changing licence type

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.user (More info?)

Hi

We need to change licence type on our Win2003 terminal server from
per-device to per-user.
Is it enough to switch in Terminal Service Configuration -> Licensing from
'per-device' to 'per-user' and then install TS users licences or do we need
any extra work?
Thanks
Regards
Miha

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.user (More info?)

If you bought new licenses, and this time install them as Per User,
yes, changing the licensing mode on the TS from Per Device to Per
User licensing mode will be enough to make the TS search for and
use the Per User licenses.

You can not change existing Per Device licenses into Per User
licenses, unless you have Software Assurance on your TS CALs.

From the Windows Server 2003 Pricing and Licensing FAQ
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/howtobuy/licensing/pricl
icfaq.mspx

Q. Will I be allowed to switch between Windows Device CALs and
Windows User CALs? What about TS CALs?

A. If your Windows CALs are covered under Software Assurance (SA),
you have a one-time right to convert Device CALs to User CALs mid-
contract. You can also convert those Windows CALs from Device CALs
to User CALs, or vice versa, when you renew your SA contract. If
your Windows CALs are not covered under SA, you may not switch;
your choice is permanent. This also applies to TS CALs.

Vera Noest
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
___ please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ___

"Miha" <miha.bernik@isg.si> wrote on 02 jun 2005 in
microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup:

> Hi
>
> We need to change licence type on our Win2003 terminal server
> from per-device to per-user.
> Is it enough to switch in Terminal Service Configuration ->
> Licensing from 'per-device' to 'per-user' and then install TS
> users licences or do we need any extra work?
> Thanks
> Regards
> Miha

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.user (More info?)

Thanks.
Yes we had Terminal Server installed in per-device licence mode and also
installed 5 per-device licences.
Now we have bought new per-user licences (because of different type of work
for remote users), so I changed in terminal services from per-device to
per-user and install TS-user licences. But I can still see that licence
server have 5 per-device licences installed. Is this right or must be there
only per-user licences?

Regards
Miha

"Vera Noest [MVP]" <vera.noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se> je napisal v
sporoèilo news:Xns966997C6EE6D1veranoesthemutforsse@207.46.248.16 ...

> If you bought new licenses, and this time install them as Per User,
> yes, changing the licensing mode on the TS from Per Device to Per
> User licensing mode will be enough to make the TS search for and
> use the Per User licenses.
>
> You can not change existing Per Device licenses into Per User
> licenses, unless you have Software Assurance on your TS CALs.
>
> From the Windows Server 2003 Pricing and Licensing FAQ
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/howtobuy/licensing/pricl
> icfaq.mspx
>
> Q. Will I be allowed to switch between Windows Device CALs and
> Windows User CALs? What about TS CALs?
>
> A. If your Windows CALs are covered under Software Assurance (SA),
> you have a one-time right to convert Device CALs to User CALs mid-
> contract. You can also convert those Windows CALs from Device CALs
> to User CALs, or vice versa, when you renew your SA contract. If
> your Windows CALs are not covered under SA, you may not switch;
> your choice is permanent. This also applies to TS CALs.

> Vera Noest
> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
> ___ please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ___
>
> "Miha" <miha.bernik@isg.si> wrote on 02 jun 2005 in
> microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup:
>

>> Hi
>>
>> We need to change licence type on our Win2003 terminal server
>> from per-device to per-user.
>> Is it enough to switch in Terminal Service Configuration ->
>> Licensing from 'per-device' to 'per-user' and then install TS
>> users licences or do we need any extra work?
>> Thanks
>> Regards
>> Miha

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.user (More info?)

Yes, because you still own these Per Device licenses. They won't be
used, though, since your Terminal Server is now in Per User mode.
But they won't harm you in any way.

Theoretically, you could deploy a second Terminal Server in Per
Device licensing mode, and this server would then use your Per
Device licenses. But it is very seldom that this setup is useful.
Mostly, mixing Per User and Per Device licenses is an
administrative nightmare.
Vera Noest
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
___ please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ___

"Miha" <miha.bernik@isg.si> wrote on 02 jun 2005 in
microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup:

> Thanks.
> Yes we had Terminal Server installed in per-device licence mode
> and also installed 5 per-device licences.
> Now we have bought new per-user licences (because of different
> type of work for remote users), so I changed in terminal
> services from per-device to per-user and install TS-user
> licences. But I can still see that licence server have 5
> per-device licences installed. Is this right or must be there
> only per-user licences?
>
> Regards
> Miha
>

> "Vera Noest [MVP]" <vera.noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se> je
> napisal v sporoèilo
> news:Xns966997C6EE6D1veranoesthemutforsse@207.46.248.16 ...
>>
>> If you bought new licenses, and this time install them as Per
>> User, yes, changing the licensing mode on the TS from Per
>> Device to Per User licensing mode will be enough to make the TS
>> search for and use the Per User licenses.
>>
>> You can not change existing Per Device licenses into Per User
>> licenses, unless you have Software Assurance on your TS CALs.
>>
>> From the Windows Server 2003 Pricing and Licensing FAQ
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/howtobuy/licensing/pr
>> icl icfaq.mspx
>>
>> Q. Will I be allowed to switch between Windows Device CALs and
>> Windows User CALs? What about TS CALs?
>>
>> A. If your Windows CALs are covered under Software Assurance
>> (SA), you have a one-time right to convert Device CALs to User
>> CALs mid- contract. You can also convert those Windows CALs
>> from Device CALs to User CALs, or vice versa, when you renew
>> your SA contract. If your Windows CALs are not covered under
>> SA, you may not switch; your choice is permanent. This also
>> applies to TS CALs.

>> Vera Noest
>> MCSE, CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
>> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
>> ___ please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ___
>>
>> "Miha" <miha.bernik@isg.si> wrote on 02 jun 2005 in
>> microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup:
>>

>>> Hi
>>>
>>> We need to change licence type on our Win2003 terminal server
>>> from per-device to per-user.
>>> Is it enough to switch in Terminal Service Configuration ->
>>> Licensing from 'per-device' to 'per-user' and then install TS
>>> users licences or do we need any extra work?
>>> Thanks
>>> Regards
>>> Miha

sporoèilo news:Xns966A3F55E59veranoesthemutforsse@207.46.248.16 ...