breakpoint138

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2006
I have a 7800gt w/ dual dvi outputs and a 17inch analog lcd monitor (8ms) I am using the adaptor from dvi to vga.

I've never seen actually seen a game using the dvi cable. Now is there a noticable difference? Worth considering on a new dvi monitor?

I understand there is a differnece in big screen hd tv's but what about 17inch or 19inch monitors?

thanks.

177ine177ine

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
hey breakpoint, i'm currently running a 6600gt which has one vga and one dvi output. i've tried hooking up two monitors, and personally i didn't notice any incredible difference. i believed that the DVI was a little better with the minor details which i needed for the audio editing i was doing. Another thing is that the DVI seems to be naturally clearer, but i think this was just the cause of a higher brightness level. I switched both monitors to 50% brightness, and the DVI was still brighter even when i swithched monitors. Basically, DVI seems clearer with really minor details, and is also a little brighter than VGA (i mite b wrong on the brightness thing)
personally, the difference is so minor its not worth the extra money for a monitor with dvi in my opinion, but it doesnt hurt having one with DVI.
l8r

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I run 2 computers hooked up to one monitor. The monitor is a 17 inch Sony LCD at 1280x1024. On computer is hooked up with vga and the other with DVI. You could not get a more perfect test step for the question you asked.

My opinion is that DVI makes a huge difference in high res still pictures or your desktop. VGA tends to blur out somewhat while DVI is always razor sharp. Video is another story. The natural tendancy of VGA to blur tends to make video actually look better (IMO). I would describe DVI video as harsh. While viewing compressed video VGA might look fine but the perfection of DVI might show errors like microblock. Anyway my setup is perfect for me because I use the VGA connected computer as a home VCR to show video and I use the DVI connected computer to get online.

Games are kinda in the middle between video and stills.

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
One question:

Digital or Analog display?

If it is going to a panel then you will see a difference using the DVI. Analog is analog. Be sure that you are using a good adapter; as not all are created equal. There are several version such as DVI-A, DVI-D (Single and dual link), and DVI-I (Single and dual link). DVI-A and DVI-I are for analog and DVI I is for both. DVI-D is for digital. In simplicity, the more pins you have on the adapter, the better.

One other thing, CRTs are 10-bit native output and 8-bit for digital (6-bit on some notebooks). If it has to output less that 10-bit, the signal gets dithered to give the best effects on the bit-limited displays.

If it is native one way, keep it that way for the best results.

D

sleepdeprived82

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
All lcds are digital but cheap ones have analogue inputs.

The reason dvi is sharper is that your computer is digital your lcd screen is digital the dvi cable just carries digital signals directly

If you use analogue you have signal loss as computer is digital turned to analouge for cable turned back into digital by lcd screen= loss of quality.

I have used both and dvi is much sharper for my monitor.