Lite-On does not read dvds

I have a Lite-On SOHD-16P9SV DVD-Rom drive. It reads audio cd's and cd-roms just fine but it will not read DVD's. I installed the PowerDVD 5 softwear and it just shuts down when I try to play a DVD movie. Any advice on what I would do. Thanks
17 answers Last reply
More about lite read dvds
  1. im having the same problems. Do you happen to have nvidia cards?
  2. is the disc copy protection on it. that could be the source of your problems.
  3. Might be the region. If you've run out of times to change the region, then it won't play other region discs than what its set to.

Might be codecs. Try replacing the drivers.

Try using Windows Media Player to play the DVD.

Doubt its copy protection, as you're only trying to read it, right?

If its a homemade DVD, make sure the DVD can play on other devices.
  4. It sounds like your DVD software, OS and or DVD drive is messed up.

http://www.kernel.org/pub/dist/knoppix/KNOPPIX_V4.0.2CD-2005-09-23-EN.iso

Download the 700MB Knoppix ISO boot from it and see if it can read DVDs on that drive if you can then it is your DVD software / OS and not the Lite-On.

Good Luck :D
  5. I just recently built a new system (w/ nvidia card) and I'm experiencing the same problem. I have a Lite-On SHM-165H6S. At first I thought it might be the drive I bought, but my father had bought one and I tried his and it still wasn't working. Then I used my old DVD-ROM from old system and that didn't work either. At this point I have no idea what the deal is with it. I thought it could be the nvidia card, but I haven't read anything indicating it might be that.

Did you solve your problem by any chance and if so what did you do?
  6. Quote:
    I just recently built a new system (w/ nvidia card) and I'm experiencing the same problem. I have a Lite-On SHM-165H6S. At first I thought it might be the drive I bought, but my father had bought one and I tried his and it still wasn't working. Then I used my old DVD-ROM from old system and that didn't work either. At this point I have no idea what the deal is with it. I thought it could be the nvidia card, but I haven't read anything indicating it might be that.

Did you solve your problem by any chance and if so what did you do?

Try the Knoppix trick.
  7. Try the Knoppix trick.

Not to sound ignorant, but do I need to be running Linux to use that trick?
  8. Quote:
    Try the Knoppix trick.

Not to sound ignorant, but do I need to be running Linux to use that trick?

Knoppix is a Live Linux CD which works from CDROM or DVD and does not need to be installed. You don't even need a hard drive.

http://www.kernel.org/pub/dist/knoppix/KNOPPIX_V4.0.2CD-2005-09-23-EN.iso

+

http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/download/ISORecorderV2RC1.msi

Download the 700MB Knoppix disk + ISORecorder, burn the ISO to CDR boot up and have fun with it.

Granted you will need two optical drives during testing, one to boot Knoppix from + the one you're testing.

If you only have one DVD drive you could download the 3.1GB Knoppix DVD and test to see if your DVD drive works well enough to be able to read the Knoppix DVD.
  9. Quote:
    i used to have a problem with some movie DVD's. the problem was it would not read them. the solution i found was that it needs a firmware upgrade, which can be found at lite on's site. it basically updates the formats the drive can read. if that don't work i have no idea.

:-D

That might help.

Unfortunately, sometimes newer firmware can be worse than the old firmware.

Sometimes they fix stuff and sometimes they break stuff, other times they fix certain things and break others.
  10. maybe ur DVD Drive's firmwire is not operating properly.
    My lite-on drive DVD writer works fine and plays DVD videos without shutting down thru PowerDVD 5.
    here's my lite-on DVD writer Drive model SOHW-1693S23C
  11. I finally got my DVDs to play, but now it just won't play audio with them. I uninstalled PowerDVD 5.0 from my computer, and the DVDs seemed to play fine in WMP, but they just won't play the audio along with the DVD. The first DVD I tried was a burned DVD of Bob the Builder (my sons), and it was extremely choppy pausing frame after frame, but the audio did work with it although choppy as well. I then put in an older DVD movie and the video was perfect, but there was just no audio. Since then I've tried a number of movies and the video on all of them is great, but none of them have audio. Not sure what to do at this point. I tried installing PowerDVD again hoping it might work this time, but it did the same thing as before, so I'm guessing WMP and PowerDVD are clashing somehow.

Anyone have any ideas?
  12. I really haven't messed with my audio settings yet, except for those in WMP. Audo CDs play great and the sound is perfect so nothing is muted, but I haven't looked at my sound card settings just in case there's a particular setting for DVDs or something.

I was curious though why WMP was playing the DVD because WMP doesn't come with a DVD decoder, and I had uninstalled PowerDVD. Well, I eventually learned NERO has a DVD decoder, which is what was allowing WMP to play the DVD. I then thought that the two DVD decoders (NERO and PowerDVD) were the result of the earlier problems so I uninstalled NERO then re-installed PowerDVD but the DVD playback stopped working again. Obviously there's something up with that PowerDVD and WMP, but I just don't know what. I restored my settings to before and I'm back to no audio playing DVDs. I'll check my sound card settings when I get home, but this has been so frustrating.

Thanks for all your help to those you have responded. If you can think of anything else or ideas please share.
  13. Quote:
    I really haven't messed with my audio settings yet, except for those in WMP. Audo CDs play great and the sound is perfect so nothing is muted, but I haven't looked at my sound card settings just in case there's a particular setting for DVDs or something.

I was curious though why WMP was playing the DVD because WMP doesn't come with a DVD decoder, and I had uninstalled PowerDVD. Well, I eventually learned NERO has a DVD decoder, which is what was allowing WMP to play the DVD. I then thought that the two DVD decoders (NERO and PowerDVD) were the result of the earlier problems so I uninstalled NERO then re-installed PowerDVD but the DVD playback stopped working again. Obviously there's something up with that PowerDVD and WMP, but I just don't know what. I restored my settings to before and I'm back to no audio playing DVDs. I'll check my sound card settings when I get home, but this has been so frustrating.

Thanks for all your help to those you have responded. If you can think of anything else or ideas please share.

$Solution="MPlayer"; :-D

Seriously it works great!
  14. To me it really sounds like your codecs got messed up.

I'd uninstall Nero, PowerDVD, and any other DVD playing software you have. Then do a rain dance or whatever you like and hope that the uninstall got rid of everything. Then just reinstall PowerDVD and see if it works.

Nero and PowerDVD shouldn't conflict - I have them both on my computer and life is great. I installed Nero first then Power, FYI.

Mebbe you can get another DVD playing software from download.com or something?
  15. Quote:
    To me it really sounds like your codecs got messed up.

I'd uninstall Nero, PowerDVD, and any other DVD playing software you have. Then do a rain dance or whatever you like and hope that the uninstall got rid of everything. Then just reinstall PowerDVD and see if it works.

Nero and PowerDVD shouldn't conflict - I have them both on my computer and life is great. I installed Nero first then Power, FYI.

Mebbe you can get another DVD playing software from download.com or something?

Last night I uninstalled NERO and PowerDVD, and then reinstalled PowerDVD and it still wouldn't work. If I tried using PowerDVD it would open and then after a minute or so close. It didn't even recognize the DVD. WMP would open (recognize the DVD), and then I would get an error message. I'm not sure why PowerDVD wouldn't work, but it sure seemed to clash with WMP, because when I installed NERO and uninstalled PowerDVD my DVDs would work.

However, I did finally get my speakers to work. At least sort of but it doesn't play very loud. I went into WMP, selected Tools, Options, DVD, and then clicked on Advanced and Properties. I then selected SPDIF and the sound worked, but at a very low level and even when I turned the volume as high as it would go. I tried going into my sound card settings, but I have so many different options it gets rather confusing. Also I noticed that WMP won't save the SPDIF setting. I have to go in each time and select it.

Well, I'm slowly getting there, but if only I could get the volume louder now. :?
  16. Quote:
    that sounds like bad software. i used to have that problem on my old dell laptop. it came included with their media centre software or something. everytime i used spdif the master volume controller of my sound card would go down to about 30. don't know how to solve it unfortunately. to get your volume up make sure you you turn up your master volume in your soundcard settings. what sound card so you have? if it can decode dolby then there will be a setting for dynamic range. make sure this is turned off otherwise it will lower the volume to stop it being too loud.

I've tried maxing out any volume setting I can find, and it's just audible enough where if it's absolutely quiet you can kind of make out what is being said on the DVD. It really sucks, but it's better than not having any sound. If anything I'm baffled at why PowerDVD 5 wouldn't work and why it seemed to clash with WMP. It just seems odd. I've tried to different copies of PowerDVD as well, and they both do the same thing. Thanks for all your help who've posted. Hopefully I can resolve this soon. By the way my sound card is a SB Audigy2 ZS.
  17. So now you're where? You get video, but audio is really soft?

Throwing an idea out:
    You can try to reinstall WMP. If you don't have WMP10, it might be an idea to upgrade to that.

I used to have WMP9, then things got hosed somehow (my video came out all wrong but the sound was there), but the upgrade to 10 fixed that.
Ask a new question

Read More

DVD Drives Liteon CD-Rom Storage