Active Directory and Terminal Server on one machine

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

I have a single server setup as the PDC, and I need to install Terminal
Server on this same server.
This server is running and has been setup for quite some time, I do not want
to have any issues with the current setup. I have read that you also must
have a License server setup, but I have only the one server.
Can anyone give any suggestions for the installation procedures for the
Terminal Server, on a currently running PDC with no other servers involved ?

Thanks alot.
4 answers Last reply
More about active directory terminal server machine
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

    Running Terminal Services on a Domain Controller is *not*
    recommended, for both security and performance reasons.

    So if you don't want issues with your DC, *don't* do it!

    Remember that a Terminal Server is a multi-user workstation. Your
    users will be logged on locally on your Domain Controller, using it
    as their personal computer. They will be downloading software,
    surfing the Internet, etc.
    Moreover, since the TS is also a DC, you will *not* have the normal
    possibilities to lockdown the Terminal Server.

    This is going to create issues, sooner or later (probably sooner).
    So it's not the installation in itself you should be cautious
    about, it's the use of the server once you have made it a TS.

    Technically, it is possible to install both Terminal Services and
    the Terminal Services Licensing Server on one and the same server.
    If you decide to do this anyway, make sure you have a ghosted image
    or a complete backup of your DC before you begin, and make sure to
    make a complete backup of the server every night, because you
    probably will have to recover your server, and the whole domain,
    from backup.

    Vera Noest
    TS troubleshooting: http://ts.veranoest.net
    ___ please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ___

    "=?Utf-8?B?TWVkVGVjaA==?=" <MedTech@discussions.microsoft.com>
    wrote on 08 aug 2005 in
    microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup:

    > I have a single server setup as the PDC, and I need to install
    > Terminal Server on this same server.
    > This server is running and has been setup for quite some time, I
    > do not want to have any issues with the current setup. I have
    > read that you also must have a License server setup, but I have
    > only the one server. Can anyone give any suggestions for the
    > installation procedures for the Terminal Server, on a currently
    > running PDC with no other servers involved ?
    >
    > Thanks alot.
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

    Thanks Vera,
    We have 2 users setup to use the Remote Admin connections, but what we do
    for a Remote Desktop connection is to automatically open the one program that
    they use, they do not have the option to run any other programs, so we use
    this method to reduce the issues of what you described.

    Can you give me any info or where I can find the info for the setup of
    Terminal Services on the Windows Server Standard 2003 AD setup.

    Thanks again.

    "Vera Noest [MVP]" wrote:

    > Running Terminal Services on a Domain Controller is *not*
    > recommended, for both security and performance reasons.
    >
    > So if you don't want issues with your DC, *don't* do it!
    >
    > Remember that a Terminal Server is a multi-user workstation. Your
    > users will be logged on locally on your Domain Controller, using it
    > as their personal computer. They will be downloading software,
    > surfing the Internet, etc.
    > Moreover, since the TS is also a DC, you will *not* have the normal
    > possibilities to lockdown the Terminal Server.
    >
    > This is going to create issues, sooner or later (probably sooner).
    > So it's not the installation in itself you should be cautious
    > about, it's the use of the server once you have made it a TS.
    >
    > Technically, it is possible to install both Terminal Services and
    > the Terminal Services Licensing Server on one and the same server.
    > If you decide to do this anyway, make sure you have a ghosted image
    > or a complete backup of your DC before you begin, and make sure to
    > make a complete backup of the server every night, because you
    > probably will have to recover your server, and the whole domain,
    > from backup.

    > Vera Noest
    > TS troubleshooting: http://ts.veranoest.net
    > ___ please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ___
    >
    > "=?Utf-8?B?TWVkVGVjaA==?=" <MedTech@discussions.microsoft.com>
    > wrote on 08 aug 2005 in
    > microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup:
    >
    > > I have a single server setup as the PDC, and I need to install
    > > Terminal Server on this same server.
    > > This server is running and has been setup for quite some time, I
    > > do not want to have any issues with the current setup. I have
    > > read that you also must have a License server setup, but I have
    > > only the one server. Can anyone give any suggestions for the
    > > installation procedures for the Terminal Server, on a currently
    > > running PDC with no other servers involved ?
    > >
    > > Thanks alot.

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

    OK, just a last warning: it is rather straightforward to start
    *any* application from within any other application which has a
    File - Open or File - Save dialog box. Defining a Starting
    application is *not* a security measure.

    The basic installation is straightforward: Control Panel -
    Add/Remove programs - Add/Remove Windows Components - select both
    Terminal Services and Terminal Services Licensing Service.
    The best documentation for this is in the Help on your server, and
    check the links here:
    Technical Overview of Windows Server 2003 Terminal Services
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/techinfo/overview/termse
    rv.mspx

    You will receive a warning that application which are currently
    installed on the server will stop working and have to be re-
    installed. Whether this will be true for your applications is
    impossible to say, it totally depends on the application.

    After that (within 120 days), you have to activate the TS Licensing
    Server, purchase TS CALs and install them.
    325869 - HOW TO: Activate a License Server by Using Terminal Server
    Licensing in Windows Server 2003
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=325869

    You have to decide in advance if you want Per User or Per Device TS
    CALs, and if you choose to install Per User TS CALs, you must
    change the licensing mode of the Terminal Server accordingly, in
    Administrative Tools - Terminal Services Configuration - Server
    Settings - Licensing Mode

    When you install applications on the terminal Server which are
    meant to be used by remote users, you have to make sure that the
    server is in install mode during the installation.

    Hosting Applications with Terminal Server
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/info.aspx?na=46&p=6
    &SrcDisplayLang=en&SrcCategoryId=&SrcFamilyId=55a30345-b54f-4806-
    9715-a953ceb19287&u=http%3a%2f%2fdownload.microsoft.com%2fdownload%
    2fa%2fa%2f1%2faa1b2164-0dc6-4a5e-8c96-e95119774759%2f06_CHAPTER_4
    _Hosting_Applications_with_Terminal_Server.doc

    Vera Noest
    TS troubleshooting: http://ts.veranoest.net
    ___ please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ___

    "=?Utf-8?B?TWVkVGVjaA==?=" <MedTech@discussions.microsoft.com>
    wrote on 11 aug 2005 in
    microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup:

    > Thanks Vera,
    > We have 2 users setup to use the Remote Admin connections, but
    > what we do for a Remote Desktop connection is to automatically
    > open the one program that they use, they do not have the option
    > to run any other programs, so we use this method to reduce the
    > issues of what you described.
    >
    > Can you give me any info or where I can find the info for the
    > setup of Terminal Services on the Windows Server Standard 2003
    > AD setup.
    >
    > Thanks again.
    >
    > "Vera Noest [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> Running Terminal Services on a Domain Controller is *not*
    >> recommended, for both security and performance reasons.
    >>
    >> So if you don't want issues with your DC, *don't* do it!
    >>
    >> Remember that a Terminal Server is a multi-user workstation.
    >> Your users will be logged on locally on your Domain Controller,
    >> using it as their personal computer. They will be downloading
    >> software, surfing the Internet, etc.
    >> Moreover, since the TS is also a DC, you will *not* have the
    >> normal possibilities to lockdown the Terminal Server.
    >>
    >> This is going to create issues, sooner or later (probably
    >> sooner). So it's not the installation in itself you should be
    >> cautious about, it's the use of the server once you have made
    >> it a TS.
    >>
    >> Technically, it is possible to install both Terminal Services
    >> and the Terminal Services Licensing Server on one and the same
    >> server. If you decide to do this anyway, make sure you have a
    >> ghosted image or a complete backup of your DC before you begin,
    >> and make sure to make a complete backup of the server every
    >> night, because you probably will have to recover your server,
    >> and the whole domain, from backup.

    >> Vera Noest
    >> MCSE, CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
    >> TS troubleshooting: http://ts.veranoest.net
    >> ___ please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ___
    >>
    >> "=?Utf-8?B?TWVkVGVjaA==?=" <MedTech@discussions.microsoft.com>
    >> wrote on 08 aug 2005 in
    >> microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup:
    >>
    >> > I have a single server setup as the PDC, and I need to
    >> > install Terminal Server on this same server.
    >> > This server is running and has been setup for quite some
    >> > time, I do not want to have any issues with the current
    >> > setup. I have read that you also must have a License server
    >> > setup, but I have only the one server. Can anyone give any
    >> > suggestions for the installation procedures for the Terminal
    >> > Server, on a currently running PDC with no other servers
    >> > involved ?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks alot.
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

    It is not recommend to run in this configuration, but it works!
    Making the assumption that you are using server2000 or server2003: Adding a
    license server really means installing the license conponent in the
    add-remove programs, windows comonents section. You will then need to
    activate the license. The "wizard" instructions are fairly clear.
    Assuming that you are using application mode, you will need to make sure you
    have licenses for the users, and add them to the license server. Temporary
    licenses will be issued, valid for about 90 days.

    "MedTech" <MedTech@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have a single server setup as the PDC, and I need to install Terminal
    > Server on this same server.
    > This server is running and has been setup for quite some time, I do not
    want
    > to have any issues with the current setup. I have read that you also must
    > have a License server setup, but I have only the one server.
    > Can anyone give any suggestions for the installation procedures for the
    > Terminal Server, on a currently running PDC with no other servers involved
    ?

    > Thanks alot.

Servers Terminal Server Active Directory Windows