Via/Nvidia/ATI motherboards as stable as Intel nowadays?

AlanCollier

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
I got bitten badly in the past with a VIA (KT133) chipset motherboard, it was majorly fussy about what it worked with and which sockets you plugged things into. I still only buy Intel chipset boards and CPUs as stability and compatibility are more important than outright speed.

Are motherboards for AMD CPUs still suffering from instability and incompatibility like they did in the past?

--Alan

pat

Expert
I got bitten badly in the past with a VIA (KT133) chipset motherboard, it was majorly fussy about what it worked with and which sockets you plugged things into. I still only buy Intel chipset boards and CPUs as stability and compatibility are more important than outright speed.

Are motherboards for AMD CPUs still suffering from instability and incompatibility like they did in the past?

--Alan

I still have to get any incompatibility with all the AMD motherboard I've been using since 2001 ... And the last one I get is still as stable and compatible as a motherboard has to be..

From the KT133, VIA has improved..a lot. nvidia is very good, ATI too, SIS too and ULi too..I tried all of them...

sturm

Splendid
right now nvidia is your best bet for AMD cpus. ATI is working their way up and sis and uli have been around for a long time too.
Via has its hit and misses. Some people hate them, some love them.
I have a VIA KT266 board running a 1.4 athlon stable as ever. Havent had any problems at all for over 2 years now, same xp installation.
I have used numerous nvidia boards and have had no real problems. I havent use a sis or uli board at all.

linux_0

Splendid
I own several VIA, nVidia nForce and other AMD boards and they all work great without stability problems under Linux and even windoze.

AMD chipsets and motherboards have not had any more stability problems than Intel boards in recent years. Granted some manufacturers produce bad boards and should be avoided. Many of those make both Intel and AMD boards and both product lines are equally bad.

PC Chips is pretty bad and some ECS boards are not that great either.

If you stick with the good manufacturers (DFI, ASUS, Abit, MSI, Epox, Gigabyte, etc) you should have no major problems although all of them have released duds in the past and I'm sure they will do so again in the future.

AMD CPUs work particularly well with the nForce4 chipset and that is the recommended platform for socket 939 CPUs. For socket 754 nForce3 is your best bet.

ULI, VIA and SiS also work.

Semper Fi Linux on! :D

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
Does ULI still count as a seperate vendor since they are being bought by Nvidia in an attempt to subvert ATI's chipset development?

They do make good chipsets though.

TRENDING THREADS