Backup to CD-RW's

Can someone give me instructions on how to save the files on my hard drive to
cd-rw's? I run Windows XP Home edition.
13 answers Last reply
More about backup

    Can you be more specific? Documents - drag and drop. The entire drive - get imaging software. What is your CD mastering software - built in? Open help & support and type in CD or save to CD.

    --
    Just my 2¢ worth,
    Jeff
    "kfreyer" <kfreyer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:94C5297B-D675-448E-8D3D-6EB963045448@microsoft.com...
    | Can someone give me instructions on how to save the files on my hard drive to
    | cd-rw's? I run Windows XP Home edition.

    Do you have suggestions as to what type of imaging software to use? Since I
    am somewhat computer challenged ( know just enough to get myself in
    trouble!), I would need something that is very user friendly.

    "» mrtee «" wrote:

    > Can you be more specific? Documents - drag and drop. The entire drive - get imaging software. What is your CD mastering software - built in? Open help & support and type in CD or save to CD.
    >
    > --
    > Just my 2¢ worth,
    > Jeff
    > "kfreyer" <kfreyer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:94C5297B-D675-448E-8D3D-6EB963045448@microsoft.com...
    > | Can someone give me instructions on how to save the files on my hard drive to
    > | cd-rw's? I run Windows XP Home edition.

    I used Norton Ghost and Drive Image for years but switched to Acronis
    TrueImage a few months ago. It is easy to use. Just do a search on google
    and you'll find it right off.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    > Do you have suggestions as to what type of imaging software to use? Since
    > am somewhat computer challenged ( know just enough to get myself in
    > trouble!), I would need something that is very user friendly.
    >
    > "» mrtee «" wrote:
    >
    >> Can you be more specific? Documents - drag and drop. The entire drive -
    >> get imaging software. What is your CD mastering software - built in?
    >> Open help & support and type in CD or save to CD.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Just my 2¢ worth,
    >> Jeff
    >> "kfreyer" <kfreyer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> | Can someone give me instructions on how to save the files on my hard
    >> drive to
    >> | cd-rw's? I run Windows XP Home edition.

    I am about to purchase Acronis True Image as most people seem to find it the
    easiest to use.
    I would like some advice on its usage. At present I backup all my own
    documents monthly via XP Backup to a CD-R. I assume that if I had Acronis as
    well I should only use it to image my whole system but continue to use my
    monthly backup with XP Backup.
    Or can Acronis do this backup as well?
    Also how often should you backup the whole system?
    Regards
    Blair Malcolm

    > I used Norton Ghost and Drive Image for years but switched to Acronis
    > TrueImage a few months ago. It is easy to use. Just do a search on google
    > and you'll find it right off.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    > www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
    >

    > "kfreyer" <kfreyer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Do you have suggestions as to what type of imaging software to use?
    Since
    > > am somewhat computer challenged ( know just enough to get myself in
    > > trouble!), I would need something that is very user friendly.
    > >
    > > "» mrtee «" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Can you be more specific? Documents - drag and drop. The entire
    drive -
    > >> get imaging software. What is your CD mastering software - built in?
    > >> Open help & support and type in CD or save to CD.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Just my 2¢ worth,
    > >> Jeff
    > >> "kfreyer" <kfreyer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >> drive to

    Acronis True Image only does full system backups. You don't backup
    individual folders with it. But the nice thing about Acronis is that once
    you create a full system backup you can then add to it incrementally. So
    each time it is run it adds a new increment. You can run it's Explore option
    and that creates a virtual drive that looks and acts just like a hard drive.
    You can copy files out of it but can't add to it. An incremental backup can
    be done daily if you want to. There would be no need to run XP Backup.

    True Image has a good Help manual in the form of a pdf file complete with
    graphics etc. It is by far the easiest imaging tool I've used. Make certain
    you update to the latest version.
    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    TrueImage www.acronis.com is also my suggestion. I've been using it for 2 years and version 8.0 works much faster than the prior releases. As Harry said - "'very' easy to use" - I save the file in CD size chunks on a HDD and copy to DVD.

    --
    Just my 2¢ worth,
    Jeff
    "Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca> wrote in message news:ejh2H8AiEHA.1392@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
    | Acronis True Image only does full system backups. You don't backup
    | individual folders with it. But the nice thing about Acronis is that once
    | you create a full system backup you can then add to it incrementally. So
    | each time it is run it adds a new increment. You can run it's Explore option
    | and that creates a virtual drive that looks and acts just like a hard drive.
    | You can copy files out of it but can't add to it. An incremental backup can
    | be done daily if you want to. There would be no need to run XP Backup.
    |
    | True Image has a good Help manual in the form of a pdf file complete with
    | graphics etc. It is by far the easiest imaging tool I've used. Make certain
    | you update to the latest version.
    | --
    |
    | Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    | www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    You have been most helpful and I now have a clearer understanding of the
    programme..
    I would like to clarify some further points please.
    By using incremental additions I take it that if a full restore is required
    all the incremental additions would have to be restored as well.
    When using backup I selected differential backup which meant that that
    restore only had to use the latest differential backup.
    Does that facility exist in Acronis?
    If backing up the system direct to a CD-R will it automatically break it up
    to fit several CD-R's?
    Presumably the incremental backups should be added to the last CD-R disk. Is
    that right.
    Sorry to be asking so many questions but I do like to know what I am buying
    and their web site did not help
    Regards
    Blair

    > Acronis True Image only does full system backups. You don't backup
    > individual folders with it. But the nice thing about Acronis is that once
    > you create a full system backup you can then add to it incrementally. So
    > each time it is run it adds a new increment. You can run it's Explore
    option
    > and that creates a virtual drive that looks and acts just like a hard
    drive.
    > You can copy files out of it but can't add to it. An incremental backup
    can
    > be done daily if you want to. There would be no need to run XP Backup.
    >
    > True Image has a good Help manual in the form of a pdf file complete with
    > graphics etc. It is by far the easiest imaging tool I've used. Make
    certain
    > you update to the latest version.
    > --
    >
    > Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    > www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
    >

    > "Blair" <pabm@brachd.fsnet.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
    > >I am about to purchase Acronis True Image as most people seem to find it
    > >the
    > > easiest to use.
    > > I would like some advice on its usage. At present I backup all my own
    > > documents monthly via XP Backup to a CD-R. I assume that if I had
    Acronis
    > > as
    > > well I should only use it to image my whole system but continue to use
    my
    > > monthly backup with XP Backup.
    > > Or can Acronis do this backup as well?
    > > Also how often should you backup the whole system?
    > > Regards
    > > Blair Malcolm
    > >
    > > "Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca> wrote in message
    > >> I used Norton Ghost and Drive Image for years but switched to Acronis
    > >> TrueImage a few months ago. It is easy to use. Just do a search on
    google
    > >> and you'll find it right off.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >>
    > >> Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    > >> www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
    > >>

    > >> "kfreyer" <kfreyer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Since

    > > drive -

    Yes True Image (TI) will backup to CD and DVD (all types) and it spans
    media. You can also determine the size of chunks if you want to save to a
    second hard drive and burn to disk later. While it will burn incrementally
    it will not restore incrementally. In other words it treats all the
    increments as part of the total image and will restore accordingly. If you
    want you can simply d/l the manual from here
    http://www.acronis.com/download/docs/ That should give you a good idea of
    what the app can do.
    --

> [...]
    > certain
    >> you update to the latest version.
    >> --
    >>
    >> Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    >> www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
    >>

    >> "Blair" <pabm@brachd.fsnet.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
    >> >I am about to purchase Acronis True Image as most people seem to find it
    >> >the
    >> > easiest to use.
    >> > I would like some advice on its usage. At present I backup all my own
    >> > documents monthly via XP Backup to a CD-R. I assume that if I had
    > Acronis
    >> > as
    >> > well I should only use it to image my whole system but continue to use
    > my
    >> > monthly backup with XP Backup.
    >> > Or can Acronis do this backup as well?
    >> > Also how often should you backup the whole system?

    As I wrote, I save the .tib file as CD size chunks (there is a screen that asks you what media size) then burn to DVD or CD.

    Incremental backups would of course be on the last piece of media. When you begin a restore operation from removable media the last piece is inserted first.

    A screen asks which point you want to restore to, if you have 8 incremental files you could choose #5 or 1 or 7. TI will then begin the resore from that point.

    You can back up directly to CD but it takes longer, that is why I save to HDD. It is also quicker to restore from HDD than CD. I treat CD/DVD as a backup of a backup.

    --
    Just my 2¢ worth,
    Jeff
    "Blair" <pabm@brachd.fsnet.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message news:uaQUkxIiEHA.556@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    | You have been most helpful and I now have a clearer understanding of the
    | programme..
    | I would like to clarify some further points please.
    | By using incremental additions I take it that if a full restore is required
    | all the incremental additions would have to be restored as well.
    | When using backup I selected differential backup which meant that that
    | restore only had to use the latest differential backup.
    | Does that facility exist in Acronis?
    | If backing up the system direct to a CD-R will it automatically break it up
    | to fit several CD-R's?
    | Presumably the incremental backups should be added to the last CD-R disk. Is
    | that right.
    | Sorry to be asking so many questions but I do like to know what I am buying
    | and their web site did not help
    | Regards
    | Blair

    Thanks Harry you have helped me enormously.
    Regards
    Blair

> [...]
    > >> Acronis True Image only does full system backups. You don't backup
    > >> individual folders with it. But the nice thing about Acronis is that
    once
    > >> you create a full system backup you can then add to it incrementally.
    So
    > >> each time it is run it adds a new increment. You can run it's Explore
    > > option
    > >> and that creates a virtual drive that looks and acts just like a hard
    > > drive.
    > >> You can copy files out of it but can't add to it. An incremental backup
    > > can
    > >> be done daily if you want to. There would be no need to run XP Backup.
    > >>
    > >> True Image has a good Help manual in the form of a pdf file complete
    with
    > >> graphics etc. It is by far the easiest imaging tool I've used. Make

    Thanks for your information. Very helpful
    Regards
    Blair

    "» mrtee «" <hingelicker at new.rr.com> wrote in message
    As I wrote, I save the .tib file as CD size chunks (there is a screen that
    asks you what media size) then burn to DVD or CD.

    Incremental backups would of course be on the last piece of media. When you
    begin a restore operation from removable media the last piece is inserted
    first.

    A screen asks which point you want to restore to, if you have 8 incremental
    files you could choose #5 or 1 or 7. TI will then begin the resore from
    that point.

    You can back up directly to CD but it takes longer, that is why I save to
    HDD. It is also quicker to restore from HDD than CD. I treat CD/DVD as a
    backup of a backup.

    --
    Just my 2¢ worth,
    Jeff
    "Blair" <pabm@brachd.fsnet.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
    | You have been most helpful and I now have a clearer understanding of the
    | programme..
    | I would like to clarify some further points please.
    | By using incremental additions I take it that if a full restore is
    required
    | all the incremental additions would have to be restored as well.
    | When using backup I selected differential backup which meant that that
    | restore only had to use the latest differential backup.
    | Does that facility exist in Acronis?
    | If backing up the system direct to a CD-R will it automatically break it
    up
    | to fit several CD-R's?
    | Presumably the incremental backups should be added to the last CD-R disk.
    Is
    | that right.
    | Sorry to be asking so many questions but I do like to know what I am
    buying
    | and their web site did not help
    | Regards
    | Blair

    Blair, I just did a restore to a different drive (7200 from 5400) from an appended backup and was asked which image I wanted to restore.

    The newest version of TI, by the way, is 8. I doubt that Acronis would sell you TI 7 anymore.

    --
    Just my 2¢ worth,
    Jeff
    "Blair" <pabm@brachd.fsnet.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message news:usRTnGNiEHA.3288@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    | Thanks for your information. Very helpful
    | Regards
    | Blair

    Thanks again Jeff
    Blair, I just did a restore to a different drive (7200 from 5400) from an
    appended backup and was asked which image I wanted to restore.

    The newest version of TI, by the way, is 8. I doubt that Acronis would sell
    you TI 7 anymore.

    --
    Just my 2¢ worth,
    Jeff
    "Blair" <pabm@brachd.fsnet.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
    | Thanks for your information. Very helpful
    | Regards
    | Blair

Backup CD-Rom Microsoft Windows XP