Licensing mess

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

Hello,
On install the site set-up the TS CAL's as per user and the TS server gave
out temporary licenses so they decided that they could see the connection if
they switched to per Device, now they have both and the per Device licenses
are reporting expiry this September. Firstly how can I remove the per user
license and is this possible. Secondly does the per device license always
show an expiry date in case a device is obsolete and as long as it keeps
being in use this will be extended?
I hope someone can help clear this up!?
Thanks,
Caroline

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

So new Per Device TS CALs were purchased and installed to solve the
problem with the temporary licenses?
What should have been done instead is changing the licensing mode
of the Terminal Server to use the Per User licensing mode.
You can do this from Administrative Tools - Terminal Services
Configuration - Server Settings - Licensing Mode
If it's set to Per Device mode, it will look for a Device TS CAL
and will not issue your Per User TS CALs.

I understand that you now have both Per Device and Per User TS CALs
installed, correct? If you only have a single TS, you cannot use
both, so that's rather a waist of money. Now that you know how to
change the licensing mode of the TS, you have to make up your mind
which type of licenses you really want to use. I assume that there
was a good reason for choosing Per User in the initial setup.

I don't think you can uninstall the licenses.
Per Device licenses always have an expiration date, 52-89 days
after issueing. If the client still connects and uses the license,
it will automatically renew itself, starting 7 days prior to
expiration.

Vera Noest
TS troubleshooting: http://ts.veranoest.net
___ please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ___

"=?Utf-8?B?Y21jYXJ0aHkxMw==?="
<cmcarthy13@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote on 04 aug 2005 in
microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup:

> Hello,
> On install the site set-up the TS CAL's as per user and the TS
> server gave out temporary licenses so they decided that they
> could see the connection if they switched to per Device, now
> they have both and the per Device licenses are reporting expiry
> this September. Firstly how can I remove the per user license
> and is this possible. Secondly does the per device license
> always show an expiry date in case a device is obsolete and as
> long as it keeps being in use this will be extended?
> I hope someone can help clear this up!?
> Thanks,
> Caroline

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

Hello Vera,
Thank you for clearing that up, so even though it looks like they will
expire they will not.
As for the licenses if you install them incorrectly you have to go an buy
the same again, you can't remove and re-install for a given period of time?
Thanks,
Caroline

"Vera Noest [MVP]" wrote:

> So new Per Device TS CALs were purchased and installed to solve the
> problem with the temporary licenses?
> What should have been done instead is changing the licensing mode
> of the Terminal Server to use the Per User licensing mode.
> You can do this from Administrative Tools - Terminal Services
> Configuration - Server Settings - Licensing Mode
> If it's set to Per Device mode, it will look for a Device TS CAL
> and will not issue your Per User TS CALs.
>
> I understand that you now have both Per Device and Per User TS CALs
> installed, correct? If you only have a single TS, you cannot use
> both, so that's rather a waist of money. Now that you know how to
> change the licensing mode of the TS, you have to make up your mind
> which type of licenses you really want to use. I assume that there
> was a good reason for choosing Per User in the initial setup.
>
> I don't think you can uninstall the licenses.
> Per Device licenses always have an expiration date, 52-89 days
> after issueing. If the client still connects and uses the license,
> it will automatically renew itself, starting 7 days prior to
> expiration.

> Vera Noest
> TS troubleshooting: http://ts.veranoest.net
> ___ please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ___
>
> "=?Utf-8?B?Y21jYXJ0aHkxMw==?="
> <cmcarthy13@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote on 04 aug 2005 in
> microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup:
>
> > Hello,
> > On install the site set-up the TS CAL's as per user and the TS
> > server gave out temporary licenses so they decided that they
> > could see the connection if they switched to per Device, now
> > they have both and the per Device licenses are reporting expiry
> > this September. Firstly how can I remove the per user license
> > and is this possible. Secondly does the per device license
> > always show an expiry date in case a device is obsolete and as
> > long as it keeps being in use this will be extended?
> > I hope someone can help clear this up!?
> > Thanks,
> > Caroline

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

You can try to phone the Clearinghouse and ask then to re-issue
your licenses. Without Software Assurance, you are not allowed to
change from Per Device to Per User or vice versa, but since an
obvious mistake was made and one of your license paks is in
practice worthless, they might do it anyway.

291795 - HOW TO: Locate a Phone Number for the Microsoft
Clearinghouse
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=291795

<cmcarthy13@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote on 05 aug 2005 in