put computer back together but not working, whats up??

narhic_fd

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2005
okay i just got my new mobo back. Ive done a basic setup to test it. IVe installed my cpu, heatsink video card, power supply, and memory. Ive made sure all the wires are connected from the power switch ans stuff to. When i turn on my computer the heatsink fan starts up, the video card fan starts up, but thats it. I dont get any lights on the front of the computer case under the switch, or any beeps at all. could the processor be no good anymore, maybe i messed it up when i took it out to send the mobo back?? I took out the pricessor by the way and it starts up and acts the same way without the processor installed to.Ive made sure its fitted in right, its a socket 754 by the way. So asuming its the processor , considering it starts up the same way with or without the processor in.

post some more specs

its most likly not the cpu

remove everything bar the video card, one stick of ram, psu and processor of course (so everything - the hdd's cdroms sound cards etc) and try booting with just the basics and see what happens, and reset the cmos.

narhic_fd

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2005
okay thermaltake 480 wat(got one of highest rating on newegg)
athlon 64 3000
512 mb ram corsair extreme
radeon x800gt

NOw thats all ive hooked up just so i could give it a test boot up to make sure it starts well before putting the hardrive and everything else in.

NOw i even took out the cpu and started it up and it starts the same way. ILl turn it on:

THe heatsink fan starts up so which tells me the mobo is getting power
the video card fan starts up, but no beeps or anything, and the power supply fan starts working. I even took out the memory , and it starts up the same way.
IVe checked my mobo screws they seem to be in good, without any connection between the screws and the mobo maybeing causing a short with the case. ive double and trippled checked the switches coming from the case to the power switch hookup on mobo, and all those connection. Ive checked the speaker to make sure it hooked up right just in case there are beeps and its just not making sound. I put my ear up to the speaker and i do here some type of sound , huming or whatever which shows me the speaker is hooked up, i hope, lol. So what you guys think.

ill just run through some basics:

have you connected the AUX power plug?
have you pluged in the video card power?
have you reset your cmos?
have you tried switching ram slots on the board?

if you have an old video card try using that and seeing if the system will post.

What brand/model is your board?

narhic_fd

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2005
i switched out my video card and tried that, negative. ive connected the main power supply thats near the IDE slot were you connect the hardrive cables and floopy drive cables. ive plugged in the video card, when i turn the computer on the video card fan starts to. my computer will only startwith ram in the first slot if its solo. i have a socket 754 gigabyte k8 triton k8-kans , something like that. THe mobo is same one before , just new one of it cause i recieved a new one from newegg cause old one stop working right.

pat

Expert
Am I wrong or did he say in the early posts that he was putting an AMD processor into a socket 754 mb?

I don't see any problem with putting an A64 socket 754 into a motherboard with socket 754 support..

In fact, I'm pretty sure it is the only combination possible for that kind of socket...

Yup, the more I'm thinking of it, a socket 754 motherboard should definitively support socket 754 cpu ...

endyen

Splendid
Did you plug in the system speaker? It goes next to the power switch.
If you are not getting any beeps, when the chip and ram are removed, the mobo is in question. Certainly if you dont have any ram plugged in, the system speaker should beep.
BTW if you do have the system speaker plugged in, try reversing the connection.

narhic_fd

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2005
okay i have the speaker pluged in next to the power switch and everything, when i turn on the computer i do hear a slight sound of some kind so i know its hooked up. THE mobo is new , they just sent it to me. IM not sure whats going on, and no i cant get it to the boot screen, it just wont go there.

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Sounds like DOA mobo to me. If NO lights come on, then try this: Remove EVERYTHING, all external devices, even keyboard, mouse, monitor, ethernet, then remove all pci and pcie cards. Disconnect power from ALL internal devices except for the necessary mobo connectors (cpu fan, P4 connector, main power). If you get power, then something else is shorting out your board.

So many people forget the basics. ON MORE THAN ONE OCCASION I've seen a mouse prevent a computer from turning on. Video cards are not needed for a computer to receive power, neither are any of the drives. Strip it down to nothing but mobo, power supply, power switch, cpu fan, and cpu then try it. You should get lights to come on or get the cpu fan to spin. If not its either mobo or power supply, more likely mobo if thats the only 'new' thing.

kittle

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
Also for debugging problems like this it helps to take the mobo out of its case. put it on a sheet of cardboard, or other dry, non-conductive surface.
Then do what bourgeoisdude said.

sanity check: you read the mobo manual and arent forgetting some oddball power plug?

narhic_fd

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2005
well as far as i can tell the only thing that has to be connected to the mobo to turn on is the main power supply cord running to the main power slot next to the IDE, and floppy slot were you put in your ide cables and floopy cable. and of course the thw power switch, hd led, reset and something else, ill try the thing with just the mobo , cpu, and heatsink, on a cardboard box top and see what happens. Would suck that getting a faulty new mobo.

nanoprobs

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
Try just pluging in power for M.B, power switch, and video card. Leave out the LED lights, reset button, and USB plugs, IDE devices, floopy. See if u can get anything.

infyrno917

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
I hate to bring it up, but it happens... could be a case of ESD! If everything is plugged in correctly and you cant even get to the BIOS... im afraid its very possible. If this is the case... you could prevent it in the future by wearing an ESD wrist strap.

Actually, it could be so many things... BIOS failure, CPU pins not connecting right, system not getting sufficient power, shortcircuit, broken wire/connector, jumpers set wrong, surface component broken off of the board...

You can try testing each part in another system until you find a bad one.

Edit: some mainboards require the case speaker to be plugged in to boot.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Someone else asked this, but I can't see anywhere where you actually replied, so apologies if you have somewhere.

But... have you plugged in the AUX power connector? The smaller 4-pin one up near the keyboard and mouse PS2 connectors.

Wherever you mention plugging in the power, you make no mention of that one, so far as I can see. Board probably wouldn't POST without it.

"well as far as i can tell the only thing that has to be connected to the mobo to turn on is the main power supply cord running to the main power slot "

Many if not most MBs will require an additional 4 pin connector (2pins on top of another, if mem serves), present on all ATX12v power supplies, that connects to the mb, supplying the cpu a parallel current source.....might be labeled AUX CPU or something to that effect...

If its not connected...no POST!

narhic_fd

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2005
okay guys. Right now i have the mobo on a piece of cardboard, with just the video card in, the main power supply, stick of memory , and the cpu and heatsink, now i didnt know that the aux thing had to be in, im looking for that on my mobo right now. Man, i want this thing to get going, lol.