How does Server 2003 know which license to deploy? Per Dev..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

Hello,

I have activated and installed license on my Windows 2003 Server TS box, and
during the license installation process I specified that Per Client Licenses
would be installed.

However, now that users have again connected, I see that Per Device licenses
are being distributed, on a Temporary basis, instead of using my Per Client
licenses, of which none have been distributed.

Is there a setting somewhere that defines what should be used?

Any help appreciated!

Adrian Robertson

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

First of all: there are no Per Client licenses. From the rest of
your post, I understand that you mean Per User licenses.

You have installed your licenses as Per User, and now you have to
tell the Terminal Server to use the "Per User" licensing mode. The
default is "Per Device".
You can check this from Administrative Tools - Terminal Services
Configuration - Server Settings - Licensing Mode
If it's set to Per Device mode, it will look for a Device TS CAL
and will not issue your Per User TS CALs.

Check this article, it explains that even after you have
switched licensing mode on the TS, your Per User TS CAL count will
not be decremented:

822134 - The Function of Terminal Server CALs in Windows Server
2003
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=822134

Vera Noest
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
___ please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ___

"Adrian Robertson" <arobertson@centaman.com.au> wrote on 07 jun
2005 in microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup:

> Hello,
>
> I have activated and installed license on my Windows 2003 Server
> TS box, and during the license installation process I specified
> that Per Client Licenses would be installed.
>
> However, now that users have again connected, I see that Per
> Device licenses are being distributed, on a Temporary basis,
> instead of using my Per Client licenses, of which none have been
> distributed.
>
> Is there a setting somewhere that defines what should be used?
>
> Any help appreciated!
>
> Adrian Robertson

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

Thanks Vera,

Yes Per Client is what I meant, sorry for the confusion. Have been away for
a couple of weeks so have just implemented this and am about to read that
article you have mentioned.

Thanks for your help.

Adrian

"Vera Noest [MVP]" <vera.noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se> wrote in message
> First of all: there are no Per Client licenses. From the rest of
> your post, I understand that you mean Per User licenses.
>
> You have installed your licenses as Per User, and now you have to
> tell the Terminal Server to use the "Per User" licensing mode. The
> default is "Per Device".
> You can check this from Administrative Tools - Terminal Services
> Configuration - Server Settings - Licensing Mode
> If it's set to Per Device mode, it will look for a Device TS CAL
> and will not issue your Per User TS CALs.
>
> Check this article, it explains that even after you have
> switched licensing mode on the TS, your Per User TS CAL count will
> not be decremented:
>
> 822134 - The Function of Terminal Server CALs in Windows Server
> 2003
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=822134

> Vera Noest
> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
> ___ please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ___
>
> "Adrian Robertson" <arobertson@centaman.com.au> wrote on 07 jun
> 2005 in microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have activated and installed license on my Windows 2003 Server
> > TS box, and during the license installation process I specified
> > that Per Client Licenses would be installed.
> >
> > However, now that users have again connected, I see that Per
> > Device licenses are being distributed, on a Temporary basis,
> > instead of using my Per Client licenses, of which none have been
> > distributed.
> >
> > Is there a setting somewhere that defines what should be used?
> >
> > Any help appreciated!
> >
> > Adrian Robertson

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

Dang, I did it again! Per User is what I meant ... ah, you know what I mean
:)