need help for overlocking 6600 gt agp

survivor

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2004
ı have a Gigabyte 6600 gt agp at 500/1000 stock. I raised the settings to 550/1100. I ran a few benchmark (3dmark03,05 and 06) it passed all but after playing for ten minutes need for speed most wanted it starts to slow down but no artifacts afterwards when ı reboot the windows it says my video card doesn't have sufficient power so it slowed down to a safer frequency. What should ı do? stop overclocking, get a new power supply (now ı use a cheap 400 watt) or raise the agp voltage? please help

p.s. ıf you post your 6600 gt agp overclock result ı appreciate

I got a 6600GT AGP workin with a 400w PSU (generic) and im supprised it gets up in the morning LOL

I might have a lighter system (less power requirements to hdds and cpu) then yours or my PSU is "better" then yours.

Mine overclocked to 550/1100 with a zalman copper cooler (the 7700Cu?), bran - Prolink, i used to get overheating issues cause the dam stock cooler was tiny and crap (that or the fan wasnt spinning at the propper speed, used to hit 93's and freeze).

survivor

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2004
maybe you are right it might be because of the stock cooler. but my psu still maybe the problem because ı have two hdds a zalman cnp9500 cooler for cpu additiol four case fans and my cpu and rams are overclocked so ı might need a powerful psu but you never know what is the real problem..

tenaciousleydead

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2004
it is the powersupply and id be amazed if you proved me wrong, the video card is throttleing itself to slower speeds because it cant operate with not enough power. Buy a nice antec 400watt powersupply for like 54 bucks, it will ensure that your components have a longer life also.

survivor

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2004
ı ordered for an aspire-x cruiser case and an aspire atx as500watt. it cost me nearly two hundred bucks for me and ı hope it is worth at it. ı wonder my damn cheap psu is the reason that ı cannot get over 2400 mhz for my venice cpuy. because ı read it can reach 2.7 and even 2.9 easily even though ı lowered the ram to 166 or 133 when it reboots it goes back to bios defaults.. besides how much do I need to push my video card do you think? ı would be ok if can reach a stable 570/1125 :) thanks everyone interested.

survivor

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2004
ı got my orders. ı built it last night. It looks wonderful and ı have no more a power problem my video card runs without a problem at 560/1100 besides with my new psu my computer booted after pushing higher values for my cpu but 3dmark crashed but ı think it is about the settings not a power issue anymore. Can anyone tell me ı am right?

tenaciousleydead

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2004
what are your ram timmings and speed? cause if your running 1:1 then your ram might not reach that and just crash you could try lowering the timings and giving it more voltage. and remember to lower the HyperTransport value to 4 so your ram stays at 166 and overclocked to 233 your ram will be 200. i dont know if im answering your question :)

check hypertransport speeds, ram timings, vcore, cooling and pci/agp lock - they all come into play

overclocking you can NEVER expect what anyone else gets its the luck of the draw - be happy you can actually get that far.

survivor

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2004
thanks for the advices ı am tired of trying settings and run benchmarks ı think ı will stop here and save some money then upgrade physically :)