Canon Multipass L6000 - MPSERVICE.EXE at 100% CPU Cycles

Hello

I am having a problem with the Canon MPSERVICE.exe software causing my
laptop to go to 100% CPU cycles when the printer is unplugged from the
computer.

I have a fairly new Dell Inspiron 8500 Laptop running Microsoft
Windows XP PRO with the SP2 upgrade.

I also have a Canon Multipass L6000 Laser Fax/Printer/Copier/Scanner
that I have begun traveling with in order that I can have fast and
high quality laser printing and faxing and copying in my hotel room.

I downloaded the latest L6000.EXE XP software from the Canon website
and installed both setup.exe and setup2.exe as instructed and the
installation worked fine and the printer works great and CPU cycles
are normally low (about 3%).

However, as soon as I disconnect the Canon L6000 Laser Fax/Printer
from the laptop's parallel port to use the computer in places other
than in my hotel room, the CPU cycles go to 100% and the systems
grinds to a halt where it won't even download web pages.

Using MSCONFIG, I have been able to isolate that the problem as
definitely being caused by Canon's MPSERVICE.exe

In MSCONFIG, if I disable MPSERVICE and reboot the computer without
the printer, the CPU cycles are normal. However, to print, I have to
go into MSCONFIG and enable MPSERVICE again and reboot the laptop
again with the printer attached to the parallel port. Otherwise, the
Canon Multipass software gets an fatal error due to MPSERVICE not
loaded.

Additionally, when I want to take the laptop mobile again, I have to
go into MSCONFIG again and disable MPSERVICE again and reboot the
computer again without the printer attached. Otherwise, if there is no
printer attached and MPSERVICE is loaded from the Windows XP "startup"
list, the system bogs down to a crawl

I have seen posts on this and other internet printer driver forums
that state that MPSERVICE is a known CPU "HOG" when the Canon printers
are disconnected from the printer ports and that Canon is aware of the
issue and has an XP SP2 fix or "patch" for MPSERVICE.exe.

I have not been able to find the XP SP2 fix for Canon MPSERVICE when
using the Canon L6000.

I called Canon Customer Service today and explained the problem. They
admitted that there is a problem with MPSERVICE on other newer Canon
printers and have created a software "patch" fix for those printers.

I was told that I was the first to call about the issue with the L6000
and in the case that the L6000 being an older printer, they presently
do not plan to offer a software patch to fix the problem. Due in part
to a perceived low installed base of the L6000 printers and that few
customers disconnect their Canon printers from the computer after the
Canon Multipass software has been installed.

Canon did gave me an additional workaround that prevents me from
having to reboot the computer all the time. From Control Panel /
Administrative Tools / Services: Set MPSERVICE to a "MANUAL" Load and
then manually "START" MPSERVICE when I want to print and then manually
"STOP" MPSERVICE when I want to disconnect the printer. It is a
"techie" workaround, and hard to explain to a "non-techie", but easier
and quicker than changing MSCONFIG and rebooting all the time.

Perhaps if you and/or someone you know is still using a Canon L6000,
you may want weigh the pros and cons of upgrading to Windows XP SP2.

However, I still think the benefits of SP2 are worth the inconvenience
of the issues of the Canon printer software.

Perhaps, if enough people call Canon Customer Service (800-828-4040)
and demand/request that they fix MPSERVICE for Canon L6000 printers,
like they have for done for other newer Canon products, then we might
get them to fix this issue so printing with the Canon L6000 Laser
Fax/Printer can be 'easy' again.

This may also be an issue with the similar Canon L4500IF Laser
Fax/Printer.

Thank you in advance for your replies and responses.

Mark

This might be related.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318273

But I'm an idiot... :-|

Good luck!

mchiles wrote:
> [...]
> "techie" workaround, and hard to explain to a "non-techie", but easier
> and quicker than changing MSCONFIG and rebooting all the time.
>
> Perhaps if you and/or someone you know is still using a Canon L6000,
> you may want weigh the pros and cons of upgrading to Windows XP SP2.
>
> However, I still think the benefits of SP2 are worth the inconvenience
> of the issues of the Canon printer software.
>
> Perhaps, if enough people call Canon Customer Service (800-828-4040)
> and demand/request that they fix MPSERVICE for Canon L6000 printers,
> like they have for done for other newer Canon products, then we might
> get them to fix this issue so printing with the Canon L6000 Laser
> Fax/Printer can be 'easy' again.
>
> This may also be an issue with the similar Canon L4500IF Laser
> Fax/Printer.
>
> Thank you in advance for your replies and responses.

Thanks for the reply...

But, Sorry... It is not the same issue.. Although it is
interesting...

That's a whole 'nother issue....

In trying to get the Canon MPSERVICE to work correctly I tried several
ways of hooking up the printer including using a USB to Parallel
printer cable to the L6000. The Canon Multipass software for the
L6000 only seems to work correctly when the L6000 printer is hooked to
the parallel port using a parallel cable that is never removed.

Thanks,

Mark

Flux2010

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
Unfortunately, mpservice.exe is poorly written. I like to turn off my printer when not in use.

I simply change the service to manual and start it when I need to print, and stop if after. Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services -> MPService

And I took the Canon MP Status Monitor out of startup as well.

This may be the issue, not certain.

Go under your list of printers and see if you have any outstanding print jobs in the queue of a disconnected printer.

This is a fairly common issue that I've seen. You get a new printer and disconnect the old printer, accidently print to the old printer, and leave junk print jobs in its queue. For some reason this can cause your CPU util to max out, as I'm guessing these print jobs keep getting retried.

You'll want to delete the print jobs in the queue of any disconnected printer, and then delete the printer. It might take a reboot after this, but it seems to clear the 100% CPU utilization.

Hope that helps.

Ack, old thread, but still an issue that crops up. I'm usually good about looking at the dates on these posts.. lol.