Which VPN router is better?

I've been researching VPN/Firewall routers and I've tentatively narrowed it
down to two products:

The Netgear ProSafe Firewall/VPN - model FVL328
http://www.netgear.com/products/details/FVL328.php?view=sb

and the Cisco/Linksys RV082 VPN router.
http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=34&scid=29&prid=589

They both seem to do exactly the same thing and cost roughly the same. The
Linksys does have WAN redundancy/failover/load balancing.

I'm wondering if anybody here has experience with either of these products
and could describe their experiences.

Thanks.
12 answers Last reply
More about which router better

    Personally, I wouldn't consider the Linksys/Cisco unit until it has
    had at least 3 firmware upgrades. That's been my experience with
    Linksys stuff. Many people are happy with Linksys. Most of those
    people, from what I've seen are using only basic routing.
    However, for something as sophisticated as IPSEC, I wouldn't trust
    a first firmware.

    Many people seem to think that since Linksys was bought out by Cisco,
    Linksys equipment will suddenly become more reliable, akin to
    enterprise grade equipment. That is not the case from what I've seen
    so far.

    Netgear equip. is usually a lot more reliable than Linksys, IMHO.

    If you're willing to spend that kind of money, I'd consider instead:
    Zywall, Snapgear, Sonicwall in that order. For the money, you'll be
    getting a lot more features, albeit without the load balancing
    perhaps.

    Brad

    Yair Sageev wrote:

    > I've been researching VPN/Firewall routers and I've tentatively narrowed it
    > down to two products:
    >
    > The Netgear ProSafe Firewall/VPN - model FVL328
    > http://www.netgear.com/products/details/FVL328.php?view=sb
    >
    > and the Cisco/Linksys RV082 VPN router.
    > http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=34&scid=29&prid=589

    I agree with Brad regarding Linksys. They do a lousy job of regression
    testing their firmware. Multiple times I have upgraded firmware to
    address one problem only to have something else break that previously
    worked.

    RE:

    I haven't had much dealings with Netgear but I have been using the
    RV082 for a couple of months now in an office environment.

    I'll agree about the firmware issues Linksys seems to have. I'm using
    firmware 1.1.1 and it has been very stable. The only issue I found so
    far was you cannot select an inbound value of 0 for port triggering
    which is a pain if you're trying to setup an outbound only trigger.
    The BEFVP41 you were able to do that no problem. I've submitted that
    glitch to LINKSYS. The WAN failover is instantaneous and works very
    well. I'm quite happy with the RV082 so far and the interface is
    nicely laid out for configuration. It includes a nice sitemap with
    clickable links on the web interface to take you where you need to go
    for for various router configurations.

    There's an in depth review of the RV082 here:
    http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Reviews-145-ProdID-RV082.php

    Cheers,

    Brad wrote:

    > If you're willing to spend that kind of money, I'd consider instead:
    > Zywall, Snapgear, Sonicwall in that order. For the money, you'll be
    > getting a lot more features, albeit without the load balancing
    > perhaps.
    >

    > Brad
    Some of the better sonicwalls (with the enhanced vesrion of sonic os)
    support load balancing.

    They have recently COMPLETELY rewritten their firmware foir then 4th
    generation stuff. The TZ170, pro 2040, pro3060, and pro 4060 all support
    this.

    --
    Copyright 2004 T. Sean Weintz
    This post may be copied freely without

    "Brad" <wouldn't@youliketoknow.com> wrote in message

    > Personally, I wouldn't consider the Linksys/Cisco unit until it has
    > had at least 3 firmware upgrades. That's been my experience with
    > Linksys stuff. Many people are happy with Linksys. Most of those
    > people, from what I've seen are using only basic routing.
    > However, for something as sophisticated as IPSEC, I wouldn't trust
    > a first firmware.

    Thanks for the help. I've heard similar statements about Linksys firmware
    from other sources. For example, the amazon.com reviews are pretty bad. If
    you do look at their firmware releases, they seem to be on their fourth or
    fifth firmware release:

    http://www.linksys.com/download/vertxt/RV082-version.txt

    The last version was released 3/17/04

    Still, I am wary of buying the router for the reasons you outline

    > Many people seem to think that since Linksys was bought out by Cisco,
    > Linksys equipment will suddenly become more reliable, akin to
    > enterprise grade equipment. That is not the case from what I've seen
    > so far.

    Yeah, there's no indication that Cisco engineering is going into the Linksys
    products.

    > Netgear equip. is usually a lot more reliable than Linksys, IMHO.
    >

    > If you're willing to spend that kind of money, I'd consider instead:
    > Zywall, Snapgear, Sonicwall in that order.

    I'm going to go look at those routers right now. Thanks for the recs. The
    load balancing is not the most important thing for us right now, since if
    the business ever expands to the point where we have two net connections,
    we'll probably buy the next level router to match.

    >For the money, you'll be
    > getting a lot more features, albeit without the load balancing
    > perhaps.
    >

    > Brad
    >

    > On Tue, 25 May 2004 19:40:17 GMT, "Yair Sageev"
    > <geekyheeb-news@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I've been researching VPN/Firewall routers and I've tentatively narrowed
    it
    > >down to two products:
    > >
    > >The Netgear ProSafe Firewall/VPN - model FVL328
    > >http://www.netgear.com/products/details/FVL328.php?view=sb
    > >
    > >and the Cisco/Linksys RV082 VPN router.
    > >http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=34&scid=29&prid=589
    > >

    > >They both seem to do exactly the same thing and cost roughly the same.
    The
    > >Linksys does have WAN redundancy/failover/load balancing.
    > >
    > >I'm wondering if anybody here has experience with either of these
    products
    > >and could describe their experiences.
    > >
    > >Thanks.

    Another plus about the netgear is that it's
    --icsn certified
    --VPNC certified for basic conformance, basic interop, rekey conformance,
    and certificate conformance

    Netgear also has its own client software which sells for about $40 per
    license, which doesn't seem too bad.

    As you said, it doesn't have the load balancing...

    "hazardous" <funarama@excite.com> wrote in message
    > RE:
    >
    > I haven't had much dealings with Netgear but I have been using the
    > RV082 for a couple of months now in an office environment.
    >
    > I'll agree about the firmware issues Linksys seems to have. I'm using
    > firmware 1.1.1 and it has been very stable. The only issue I found so
    > far was you cannot select an inbound value of 0 for port triggering
    > which is a pain if you're trying to setup an outbound only trigger.
    > The BEFVP41 you were able to do that no problem. I've submitted that
    > glitch to LINKSYS. The WAN failover is instantaneous and works very
    > well. I'm quite happy with the RV082 so far and the interface is
    > nicely laid out for configuration. It includes a nice sitemap with
    > clickable links on the web interface to take you where you need to go
    > for for various router configurations.
    >
    > There's an in depth review of the RV082 here:
    > http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Reviews-145-ProdID-RV082.php

    Thanks. The Linksys was my first choice and I've had good luck with other
    Linksys products. I did read the review at Tom's Networking, which was very
    positive.

    > Cheers,
    >

    > ppointer@nospamindspring.com wrote in message
    > > Yair Sageev wrote:
    > >
    > > > I've been researching VPN/Firewall routers and I've tentatively
    narrowed it
    > > > down to two products:
    > > >
    > > > The Netgear ProSafe Firewall/VPN - model FVL328
    > > > http://www.netgear.com/products/details/FVL328.php?view=sb
    > > >
    > > > and the Cisco/Linksys RV082 VPN router.
    > > > http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=34&scid=29&prid=589
    > > >
    > > I agree with Brad regarding Linksys. They do a lousy job of regression
    > > testing their firmware. Multiple times I have upgraded firmware to
    > > address one problem only to have something else break that previously
    > > worked.

    Yair, another thing to keep in mind. It doesn't matter what
    router/firewall you buy, you will have some issue with it down the
    road. I've worked on ones from $200 to $14,000 and they all have their
    little glitches and anomalies.

    I've worked on Sonicwall, Netscreen, Shiva/Intel, Symantec, Linksys,
    Watchguard,
    Cisco, D-Link and a few others. The Linksys IPSEC/VPN configuration
    layout is the by far the easiest to understand out of the lot.

    I was going to go with a SonicWall T170 but why would I want to pay
    $1240 CAN when I got the same thing from the RV082 without having to
    pay for granular licensing keys and pay for firmware upgrades. The
    RV082 cost me less than $400 and if you look at the hardware and
    performance specs on the T170 and the RV082 they are very close, so it
    was an easy choice to make.

    I'd like to Linksys include AES in a future firmware release.

    Cheers,

    "Yair Sageev" <geekyheeb-news@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<45ntc.24019$rb.8926@nwrdny03.gnilink.net>...
    > "hazardous" <funarama@excite.com> wrote in message
    > > RE:
    > >
    > > I haven't had much dealings with Netgear but I have been using the
    > > RV082 for a couple of months now in an office environment.
    > >
    > > I'll agree about the firmware issues Linksys seems to have. I'm using
    > > firmware 1.1.1 and it has been very stable. The only issue I found so
    > > far was you cannot select an inbound value of 0 for port triggering
    > > which is a pain if you're trying to setup an outbound only trigger.
    > > The BEFVP41 you were able to do that no problem. I've submitted that
    > > glitch to LINKSYS. The WAN failover is instantaneous and works very
    > > well. I'm quite happy with the RV082 so far and the interface is
    > > nicely laid out for configuration. It includes a nice sitemap with
    > > clickable links on the web interface to take you where you need to go
    > > for for various router configurations.
    > >
    > > There's an in depth review of the RV082 here:
    > > http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Reviews-145-ProdID-RV082.php
    > >

    > Thanks. The Linksys was my first choice and I've had good luck with other
    > Linksys products. I did read the review at Tom's Networking, which was very
    > positive.
    >

    > > Cheers,
    > >

    > > ppointer@nospamindspring.com wrote in message

    > narrowed it

    > > > I agree with Brad regarding Linksys. They do a lousy job of regression
    > > > testing their firmware. Multiple times I have upgraded firmware to
    > > > address one problem only to have something else break that previously
    > > > worked.

    > If you're willing to spend that kind of money, I'd consider instead:
    > Zywall, Snapgear, Sonicwall in that order. For the money, you'll be
    > getting a lot more features, albeit without the load balancing
    > perhaps.

    I looked at the other brands you recommended.

    Linksys rv082: Costs about $275 , 8 switched, full duplex, lan ports,
    failover, VPN, firewall
    Netgear: Costs $275, 8 (switched? full duplex?)) lan ports, no failover,
    VPN, firewall, more certification than Linksys
    Zywall Pro 70: Costs $1000. Does everything as RV082, ICSA firewall and
    IPsec certification, CD-DoC certification
    SonicWall: Many models, but none have integrated 8-port LAN. REquires
    purchase of separate switch. Comparable models cost around $800.
    SnapGear: Now called "CyberGuard" -- I'm still trying to get pricing info,
    just called them and they will be sending it to me. They did win Secure
    Computing's best firewall 2 years in a row.

    Another aspect: Tech support. With Linksys the tech support is free, not
    sure of the others.

    > Brad
    >

    > On Tue, 25 May 2004 19:40:17 GMT, "Yair Sageev"
    > <geekyheeb-news@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I've been researching VPN/Firewall routers and I've tentatively narrowed
    it
    > >down to two products:
    > >
    > >The Netgear ProSafe Firewall/VPN - model FVL328
    > >http://www.netgear.com/products/details/FVL328.php?view=sb
    > >
    > >and the Cisco/Linksys RV082 VPN router.
    > >http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=34&scid=29&prid=589
    > >

    > >They both seem to do exactly the same thing and cost roughly the same.
    The
    > >Linksys does have WAN redundancy/failover/load balancing.
    > >
    > >I'm wondering if anybody here has experience with either of these
    products
    > >and could describe their experiences.
    > >
    > >Thanks.

    Okeley Dokely, I think I'll go with the RV082. It does seem that 1.1.1
    firmware is pretty stable from most accounts. The netgear looks just as
    good but I'm not sure which firmware it is on. Another thing I like about
    Linksys is that their tech support is free and hasn't been that bad in my
    experience. If I bought a Cisco 1712 the support would cost us up the nose.

    Every other router with the same functionality is much more expensive, or
    else requires a separate switch.

    Does anyone know if the Windows VPN Client that comes with Win2k/XP works
    with the Linksys router?

    Yair Sageev wrote:
    >>If you're willing to spend that kind of money, I'd consider instead:
    >>Zywall, Snapgear, Sonicwall in that order. For the money, you'll be
    >>getting a lot more features, albeit without the load balancing
    >>perhaps.
    >

    > I looked at the other brands you recommended.
    >
    > Linksys rv082: Costs about $275 , 8 switched, full duplex, lan ports,
    > failover, VPN, firewall
    > Netgear: Costs $275, 8 (switched? full duplex?)) lan ports, no failover,
    > VPN, firewall, more certification than Linksys
    > Zywall Pro 70: Costs $1000. Does everything as RV082, ICSA firewall and
    > IPsec certification, CD-DoC certification
    > SonicWall: Many models, but none have integrated 8-port LAN. REquires
    > purchase of separate switch. Comparable models cost around $800.
    > SnapGear: Now called "CyberGuard" -- I'm still trying to get pricing info,
    > just called them and they will be sending it to me. They did win Secure
    > Computing's best firewall 2 years in a row.
    >
    > Another aspect: Tech support. With Linksys the tech support is free, not
    > sure of the others.

    I have a Netgear FWAG114 and I'm very happy with it. For all practical
    purposes there is no tech support.

    >>Brad
    >>

    >>On Tue, 25 May 2004 19:40:17 GMT, "Yair Sageev"
    >><geekyheeb-news@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >>

    >>>I've been researching VPN/Firewall routers and I've tentatively narrowed
    >
    > it
    >
    >>>down to two products:
    >>>
    >>>The Netgear ProSafe Firewall/VPN - model FVL328
    >>>http://www.netgear.com/products/details/FVL328.php?view=sb
    >>>
    >>>and the Cisco/Linksys RV082 VPN router.
    >>>http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=34&scid=29&prid=589
    >>>

    >>>They both seem to do exactly the same thing and cost roughly the same.
    >
    > The
    >
    >>>Linksys does have WAN redundancy/failover/load balancing.
    >>>
    >>>I'm wondering if anybody here has experience with either of these
    >
    > products
    >
    >>>and could describe their experiences.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks.

    Here's everything you need to know.

    http://routerworld.dyndns.org/

    "Yair Sageev" <ysageev@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<teudnUnrQovU9ivdRVn-sw@adelphia.com>...
    > Okeley Dokely, I think I'll go with the RV082. It does seem that 1.1.1
    > firmware is pretty stable from most accounts. The netgear looks just as
    > good but I'm not sure which firmware it is on. Another thing I like about
    > Linksys is that their tech support is free and hasn't been that bad in my
    > experience. If I bought a Cisco 1712 the support would cost us up the nose.
    >
    > Every other router with the same functionality is much more expensive, or
    > else requires a separate switch.
    >
    > Does anyone know if the Windows VPN Client that comes with Win2k/XP works
    > with the Linksys router?
    >

    > "hazardous" <funarama@excite.com> wrote in message
    > > Yair, another thing to keep in mind. It doesn't matter what
    > > router/firewall you buy, you will have some issue with it down the
    > > road. I've worked on ones from $200 to $14,000 and they all have their
    > > little glitches and anomalies.
    > >
    > > I've worked on Sonicwall, Netscreen, Shiva/Intel, Symantec, Linksys,
    > > Watchguard,
    > > Cisco, D-Link and a few others. The Linksys IPSEC/VPN configuration
    > > layout is the by far the easiest to understand out of the lot.
    > >
    > > I was going to go with a SonicWall T170 but why would I want to pay
    > > $1240 CAN when I got the same thing from the RV082 without having to
    > > pay for granular licensing keys and pay for firmware upgrades. The
    > > RV082 cost me less than $400 and if you look at the hardware and
    > > performance specs on the T170 and the RV082 they are very close, so it
    > > was an easy choice to make.
    > >
    > > I'd like to Linksys include AES in a future firmware release.
    > >
    > > Cheers,
    > >

    > > "Yair Sageev" <geekyheeb-news@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > > "hazardous" <funarama@excite.com> wrote in message

    > > > Thanks. The Linksys was my first choice and I've had good luck with
    > other
    > > > Linksys products. I did read the review at Tom's Networking, which was
    > very
    > > > positive.

    > narrowed it

    > http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=34&scid=29&prid=589