ltcommander_data

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
Well, it looks like those rumours of a Celeron level dual core may be finally coming true. Intel appears to be getting ready to release a 2.66GHz core core with 2x1MB of L2 cache on a 533MHz FSB. It'll be called the Pentium D 805 and will be available for as low as $163.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20060123051023.html

It's hard to tell whether this is a good thing or a bad thing. The performance will no doubt be decidedly unimpressive due partially to the low clock speed, but especially to the bottlenecked FSB. Intel really aught to transition the new 65nm Celeron D's to a 667MHz FSB. At least the L2 cache hasn't been cut down. It'd be interesting to see how it performs against the Celeron D 355, the new 65nm Celeron Ds, and the 521 though.

Heat and power consumption will be less of an issue due to the lower clock speed and FSB. It would be even lower if Intel cared to enabled EIST, since with a minimum multiplier of 14 with a 133MHz bus it would downclock nicely to 1862MHz.

It's probably just a stunt to clear out the last of the 8xx inventory including 820D rejects, but if mass volumes encourages developers to multithread I really can't complain. I wouldn't buy one myself of course.

Vile

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004
I agree, you're better off waiting for the prices to drop in the next week or so. Please don't buy a Celeron, even if it's Dual core, you should be better with a single core P4 (If you can't afford a P4 Dual core that is.)

K8MAN

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2005
Dual core cely's are gonna be great. Now stupid people can install as many backround apps as they want and wont be plauged by a slow computer :D

endyen

Splendid
Wrong on bothe counts. The northwood celeries were real crap, the only good prescott is the celeron D (not as good as a sempron, but a whole lot better than the old p4 celerons).
I'm with K8man on the dual core celerons. It will take Joe emailer twice as long to bog down a dual core.
It may cost bestbuy a few bucks in maintenance charges, but cleaning someone elses crap has never been my idea of a glory job

morg

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
dual celerons core comes from flawed dual core pentiums, if too much are defective trough process, a new brand is born... and a dual core sempron will be seen soon. and will be cheaper and faster, consuming less, produicing less heat, having an integrated graphic controller, integrated memory controller, having large overclocking capability, hardware encoding features, virtualization features and OS independant.

ok...
and for programmers having to write code...
they're working at it and it is already available trough the multi core consoles xbox 360, ps3, and the N evolution
nuff said

and celerons with 1mb cache per core ?
that is the actual config from the BRAND NEW INTEL LOW COST P4
2.93ghz, fsb 533, 1mb cache

oh so it was a celeron named as a p4 LOL
that is what i expected from intel...
single core, it's a p4 and dual core, it's a celeron...
bravo intel, bravo !!!!! ;)