Upgrading soundcard

mojo1860

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
Hi, ive got a Dell dimension 3000 with the intergrated sound, i play my music thru an amp but im looking for a better sound quality. Would getting a better soundcard do any thing and if so could anybody recomend one. Ive been looking at the soundblaster audigy 4 OEM. This one

Does this S/C let me connect it to my amp via an optical cable, ive looked at the spec but most of it is over my head.

Any help much appreciated.

Richard

FlyGuy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2005
I don't have a recommendation but that card isn't an Audigy "4" (no such thing) and it doesn't have an optical connection.

astrallite

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
The OEM Audigy 4 is actually a rebadged Audigy 2 Value.

You can still connect digitally using an RCA to stereo mini 1/8" converter or cable, which should be relatively cheap. You should be able to use either RCA end to the coaxially input port, but use the white (mono) one just in case.

nanoprobs

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
You can try and find this product. (HDA Digital X-Mystique 7.1 Gold/ Dolby Digital Live)
http://www.hidiaudio.com/products/mystique.html

It has optical out and it also includes an optical cable. At the moment I'm using this card, and it's not so expensive either. I bought it last year, it cost me about $105 U.S. If you are just looking for a optical signal output then I would say this is enough.

astrallite

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
Serious about good gaming sounds yes, but then quality of the DACs are questionable for $200, as you can get far superior external DACs like burr-brown for far cheaper, and the resampling is always ugly. If you were truly serious about bit for bit reproduction...I seriously doubt "X-Fi" would be in your vocabulary. I'm not saying this to put anyone down for their purchases or their preconceptions; it's just not a good value for the price.