RAID recommendations for Terminal Services?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

Does anyone have any recommendations for RAID setup for TS? I'd assume
you'd probably want something on the lines of RAID 10, but I'm looking
for input.

Thanks

Jim

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

In article <%jGle.73179$yV4.7496@okepread03>, jab9417@cox.net says...
> Does anyone have any recommendations for RAID setup for TS? I'd assume
> you'd probably want something on the lines of RAID 10, but I'm looking
> for input.

How many users?

What applications are they running?

Are their profiles local or remote?

Is this a dedicated terminal server or a shared purpose box?

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

> In article <%jGle.73179$yV4.7496@okepread03>, jab9417@cox.net says...
>> Does anyone have any recommendations for RAID setup for TS? I'd assume
>> you'd probably want something on the lines of RAID 10, but I'm looking
>> for input.
>
> How many users?

60

> What applications are they running?

Office 2003
IE 6.0

> Are their profiles local or remote?
remote
> Is this a dedicated terminal server or a shared purpose box?

Dedicated

Jim

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

In article <OLeme.50215$fx3.29690@okepread02>, jab9417@*spam*cox.net
says...

> "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message
> > In article <%jGle.73179$yV4.7496@okepread03>, jab9417@cox.net says...
> >> Does anyone have any recommendations for RAID setup for TS? I'd assume
> >> you'd probably want something on the lines of RAID 10, but I'm looking
> >> for input.
> >
> > How many users?
>
> 60
>
> > What applications are they running?
>
> Office 2003
> IE 6.0
>
> > Are their profiles local or remote?
> remote
> > Is this a dedicated terminal server or a shared purpose box?
>
> Dedicated

That's what I just setup a Dedicated TS box for, here are my spec's.

Dual Xeon 2.8Ghz
3GB RAM
Dual 250GB SATA drives, hardware RAID-1
Windows 2003 Standard

We have about 50 users, migrated about 20 of them now, using profiles
and folders located on the DC, through a 1GB Network connection. All
data files (shares) are located across the network (1GB) on a DC.

Load on CPU's runs < 5% most times, bursts to 50% when loading lots of
profiles or apps. Still faster than their normal means of loading
profiles and files over the VPN's.

Since a lot of the user data is on another machine, the RAID function
means little, other than hardware redundancy.

I run a full NT backup at 2AM from the TS box to the DC, and the DC does
a full tape backup ever day at 4AM.

If you have your users shares mapped to another server, it may not make
much difference if you run R1 or R5. Certainly, in a case with a lot of
reads (which I suspect that 50~60 users profiles would), R5 would be
ideal, but it's working well with a R1 dedicated controller with 128MB
RAM.