Need help with video issue

nork

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2002
My friend switched from crt to lcd monitor on a mobo with built in video adaptor. While doing so seems to have lost video. In dev mgr there are yellow marks on pci simple communications controller and video controller VGA compatible. And there is no adaptor info in properties.

Nothing showing there and i cant seem to be able to make any changes. Seemed to me the trick was to get the mobo video adaptor and reinstall it. I got the adaptor files but they wont seem to install, either when i boot to windows and windows asks for the files or when i try to install from dev mgr. Either way i get a remark that says something about the files not being fit for windows or something akin to that. In the tutorial for the lcd monitor it mentions naming the monitor but i cant seem to be able to make any changes in properties/settings/
advanced/adaptor or in monitor. Seems like the system is using some kind of standard vga driver but i cant seem to be able to get windows to change back or to install the onboard vid drivers.
I also tried last known good configuration but that didnt help me, not sure why but it didnt. Also too late for system restore.
Its a P4 1.8 system with built in S3 (Savage) graphics, 512 mg ram, 80 gig hd, win xp pro.

Any advice here?
Thanks.

WIth the CRT monitor still installed, change the monitor's refresh rates to 60 Hz, and set it to a resolution the new LCD monitor can handle.....1024x768 is safe with most LCD, even 15"ers...

Then connect the LCD.....

Or go specifically get drivers supported for that LCD ahead of time, the Windows generic "PlugnPray" setting/driver by MS does not always cut it.....

(Does the LCD at least display the BIOS and /or logo, and then lose it's screen once Windows has started?)

"Nothing showing there and i cant seem to be able to make any changes. Seemed to me the trick was to get the mobo video adaptor and reinstall it. "

What OS is being used(oops XP-Pro I see), and what MB?

As the onboard video isnt working anyway, you might be able to simply delete the video adapter, and reboot...it should be detected and reinstalled if it was installed once...

Was a new video card added in this process? (Ensure the onboard video is still enabled in the BIOS, *if* that is what he is using....specific chipset onboard video may be downloaded from the mb's manufacturer, as nearly all manufacturers have a website with support/download section....

"Either way i get a remark that says something about the files not being fit for windows or something akin to that. "

Make sure you use the XP/Xp-Pro-/WIn2k drivers, vice the WIn9x family of drivers...??

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
My friend switched from crt to lcd monitor on a mobo with built in video adaptor. While doing so seems to have lost video. In dev mgr there are yellow marks on pci simple communications controller and video controller VGA compatible. And there is no adaptor info in properties. ...

Its a P4 1.8 system with built in S3 (Savage) graphics, 512 mg ram, 80 gig hd, win xp pro.

Any advice here?
Thanks.
How are you viewing device manager without video? Is there a seperate card plus the on motherboard video?

nork

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2002
I seem to have given the impression there is no video. There is video, and its the onboard. the resolution is fine but the problem is that it moves very slow, redraws very slowly because the correct driver is not installed. And i cant seem to be able to make any changes in properties. Under adaptor there is nothing and i cant change it.

The suggestion to delete the video adaptor. I am afraid to do that as perhaps i wont have any video at all if i do so.
Somehow, when he connected the new monitor he uninstalled or lost the drivers for his onboard video.
Now windows seems to be using some generic type driver but i cant seem to install the correct motherboard drivers. I have them, but they wont install. I am using win xp drivers.
This is my friends pc actually, and i had to give it back to him so i will have to go there and try any suggestions given.
thanks

Latest posts