Pixma 3000

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
November 16, 2004 6:59:58 AM

My S530 is kaput and I'm looking at the 3000. I've had trouble finding
reviews, and the one I found on Cnet I belive, wasn't that great?
Does anyone have one and if so, how is it? I just do general light printing
and the occasional photo. 4 tanks is fine...I don't need more.

Thanks
Wilma

More about : pixma 3000

Anonymous
November 17, 2004 1:50:23 AM

Wilma Flintstone wrote:

> My S530 is kaput and I'm looking at the 3000. I've had trouble finding
> reviews, and the one I found on Cnet I belive, wasn't that great?
> Does anyone have one and if so, how is it? I just do general light printing
> and the occasional photo. 4 tanks is fine...I don't need more.
>
> Thanks
> Wilma

Any reviews on dpreview.com?

--
Ben Thomas
given nor endorsed by it.

"BenOne©" <nosp@m.thanks.mate> wrote in message
> Wilma Flintstone wrote:
>
>> My S530 is kaput and I'm looking at the 3000. I've had trouble finding
>> reviews, and the one I found on Cnet I belive, wasn't that great?
>> Does anyone have one and if so, how is it? I just do general light
>> printing and the occasional photo. 4 tanks is fine...I don't need more.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Wilma
>
> Any reviews on dpreview.com?
>
> --
> Ben Thomas
> Opinions, conclusions, and other information in this message that do not
> relate to the official business of my firm shall be understood as neither
> given nor endorsed by it.

A search for Pixma came up empty!
November 17, 2004 6:10:04 AM

Wilma Flintstone wrote:

> "BenOne©" <nosp@m.thanks.mate> wrote in message
>
>>Wilma Flintstone wrote:
>>

>>>My S530 is kaput and I'm looking at the 3000. I've had trouble finding
>>>reviews, and the one I found on Cnet I belive, wasn't that great?
>>>Does anyone have one and if so, how is it? I just do general light
>>>printing and the occasional photo. 4 tanks is fine...I don't need more.
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>>Wilma
>>
>>Any reviews on dpreview.com?
>>
>>--
>>Ben Thomas
>>Opinions, conclusions, and other information in this message that do not
>>relate to the official business of my firm shall be understood as neither
>>given nor endorsed by it.
>>

> A search for Pixma came up empty!

I think you can browse the reviews alphabetically, and you should also try
searching by a model number such as ip3000. I can't try it because I've only got
UseNet access at the moment (no WWW).

--
Ben Thomas
given nor endorsed by it.

On 2004-11-17, BenOne© <nosp@m.thanks.mate> wrote:
> Wilma Flintstone wrote:
>
>> "BenOne©" <nosp@m.thanks.mate> wrote in message

>>>Any reviews on dpreview.com?
>>>
>>>--
>>>Ben Thomas
>>>Opinions, conclusions, and other information in this message that do not
>>>relate to the official business of my firm shall be understood as neither
>>>given nor endorsed by it.
>>>

>> A search for Pixma came up empty!
>>

> I think you can browse the reviews alphabetically, and you should also try
> searching by a model number such as ip3000. I can't try it because I've only got
> UseNet access at the moment (no WWW).

You might also check on "www.steves-digicams.com" as it also contain some
printer reviews for photo printing; might find the ip4000 instead of ip3000 tho;
north america version without the cd printing.
November 17, 2004 8:15:15 AM

Wilma Flintstone wrote:

>>> My S530 is kaput and I'm looking at the 3000. I've had trouble finding
>>> reviews, and the one I found on Cnet I belive, wasn't that great?
>>> Does anyone have one and if so, how is it? I just do general light
>>> printing and the occasional photo. 4 tanks is fine...I don't need more.
>
>A search for Pixma came up empty!

Do a search on google for "canon ip3000 review".
Anonymous
November 17, 2004 8:22:22 PM

"Bill" <bill@c.a> wrote in message news:Tu2dncEUJ7MpuQbcRVn-2Q@golden.net...

>>A search for Pixma came up empty!
>
> Do a search on google for "canon ip3000 review".

Thanks Bill What a great idea!!
BTW have YOU tried that search? How many WORTHWHILE hits did you get ?
My request was for people with ownership experience, not re hashing the info
on Canon's site.
I'm going to pick one up today so if anyone else is interested....just ask!
Anonymous
November 17, 2004 8:22:23 PM

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 17:22:22 GMT, "Wilma Flintstone"
<nowhere@nothing.com> wrote:

>I'm going to pick one up today so if anyone else is interested....just ask!

I'm interested.
If you post your comments in the newsgroup, everyone benefits.
Thanks,
Don
--
November 17, 2004 8:22:23 PM

Wilma Flintstone wrote:

>> Do a search on google for "canon ip3000 review".
>
>Thanks Bill What a great idea!!
>BTW have YOU tried that search? How many WORTHWHILE hits did you get ?

Yes I did, and I found about a dozen relevant reviews or write-ups
giving me enough info to put it on my short list when I went shopping
for a new printer.

>My request was for people with ownership experience, not re hashing the info
>on Canon's site.
>I'm going to pick one up today so if anyone else is interested....just ask!

I've seen the actual output from the iP3000 in side by side comparisons.
It's very good...but that's the only thing that impressed me about the
printer. It's built very flimsy and doesn't have the solid feel that the
previous i850/950/860/960 series had - it feels like it would snap in
half at the first multi-page duplex job.

And after experiencing and hearing of far too many printhead failures
from the Canon i-series (iP series uses identical heads), I removed
Canon from my short list.

Actually I considered Canon, Epson, HP, and Lexmark. The Epsons were
avoided due to clogging issues (I print rarely and have a laser for
regular document use). Lexmark wasn't a contender due to ink costs.
Canon now has a history of printhead failure, and previous models have a
history of failures as well. Needless to say I'm disappointed in Canon.

So I bought an HP 6540 and am quite happy with the printer. It prints as
good or better than the others, costs about the same, has similar ink
costs, it's very quick, built like a tank, and has printheads in the
cartridges.

And here's something I never considered before - the automatic
alignment. It's a treat to pop in a new cartridge and have the PRINTER
do all the alignment work instead of me. It's not a big thing, but it's
a nice convenience, as is the auto paper type sensor.

Of course, YMMV.
:)
Anonymous
November 18, 2004 11:32:39 AM

"Bill" <bill@c.a> wrote in message news:b42dnX0-DbHKIwbcRVn-oA@golden.net...
> Wilma Flintstone wrote:
>
>>> Do a search on google for "canon ip3000 review".
>>
>>Thanks Bill What a great idea!!
>>BTW have YOU tried that search? How many WORTHWHILE hits did you get ?
>
> Yes I did, and I found about a dozen relevant reviews or write-ups
> giving me enough info to put it on my short list when I went shopping
> for a new printer.
>
>>My request was for people with ownership experience, not re hashing the
>>info
>>on Canon's site.
>>I'm going to pick one up today so if anyone else is interested....just
>>ask!
>
> I've seen the actual output from the iP3000 in side by side comparisons.
> It's very good...but that's the only thing that impressed me about the
> printer. It's built very flimsy and doesn't have the solid feel that the
> previous i850/950/860/960 series had - it feels like it would snap in
> half at the first multi-page duplex job.
>
> And after experiencing and hearing of far too many printhead failures
> from the Canon i-series (iP series uses identical heads), I removed
> Canon from my short list.
>
> Actually I considered Canon, Epson, HP, and Lexmark. The Epsons were
> avoided due to clogging issues (I print rarely and have a laser for
> regular document use). Lexmark wasn't a contender due to ink costs.
> Canon now has a history of printhead failure, and previous models have a
> history of failures as well. Needless to say I'm disappointed in Canon.
>
> So I bought an HP 6540 and am quite happy with the printer. It prints as
> good or better than the others, costs about the same, has similar ink
> costs, it's very quick, built like a tank, and has printheads in the
> cartridges.
>
> And here's something I never considered before - the automatic
> alignment. It's a treat to pop in a new cartridge and have the PRINTER
> do all the alignment work instead of me. It's not a big thing, but it's
> a nice convenience, as is the auto paper type sensor.
>
> Of course, YMMV.
> :)

Googled Reviews aside for now , I would have to agree that the quality of
the
plastic used in the top and front covers is disappointing given they're the
parts that
would receive the most abuse. The thing that impressed me about my recently
departed
S530D was the quality of the case. It was built like a battleship! That
would be a concern
for me if I had a couple of teenagers in the house . Once everything is in
postion though,
it doesn't really matter. I wouldn't agree that the PRINTER is flimsy, in
fact it's quite heavy, but
those 2 panels are a disappointment.

I do like the option for using the top feed or bottom tray. My shelving is a
little tight on the top and
while it was fine for the 530, I had to bend the paper to load it into the
3000. Not to worry, I now use the
bottom tray and it isn't an issue .I will probably use the top for envelopes
and it will be a pleasant change not to have
to remove the paper to do it.

I haven't printed too much yet, but the print quality seems very good and
the printer is very quiet, even without
the Quiet Mode. I'm disappointed that they chose to include the PictBridge
connection rather than memory card
slots as other manufacturers have in this price range .

Basically I would say most Canon fans would like this printer and the
advanced paper handling capabilities
would appeal to heavy users who enjoy the cost savings associated with these
printers
Anonymous
November 18, 2004 11:31:18 PM

"Bill" <bill@c.a> wrote in message news:b42dnX0-DbHKIwbcRVn-oA@golden.net...
> Wilma Flintstone wrote:
>
>>> Do a search on google for "canon ip3000 review".
>>
>>Thanks Bill What a great idea!!
>>BTW have YOU tried that search? How many WORTHWHILE hits did you get ?
>
> Yes I did, and I found about a dozen relevant reviews or write-ups
> giving me enough info to put it on my short list when I went shopping
> for a new printer.
>
>>My request was for people with ownership experience, not re hashing the
>>info
>>on Canon's site.
>>I'm going to pick one up today so if anyone else is interested....just
>>ask!
>
> I've seen the actual output from the iP3000 in side by side comparisons.
> It's very good...but that's the only thing that impressed me about the
> printer. It's built very flimsy and doesn't have the solid feel that the
> previous i850/950/860/960 series had - it feels like it would snap in
> half at the first multi-page duplex job.

I wonder if we are picking up the same Canon 'iP' Series printers.
My iP 4000 and the others I have seen are all built quite well and just as
solid as my BJC3000, S520 and i560. In fact I think it is a step up in that
it has less flimsy paper trays than in the past.

> And after experiencing and hearing of far too many printhead failures
> from the Canon i-series (iP series uses identical heads), I removed
> Canon from my short list.

What a shame. Especially since you are using data from a newsgroup where 99%
of the posters are those having a difficulty with a product. Hardly a way
to guage the fact that against units sold printhead failures are actually
not an issue, but instead an unfortunate rarity.

> Actually I considered Canon, Epson, HP, and Lexmark. The Epsons were
> avoided due to clogging issues (I print rarely and have a laser for
> regular document use). Lexmark wasn't a contender due to ink costs.
> Canon now has a history of printhead failure, and previous models have a
> history of failures as well. Needless to say I'm disappointed in Canon.

So if a city of millions has a few citizens that rob banks, does that city
have a history of harboring bank robbers?

> So I bought an HP 6540 and am quite happy with the printer. It prints as
> good or better than the others, costs about the same, has similar ink
> costs, it's very quick, built like a tank, and has printheads in the
> cartridges.

That also have been known to fail. And when it does, guess who pays for the
replacement? You do.
IF my Canon printheads fail (which I have not had a problem with), it is
covered by the warranty.

> And here's something I never considered before - the automatic
> alignment. It's a treat to pop in a new cartridge and have the PRINTER
> do all the alignment work instead of me. It's not a big thing, but it's
> a nice convenience, as is the auto paper type sensor.

Oh what a novel idea that Canon has been using on several of there models
for almost 2 years.
Not knocking HP (they make some good stuff to), but Canon hardly has the
issues you believe just because they would not replace your 4 month out of
warranty printhead.
Anonymous
November 18, 2004 11:37:44 PM

> Googled Reviews aside for now , I would have to agree that the quality of
> the
> plastic used in the top and front covers is disappointing given they're
> the parts that
> would receive the most abuse. The thing that impressed me about my
> recently departed
> S530D was the quality of the case. It was built like a battleship! That
> would be a concern
> for me if I had a couple of teenagers in the house . Once everything is in
> postion though,
> it doesn't really matter. I wouldn't agree that the PRINTER is flimsy, in
> fact it's quite heavy, but
> those 2 panels are a disappointment.

I have the iP4000 and did not find these that much of an issue due to the
change of case design.

> I do like the option for using the top feed or bottom tray. My shelving is
> a little tight on the top and
> while it was fine for the 530, I had to bend the paper to load it into the
> 3000. Not to worry, I now use the
> bottom tray and it isn't an issue .I will probably use the top for
> envelopes and it will be a pleasant change not to have
> to remove the paper to do it.

Definitely like the dual paper paths myself. Plain paper below and photo on
top for me.
The duplexing unit is definitely a plus as I print many large documents and
it is nice to print front/back without having to manually turn them over
anymore.

> I haven't printed too much yet, but the print quality seems very good and
> the printer is very quiet, even without
> the Quiet Mode. I'm disappointed that they chose to include the
> PictBridge connection rather than memory card
> slots as other manufacturers have in this price range .

I think this was the trade off to get the duplexer, dual paper paths and
still keep it at the current price point.

> Basically I would say most Canon fans would like this printer and the
> advanced paper handling capabilities
> would appeal to heavy users who enjoy the cost savings associated with
> these printers

I do, and yes I am a Canon fan.
!