Samsung Unveils the Galaxy Note 2: It Gets Even Bigger

Status
Not open for further replies.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Will sell boatloads, just like the last one and not a flicker from Apple about it so must not have a leg to stand on for lawsuits, until they patent the stylus and start all over again

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
I think Samsung tapped into a totally unexpected market with the Note. Namely, people 40+. My aunt, who is 60, loves her Galaxy Note. She doesn't care about Android vs iPhone. She doesn't care about Apple or Google. She doesn't care about which apps are on which devices.

The one thing she cares about is its massive number keys for dialing. If she could make calls on her iPad she'd be in heaven.

If I had a note no reason for an "upgrade"... I also don't see a significant difference between the S3 and note 2. Besides SIZE. at least with the S2 and note there was a res difference. This doesn't seem like a good move. Just a size difference for the sake of having a new model.

Thing is while I would like a note, I have zero problem reading anything on my s2. And with a mediocre upgrade they are not providing motivation to upgrade. To a "new" phone that they will charge top dollar for. That is the same as the old.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]unksol[/nom]If I had a note no reason for an "upgrade"... I also don't see a significant difference between the S3 and note 2. Besides SIZE. at least with the S2 and note there was a res difference. This doesn't seem like a good move. Just a size difference for the sake of having a new model. Thing is while I would like a note, I have zero problem reading anything on my s2. And with a mediocre upgrade they are not providing motivation to upgrade. To a "new" phone that they will charge top dollar for. That is the same as the old.[/citation]
The screen is a new RGB configuration the new one should look better then the old Note, so while it's slightly lower resolution the new setup should make it look better. Not a huge change but it's not just the same screen in slightly larger size.

But its a MINOR change no matter how you look at it. while we are at a stall as far as what mobile performance can give us.because software can't keep up. There is.no significant hardware change to justify the new price vs a year ago.

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
[citation][nom]unksol[/nom]But its a MINOR change no matter how you look at it. while we are at a stall as far as what mobile performance can give us.because software can't keep up. There is.no significant hardware change to justify the new price vs a year ago.[/citation]
What is the new price? I didn't get the first Note because I had a brand new phone when they launched the Note here in the states. My buddy had one and I loved using it so I told myself I'll get the Note 2 when it launched. Currently, I can get the Note from AT&T for 200 dollars.. will Note 2 be more then that?

The Greater Good

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]I think Samsung tapped into a totally unexpected market with the Note. Namely, people 40+. My aunt, who is 60, loves her Galaxy Note. She doesn't care about Android vs iPhone. She doesn't care about Apple or Google. She doesn't care about which apps are on which devices.The one thing she cares about is its massive number keys for dialing. If she could make calls on her iPad she'd be in heaven.[/citation]

You can hack the Galaxy Tab 3G (that takes a SIM) and let that make calls.

zblade

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
Don't see why people are saying it is not much of an upgrade to the Note and it is no difference to a S3.

200MHz faster than the S3 and double the amount of core to the Note with a 200MHz increase.
Double the RAM in S3 and Note (unless you got the are in Korea with the 2GB RAM)
Larger battery to the S3 and Note
About 50% faster GPU to the Note.
Bigger screen

The only downside to it that I see it is a tad bit bigger and there are less pixel

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
3100 mAh battery is a nice capacity, but Note 2 also have a beeefy spec, so my question still the same how long is the battery life? Is it long enough like the tablet PC?

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
[citation][nom]Freakykiwi[/nom]The key difference between the S3 and the Note, other than the size, is the stylus.[/citation]
and most likely more than just AT&T as the carrier. while the large screen is not for everone, one thing that the note is extremely good for is point of sale for mobile businesses. I have no desire to go back to AT&T, ill get the unlocked if I need one unless its on verizon.

As far as note vs s3, basically it looks like samsung is following motorola with the dual design idea per product line (droid + droid X)

As for upgrading, there is usually no reason to upgrade each new product, but if you have say the lg Ally ... you haven't upgraded yet?

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
OK, its been a whole extra day since Samsung announced the Ativ range of Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 products
Why is IMDB, an entertainment website, reporting this before a tech website - Toms, MUST DO BETTER

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]Not worth an upgrade over the Note 1 they lowered the res to 720p which is crap. 2Gb of ram is the only noteworthy change. They could have made a 12mp camera better optics so not worth it. The US wont see it until much later after the rest of the world gets it first which is also crap. I'll wait for the Note 3[/citation]
Well, why dont you put one of your many GTX 790s into it? Maybe fit an SLR in there too.

fuzzion

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
Dear samsung, I fear that 5.5 inch is pushing the limits of my pocket. If note 3 is going to get larger, I would be forced to get the S4.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]fuzzion[/nom]Dear samsung, I fear that 5.5 inch is pushing the limits of my pocket. If note 3 is going to get larger, I would be forced to get the S4.[/citation]
Dear fuzzion, we here at Samung value your feedback. Please try not to let the door hit you in the ____.

Status
Not open for further replies.