Terminal Services temp licensing

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

Initially our server was setup to send temporarly licenses to terminal
services clients that were connecting through Windows XP remote desktop. We
have since purchased licenses for terminal services connections and installed
them on the server. The users are still receiving the message that terminal
services connections are only temporary. We are able to work at this time
however the message says that they will be expiring in 9 days. How do we get
the server to see that it has valid licenses installed and how do we make
sure it hands out the valid licenses to clients instead of still issuing the
temporary ones?
1 answer Last reply
More about terminal services temp licensing
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

    Which OS are you running on the Terminal Server?
    Which OS are you running on the TS Licensing Server?
    Can the TS locate the TS LS? (check the EventLog)

    If you run 2003 on the TS, did you install Per User or Per Device
    TS CALs?
    If you installed Per User TS CALs on the TS LS, is the Terminal
    Server set to use "Per User" licensing? The default is "Per
    Device".
    You can check this from Administrative Tools - Terminal Services
    Configuration - Server Settings - Licensing Mode
    If it's set to Per Device mode, it will look for a Device TS CAL
    and will not issue your Per User TS CALs.

    Check this article, it explains that even after you have
    switched licensing mode on the TS, your Per User TS CAL count will
    not be decremented:

    822134 - The Function of Terminal Server CALs in Windows Server
    2003
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=822134

    Vera Noest
    TS troubleshooting: http://ts.veranoest.net
    ___ please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ___

    "=?Utf-8?B?QmlsbCBHYXRlcw==?=" <Bill
    Gates@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote on 26 sep 2005 in
    microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup:

    > Initially our server was setup to send temporarly licenses to
    > terminal services clients that were connecting through Windows
    > XP remote desktop. We have since purchased licenses for
    > terminal services connections and installed them on the server.
    > The users are still receiving the message that terminal services
    > connections are only temporary. We are able to work at this
    > time however the message says that they will be expiring in 9
    > days. How do we get the server to see that it has valid
    > licenses installed and how do we make sure it hands out the
    > valid licenses to clients instead of still issuing the temporary
    > ones?

Terminal Remote Desktop Microsoft Servers Windows