Please recommend a motherboard, or tell me how to find one

jaculum

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
(Revised)

I need a socket 939 motherboard.
1. It must support the Athlon 64 X2, by default or with a bios update
2. It must support SLI, nevermind the dual 16x since I just found out it doesn't matter anyway
3. It must support RAID0, and if it doesn't, then it must have an extra PCI-x or PCI-Express slot for a RAID controller card
4. It must have at least two slots for my sound card and wireless card, it doesn't matter what kind of PCI, just whatever works.
If you can suggest one that I won't have to sell a kidney to obtain, I'd really appreciate it.

I'd actually rather like to know how to sort through all the crap and know what's a good motherboard and not, and how to find a good price on one, if you could tell me that instead so I won't ever have to ask again.

jaculum

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
I dunno why I didn't notice it before, but I found a good article about it in Tom's hardware guide.

I've decided upon one of these three, they all meet my needs now that I've realized 32x is unnecessary.

Asus A8n-SLI $121
Epox EP-9NPA+ SLi $141
DFI NF4 SLI Infinity $121

I guess the choice should be obvious, since they all meet my needs, I should just go with the cheapest. Also, the A8n-SLI features something called AI NOS, which is some sort of overclock throttling.

Before I make any final choices though, I thought I should ask for your input.