Terminal Services temp licensing

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

Initially our server was setup to send temporarly licenses to terminal
services clients that were connecting through Windows XP remote desktop. We
have since purchased licenses for terminal services connections and installed
them on the server. The users are still receiving the message that terminal
services connections are only temporary. We are able to work at this time
however the message says that they will be expiring in 9 days. How do we get
the server to see that it has valid licenses installed and how do we make
sure it hands out the valid licenses to clients instead of still issuing the
temporary ones?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

Which OS are you running on the Terminal Server?
Which OS are you running on the TS Licensing Server?
Can the TS locate the TS LS? (check the EventLog)

If you run 2003 on the TS, did you install Per User or Per Device
TS CALs?
If you installed Per User TS CALs on the TS LS, is the Terminal
Server set to use "Per User" licensing? The default is "Per
Device".
You can check this from Administrative Tools - Terminal Services
Configuration - Server Settings - Licensing Mode
If it's set to Per Device mode, it will look for a Device TS CAL
and will not issue your Per User TS CALs.

Check this article, it explains that even after you have
switched licensing mode on the TS, your Per User TS CAL count will
not be decremented:

822134 - The Function of Terminal Server CALs in Windows Server
2003
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=822134

Vera Noest
TS troubleshooting: http://ts.veranoest.net
___ please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ___

"=?Utf-8?B?QmlsbCBHYXRlcw==?=" <Bill
Gates@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote on 26 sep 2005 in