have more than 2 HDD (1 IDE, 1 SATA) and one SATA DL-DVD Burner.

So I stumbled across this Hiper Type-R 580W Modular Power Supply - Blue (SLI Certified) and found a few reviews on the net for it and it sounds great not only in looks but performance, just wondering if anyone hear has one or knows more about it.

Hiper is a UK-based company that just started up a couple years ago but they have really made a name for themselves lately (mostly in Europe where they first started selling thier PSUs). I have the 480W Hiper PSU and it's stable. However, for the price of the 580W modular, there are much better choices! OCZ's Modstream or Powerstream, Seasonic's S12 series, Sunbeam's NUUO series are just some of the better ones you should consider.

dizman

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
Now I found the flaw with this PSU. I was looking to get a DFI UT NF4 DR SLI Expert mobo. Well that mobo uses an 8pin aux instead a 4 pin aux which this PSU doesn't have the 8pin, and I want to get the most out of a Opteron 165 I ordered for the mobo

PS I already ordered the CPU and PSU before I found this out but not the mobo yet.