Closed

Windows 95 OEM Registration Number

I have an old Compaq P2200 computer for my son running
windows 95. I used a restore disc to clear out the system
and when the computer booted back up it asks for a
registration number like xxx-oem-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx. Compaq
and Microsoft no longer support this program. Where can I
get an OEM # so I can get my kids computer working again?

Thanks
5 answers Last reply
More about windows registration number

    Should be on the "Certificate of Authenticity" that came with Win95. Mine
    was attached to the small Win95 "manual" that came with the machine. Also
    displayed on the "System Properties" window but that won't help much now.

    "Dan" <slc84106@aol.com> wrote in message
    > I have an old Compaq P2200 computer for my son running
    > windows 95. I used a restore disc to clear out the system
    > and when the computer booted back up it asks for a
    > registration number like xxx-oem-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx. Compaq
    > and Microsoft no longer support this program. Where can I
    > get an OEM # so I can get my kids computer working again?
    >
    > Thanks

    Mouseyface,

    You raise an interesting point. I also am looking for a "certificate of authenticity" number so that I can re-install Windows 95 on a friend's computer. When I attempted to re-install without the number, I was prompted onscreen to call 1-800-RU-LEGIT. After waiting for about 5 minutes and navigating the voicemail, I was referred to another number, which asked for a 4-digit code, which I do not have. So I took Bill Starbuck's advice and called 1-800-Microsoft. They in turn passed me off to yet another number, a (425) area code number. Well, after waiting another 10 minutes on hold I had to go to work. I won't even tell you number of emails we sent without receiving anything more than the automated "We received your email" response.

    My point is this: My friend bought her computer and paid for Windows 95. Like many people, she lost something. Should it be this difficult to find out her certificate number? Personally, I don't think so. So I'll take sc57's numbers and say thanks very much to sc57 for helping my friend get her computer running again. While I understand licensing issues, it's things like this that make people critical of Microsoft and question their business practices.
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    MS no longer supports Windows 95. And if it came with her computer it was
    probably OEM and MS never supported OEM OS's. Only the computer
    manufacturer supported these and she should call them.

    You, too, make it hard for the rest of us with this attitude. Because
    people don't put their registrations numbers in a safe place or record them
    in a special notebook, they think you can "get a free number" online. Many
    of these numbers are stolen or fake and many of these people requesting them
    have copied or pirated software.

    I am not taking up for MS but for all of us out there who, now, have to
    activate software. The activation wasn't to protect MS from pirates but
    from ordinary folks who "give" copies to friends and neighbors.

    As for your friend, she can get a copy of Win95 on ebay with a legitimate
    number for around $15.00. I am sorry she lost her number but tell her write
    them in a little book, like some of us do out here. Also, it is printed on
    the little book that came with W95, the certificate of authenticity label on
    the front. It would be better if she purchased W98SE.

    This is just the way that I feel. I lose things, too, but not something
    like this. I am fussing because of the annoyance that this practice has
    caused.

    "lostinspace" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Mouseyface,
    >
    > You raise an interesting point. I also am looking for a "certificate of
    authenticity" number so that I can re-install Windows 95 on a friend's
    computer. When I attempted to re-install without the number, I was prompted
    onscreen to call 1-800-RU-LEGIT. After waiting for about 5 minutes and
    navigating the voicemail, I was referred to another number, which asked for
    a 4-digit code, which I do not have. So I took Bill Starbuck's advice and
    called 1-800-Microsoft. They in turn passed me off to yet another number, a
    (425) area code number. Well, after waiting another 10 minutes on hold I had
    to go to work. I won't even tell you number of emails we sent without
    receiving anything more than the automated "We received your email"
    response.

    > My point is this: My friend bought her computer and paid for Windows 95.
    Like many people, she lost something. Should it be this difficult to find
    out her certificate number? Personally, I don't think so. So I'll take
    sc57's numbers and say thanks very much to sc57 for helping my friend get
    her computer running again. While I understand licensing issues, it's things
    like this that make people critical of Microsoft and question their business
    practices.
  4. Thanks for the product keys. I am reformatting a computer and I had to start all the way back to Windows 95. I never would have found these authentic keys. They work! Thanks again.
  5. Necro post.

Microsoft Computers Compaq OEM Windows 95 Windows