Windows Update page Doesn't scan

My problem is, when I go to microsoft windows update page, I get the
following screen:

Checking for the latest version of the Windows Update software...

Depending on your connection speed, this might take a minute. During this
time, you may receive one or more security warnings. Review each security
warning to ensure that the content is signed by Microsoft, and then click
Install or Yes to install the software.

Then, nothing else ever happens. The page status at the bottom shows "done"
but I never get a scan link to click.
Anyone else run into this problem? What's the fix?
Thanks

Hi,

Do you have a popup blocker running? It may be blocking the prompts.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"1972vet" <1972vet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My problem is, when I go to microsoft windows update page, I get the
> following screen:
>
> Checking for the latest version of the Windows Update software...
>
> Depending on your connection speed, this might take a minute. During this
> time, you may receive one or more security warnings. Review each security
> warning to ensure that the content is signed by Microsoft, and then click
> Install or Yes to install the software.
>
> Then, nothing else ever happens. The page status at the bottom shows
> "done"
> but I never get a scan link to click.
> Anyone else run into this problem? What's the fix?
> Thanks

Nope, no pop-ups blockers running Rick. I have pop-up blocking but it is
configured to allow on the microsoft pages.
I did receive the pop up security warning asking if I want to install and run
whatever, and I clicked yes. Then, the copy of the page that I pasted here
is all that ever happens. I have not heard of anyone else having this problem.
I'm puzzled.

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Do you have a popup blocker running? It may be blocking the prompts.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "1972vet" <1972vet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My problem is, when I go to microsoft windows update page, I get the
> > following screen:
> >
> > Checking for the latest version of the Windows Update software...
> >
> > Depending on your connection speed, this might take a minute. During this
> > time, you may receive one or more security warnings. Review each security
> > warning to ensure that the content is signed by Microsoft, and then click
> > Install or Yes to install the software.
> >
> > Then, nothing else ever happens. The page status at the bottom shows
> > "done"
> > but I never get a scan link to click.
> > Anyone else run into this problem? What's the fix?
> > Thanks

sarah

it happened to me once.
all i had to do that time was to reboot the system,
connect to the internet re-run the process. it worked
perfectly.

Hi,

Ok, then let's reinstall the site controls. To reinstall the Windows Update
site controls, you must first remove the old controls. The following are
generic steps for all versions of Windows, so not all may apply to your
system:

Remove Controls:
1. Click on Start, then Run.
2. Type in 'regsvr32 iuctl.dll /u' (without the quotes) click OK. You should
get a successful message, click OK on that as well.
3. Click on Start/search/files, choose to look in C:\
4. Type in the file name IUCTL.DLL and click Search Now. Delete every copy
of this file that you find.
5. Run the search again for the file IUENGINE.DLL. Again, delete every copy
of this file you find.

Delete Windows Update files:
1. Double-click on My Computer.
2. Open the C drive
3. Open the Program Files folder
4. Open the Windows Update folder.
5. Delete everything in the folder except the V4 folder.
6. Next, Open the V4 folder, if it exists.
7. Delete everything in the folder except the iuhist.xml file
8. Close Window

Then revisit the WindowsUpdate site and you will be prompted to reinstall
the V4 site controls.

--

> Nope, no pop-ups blockers running Rick. I have pop-up blocking but it is
> configured to allow on the microsoft pages.
> I did receive the pop up security warning asking if I want to install and
> run
> whatever, and I clicked yes. Then, the copy of the page that I pasted here
> is all that ever happens. I have not heard of anyone else having this
> problem.
> I'm puzzled.
>

> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Do you have a popup blocker running? It may be blocking the prompts.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "1972vet" <1972vet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > My problem is, when I go to microsoft windows update page, I get the
>> > following screen:
>> >
>> > Checking for the latest version of the Windows Update software...
>> >
>> > Depending on your connection speed, this might take a minute. During
>> > this
>> > time, you may receive one or more security warnings. Review each
>> > security
>> > warning to ensure that the content is signed by Microsoft, and then
>> > click
>> > Install or Yes to install the software.
>> >
>> > Then, nothing else ever happens. The page status at the bottom shows
>> > "done"
>> > but I never get a scan link to click.
>> > Anyone else run into this problem? What's the fix?
>> > Thanks

I have done as you suggested Rick, and I thought the we were getting
somewhere because when I went back to the update site, it did indeed ask to
"install now" the new software for the windows update site.
However, After I clicked the "install now" link, the page showed that it was
downloading and showed 100% when completed. Next, the text changed to show
that it was registering, and shows 100% but that is where the page is now.
It still shows 100% :

Windows Update is downloading and installing the updated software

Registering: 100%...

So...now what do I do?
"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Ok, then let's reinstall the site controls. To reinstall the Windows Update
> site controls, you must first remove the old controls. The following are
> generic steps for all versions of Windows, so not all may apply to your
> system:
>
> Remove Controls:
> 1. Click on Start, then Run.
> 2. Type in 'regsvr32 iuctl.dll /u' (without the quotes) click OK. You should
> get a successful message, click OK on that as well.
> 3. Click on Start/search/files, choose to look in C:\
> 4. Type in the file name IUCTL.DLL and click Search Now. Delete every copy
> of this file that you find.
> 5. Run the search again for the file IUENGINE.DLL. Again, delete every copy
> of this file you find.
>
> Delete Windows Update files:
> 1. Double-click on My Computer.
> 2. Open the C drive
> 3. Open the Program Files folder
> 4. Open the Windows Update folder.
> 5. Delete everything in the folder except the V4 folder.
> 6. Next, Open the V4 folder, if it exists.
> 7. Delete everything in the folder except the iuhist.xml file
> 8. Close Window
>
> Then revisit the WindowsUpdate site and you will be prompted to reinstall
> the V4 site controls.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "1972vet" <1972vet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Nope, no pop-ups blockers running Rick. I have pop-up blocking but it is
> > configured to allow on the microsoft pages.
> > I did receive the pop up security warning asking if I want to install and
> > run
> > whatever, and I clicked yes. Then, the copy of the page that I pasted here
> > is all that ever happens. I have not heard of anyone else having this
> > problem.
> > I'm puzzled.
> >

> > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Do you have a popup blocker running? It may be blocking the prompts.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Best of Luck,

> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> >> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
> >> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> >>
> >> "1972vet" <1972vet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Hi,

Locate the WindowsUpdate.log file under \Windows or \Winnt. Open it and
scroll to the bottom. Look at the error codes and post back with them here
(or simply copy/paste the relevant section of the log).

--

>I have done as you suggested Rick, and I thought the we were getting
> somewhere because when I went back to the update site, it did indeed ask
> "install now" the new software for the windows update site.
> However, After I clicked the "install now" link, the page showed that it
> was
> downloading and showed 100% when completed. Next, the text changed to show
> that it was registering, and shows 100% but that is where the page is now.
> It still shows 100% :
>
> Windows Update is downloading and installing the updated software
>

> Registering: 100%...
>
> So...now what do I do?
> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Ok, then let's reinstall the site controls. To reinstall the Windows
>> Update
>> site controls, you must first remove the old controls. The following are
>> generic steps for all versions of Windows, so not all may apply to your
>> system:
>>
>> Remove Controls:
>> 1. Click on Start, then Run.
>> 2. Type in 'regsvr32 iuctl.dll /u' (without the quotes) click OK. You
>> should
>> get a successful message, click OK on that as well.
>> 3. Click on Start/search/files, choose to look in C:\
>> 4. Type in the file name IUCTL.DLL and click Search Now. Delete every
>> copy
>> of this file that you find.
>> 5. Run the search again for the file IUENGINE.DLL. Again, delete every
>> copy
>> of this file you find.
>>
>> Delete Windows Update files:
>> 1. Double-click on My Computer.
>> 2. Open the C drive
>> 3. Open the Program Files folder
>> 4. Open the Windows Update folder.
>> 5. Delete everything in the folder except the V4 folder.
>> 6. Next, Open the V4 folder, if it exists.
>> 7. Delete everything in the folder except the iuhist.xml file
>> 8. Close Window
>>
>> Then revisit the WindowsUpdate site and you will be prompted to reinstall
>> the V4 site controls.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "1972vet" <1972vet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Nope, no pop-ups blockers running Rick. I have pop-up blocking but it
>> > is
>> > configured to allow on the microsoft pages.
>> > I did receive the pop up security warning asking if I want to install
>> > and
>> > run
>> > whatever, and I clicked yes. Then, the copy of the page that I pasted
>> > here
>> > is all that ever happens. I have not heard of anyone else having this
>> > problem.
>> > I'm puzzled.

Here goes, I hope I copied all that is relevant:

2004-08-22 18:10:17-0500 812 684 WU client failed to load persisted
download calls with error 0x80004002
2004-08-22 18:10:17-0500 812 684 Client Call Recorder finished delayed
initialization
2004-08-22 18:10:18-0500 608 704 Trying to make out of proc datastore active
2004-08-22 18:10:18-0500 700 584 Out of proc datastore is now inactive
2004-08-22 18:10:19-0500 608 704 Out of proc datastore is now active
2004-08-22 18:10:19-0500 608 704 Out of proc datastore is shutting down
2004-08-22 18:10:19-0500 812 684 DM: GetSession failed with 0x80004002.
2004-08-22 18:10:19-0500 812 684 Setting next AU detection timeout to
2004-08-22 23:10:19
2004-08-22 18:10:19-0500 2052 808 Trying to make out of proc datastore active
2004-08-22 18:10:20-0500 608 704 Out of proc datastore is now inactive
2004-08-22 18:10:21-0500 2052 808 Out of proc datastore is now active
2004-08-22 18:10:21-0500 2052 808 Out of proc datastore is shutting down
2004-08-22 18:10:21-0500 2088 82c Trying to make out of proc datastore active
2004-08-22 18:10:22-0500 2052 808 Out of proc datastore is now inactive
2004-08-22 18:10:22-0500 2088 82c Out of proc datastore is now active
2004-08-22 18:10:22-0500 2088 82c Out of proc datastore is shutting down
2004-08-22 18:10:22-0500 812 684 Failed to get session from datastore:
80004002
2004-08-22 18:10:22-0500 812 684 Failed to Unserialize from data store:
80004002
2004-08-22 18:10:22-0500 812 684 InitAUComponents Failed, will restart AU
in 30 mins: 80004002
2004-08-22 18:10:22-0500 812 684 AU Restart required....
2004-08-22 18:10:24-0500 2088 82c Out of proc datastore is now inactive
2004-08-22 18:13:27-0500 812 684 Cleared the proxy cache.
2004-08-22 18:13:34-0500 812 684 Cleared the proxy cache.

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Locate the WindowsUpdate.log file under \Windows or \Winnt. Open it and
> scroll to the bottom. Look at the error codes and post back with them here
> (or simply copy/paste the relevant section of the log).
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "1972vet" <1972vet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have done as you suggested Rick, and I thought the we were getting
> > somewhere because when I went back to the update site, it did indeed ask
> > "install now" the new software for the windows update site.
> > However, After I clicked the "install now" link, the page showed that it
> > was
> > downloading and showed 100% when completed. Next, the text changed to show
> > that it was registering, and shows 100% but that is where the page is now.
> > It still shows 100% :
> >
> > Windows Update is downloading and installing the updated software
> >

> > Registering: 100%...
> >
> > So...now what do I do?
> > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Ok, then let's reinstall the site controls. To reinstall the Windows
> >> Update
> >> site controls, you must first remove the old controls. The following are
> >> generic steps for all versions of Windows, so not all may apply to your
> >> system:
> >>
> >> Remove Controls:
> >> 1. Click on Start, then Run.
> >> 2. Type in 'regsvr32 iuctl.dll /u' (without the quotes) click OK. You
> >> should
> >> get a successful message, click OK on that as well.
> >> 3. Click on Start/search/files, choose to look in C:\
> >> 4. Type in the file name IUCTL.DLL and click Search Now. Delete every
> >> copy
> >> of this file that you find.
> >> 5. Run the search again for the file IUENGINE.DLL. Again, delete every
> >> copy
> >> of this file you find.
> >>
> >> Delete Windows Update files:
> >> 1. Double-click on My Computer.
> >> 2. Open the C drive
> >> 3. Open the Program Files folder
> >> 4. Open the Windows Update folder.
> >> 5. Delete everything in the folder except the V4 folder.
> >> 6. Next, Open the V4 folder, if it exists.
> >> 7. Delete everything in the folder except the iuhist.xml file
> >> 8. Close Window
> >>
> >> Then revisit the WindowsUpdate site and you will be prompted to reinstall
> >> the V4 site controls.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Best of Luck,

> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> >> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
> >> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> >>
> >> "1972vet" <1972vet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Hi,

Are you running any download managers? The error code seems to indicate
that.

--

> [...]
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "1972vet" <1972vet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have done as you suggested Rick, and I thought the we were getting
>> > somewhere because when I went back to the update site, it did indeed
>> > ask
>> > "install now" the new software for the windows update site.
>> > However, After I clicked the "install now" link, the page showed that
>> > it
>> > was
>> > downloading and showed 100% when completed. Next, the text changed to
>> > show
>> > that it was registering, and shows 100% but that is where the page is
>> > now.
>> > It still shows 100% :
>> >
>> > Windows Update is downloading and installing the updated software

I haven't any download manager except for whatever it is that comes with
windows xp home (as far as I know).

I run winxp home edition, norton internet security 2004, and some freeware
security and privacy software that I downloaded from computer cops.biz

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> [...]
> > 80004002
> > 2004-08-22 18:10:22-0500 812 684 InitAUComponents Failed, will restart AU
> > in 30 mins: 80004002
> > 2004-08-22 18:10:22-0500 812 684 AU Restart required....
> > 2004-08-22 18:10:24-0500 2088 82c Out of proc datastore is now inactive
> > 2004-08-22 18:13:27-0500 812 684 Cleared the proxy cache.
> > 2004-08-22 18:13:34-0500 812 684 Cleared the proxy cache.
> >

> > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Locate the WindowsUpdate.log file under \Windows or \Winnt. Open it and
> >> scroll to the bottom. Look at the error codes and post back with them
> >> here
> >> (or simply copy/paste the relevant section of the log).
> >>
> >> --
> >> Best of Luck,

> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> >> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone

Hi,

What security and prvacy software? Also, try disabling Norton's.