AMD 64 3800+Dual Core with 512kbL2 Vs Intel 3.2 2mb L2 singl

Slaytus

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
AMD 64 3800+Dual Core with 512kbL2 Vs Intel 3.2 2mb L2 single

which would be the faster processor and better to buy .

linux_0

Splendid
AMD 64 3800+Dual Core + nForce4 = way better

The 2 cores can run parallelized applications a lot faster. AMD is awesome for gaming beats Intel despite a 1-1.2GHz core clock deficit :D

AMD is also a lot more efficient price / performance wise, consumes significantly less power and generates less heat.

Having said that I would suggest looking at the Dual Core model 1xx Opteron instead of the 3800+ Dual Core. The Opterons are very high quality chips (i.e. have failed fewer tests) and are known to overclock better.

Good Luck :D

illicitsc

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
I'd say the latter is faster but the performance difference is relatively small, so probably the first one is the sensible thing to choose.

im glad that u said to choose the first, but how can u even say that the p4 is faster?

Admiral_Cecil

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2005
Hello,

Get an Opteron 165 (2 X 2.0 ghz) or 175 (2 X 2.2 ghz). Both OC better than the X2, runs cooler, lower wattage, and come in 2 X 1mb cache.

They are like the cream of the crop when it comes to quality and reliability like the FX. It is more expensive than the X2, but for the quality/ speed you are getting something that's good as the FX for less.

hella-d

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
The A63 3200+ Dual-Core Of-Course...In Alot (As In Most) Gaming Tests And Most Other Tests Have Been Know To Be Right On The Heels Of P4Prescotts 3.8s And Some Of The Older Northwood Based Extreme Editions, Not To Mention The Benafits Of True Dual-Core Over [Fake-Ass] Hyperthreading, And The Fact That The A64s Run ALOT Cooler And Overclock To Kick-Ass Speed If Your Into That...Thus The X2 A54s Are A Better Value

linux_0

Splendid
im glad that u said to choose the first, but how can u even say that the p4 is faster?

Benches show it... I don't really care if they're synthetic or not.

Benchmarks are supposed to be taken with a giant mountain of salt, especially synthetic ones, besides practically all major MFGs have been busted manipulating benchmarks or cheating outright.

I very wise person once said, "trust but verify".

Semper Fi Linux on!

link75

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
you guys are all mouth sorry to say so :!:

Everyone keeps quoting benckmarks and fictitious facts. No single person has given a link to a benchmark or even an decent article/review supporting his claim.
I personally wont make a choice cause the fact is i DONT have any links to back my claims up, an isolated personal experience with one miserable PC you bought and had good luck or bad luck (as the case may be ) cannot be a standard for recommendations to anyone,this is common sense. i suggest you guys do the same. Quote reference or shut up.

WINDSHEAR

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
personally, I'd go with the P4 and overclock to 4.6Ghz with watercooling. It's not hard. I don't care if you can overclock it that high or not, but I know that P4's have good overclocking potential, and even win over AMD's in overclocking benchmarks. My 3.0Ghz P4 benchmarked with SiSoft Sandra beats the 3.2Ghz provided in the charts. I don't know why, but it does, and if you want a screenshot, I will post one gladly, because I'd like to know why. :)

I'd also be happy to go with the AMD 3800.. its not a bad choice, but like everyone else says, you'd probably be better off with an Opteron :)

Slaytus

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
ya they've only based it on the cpu i meaning which would be better to go if i was to go with the p4 with DDR2 or with the amd dual core with normal DDR400 but ive decided to go with the AMD ive seen stats of the jsut hte chip alone and then compared the rams.

ShortyNumber45

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005

Everyone keeps quoting benckmarks and fictitious facts. No single person has given a link to a benchmark or even an decent article/review supporting his claim.
I personally wont make a choice cause the fact is i DONT have any links to back my claims up, an isolated personal experience with one miserable PC you bought and had good luck or bad luck (as the case may be ) cannot be a standard for recommendations to anyone,this is common sense. i suggest you guys do the same. Quote reference or shut up.

EDIT:Ok, Here's the proof---->http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/08/01/dual/page9.html

illicitsc

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006

EDIT:Ok, Here's the proof---->http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/08/01/dual/page9.html

dude when he meant p4 he said single!! with hyper threading not dual core..

WINDSHEAR

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
wanna challenge? I have Sisoft Sandra... and I'm working on downloading other benchmarking tools (I'm on dialup). I will guarantee you that my P4 will beat your AMD 3000. :)

illicitsc

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
sandra is such bs. intels just higher scores cuz its all multitasking.
lol my 3000+ is a wanna be fx-55 and even matches it in pcmark05