Sign in with
Your question

my new comp: what you think? + question on mobo and cooling

Last response: in Systems
January 23, 2006 11:34:42 PM

always wanted to, and now i'm finally building a comp for the first time.

assuming it's for gaming, everything look okay? btw, i'm not gonna OC.
here're the specs with a few questions:

CPU: Athlon64 3500+

MOBO: MSI K8N NEO4-F or ASUS A8N-E, is one better than the other for this machine? don't need SLI. (and what is the difference between the A8N-E and A8N-5X? other than the 5X being slightly cheaper)

RAM: 2 x CORSAIR 1GB DDR2-667
is there enough of a performance difference between 533 and 667 to make each stick worth an extra 9 bucks? should i just get 533?

HD: WD 200GB 8M-SATA2

DVD: BenQ DW1640

VGA: probably a 256MB GeForce 7800 GT

PSU: Enermax FMA 460W

CASE: haven't found one yet, since i don't live in the US and don't have access to most of the things people recommed. although i generally know what makes a good case now, i'm worried about picking one that can keep everything as cool as possible, primarily because in the summertime it gets to almost 100 degrees in our apartment. would the fans that come with a case be enough to keep things from getting too hot? should i get some more? how many fans will i need? or to keep this comp cool in this kind of environment do i have to use another cooling method?

LCD: Dell 2405FPW 24" Wide Screen

thanks for any input!
January 23, 2006 11:45:47 PM

Quote:
always wanted to, and now i'm finally building a comp for the first time.

Congrats. Building a pc is always fun and exciting. I'm axiously awaiting the parts for my 3rd personal build. :o 

Quote:
MOBO: MSI K8N NEO4-F or ASUS A8N-E, is one better than the other for this machine?

This could really go either way. I'm on an MSI board right now, but it's three years old. I actually grabbed the Asus A8N-E. It seemed to be popular and get good reviews. I also liked the layout. The PCI-E x16 slot won't force the video card to eat up a valuable PCI slot. This may or may not be important to you, but I think either board will run you fine.

Quote:
RAM: 2 x CORSAIR 1GB DDR2-667

Perhaps someone can answer my question. :)  With the last pc I built (three years ago - XP2600+/512mb DDR333/9500 Pro), I researched that faster memory than the fsb can handle is virtually useless in gaming. AMD 64 bit chips now have the memory controller onboard, or whatnot, so I'm not sure if getting anything above pc3200/DDR400 is overkill and won't help a bit in gaming. Regardless, Corsair's and OCZ's low latency 2x1Gb memory seems to be extremely popular for gaming.

(I never really asked a question. :)  I guess my question would be: Is anything higher than DDR400 overkill for gaming? (non-overclocker))

Good luck with your build!
January 24, 2006 12:22:26 AM

100F ambient temps? Holy Cow...
Look at this case as a possibility:
Antec SOHO Tower:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811129159

The memory you buy should be matched to the mobo you choose.
Visit the memory brand oem websites for a match. If you are not going to OC (good thing in that heat!), 2.6volt DDR400 CL3 memory will work fine and only costs about $80US/Gig. Get 2 sticks x 1024 for $160US.
Related resources
January 24, 2006 12:29:17 AM

Premium memory is for overclocking. It will run low latency timings at above stock speeds - IF you run higher voltage thru it (more heat). At standard clocks you will still likely need higher voltage but you MAY be able to run tighter timings. In the real world it won't matter much and the extra $ for high-end memory is wasted. Its for overclockers. Brand name value ram works just fine.
January 24, 2006 12:44:41 AM

yeah, it gets really hot here and we got no A/C!

that case looks perfect, but i don't think i can find one here.
January 24, 2006 12:50:01 AM

um, am i missing something, or is nobody noticing that this guy is looking to put ddr2 in a ddr slot? HELLO!?!?!

by the way, if you're not looking to overclock, consider the san diego 3700+, here, it's a few bucks more than the 3500+.
January 24, 2006 12:57:05 AM

First off, neither your processor nor your mobo support DDR2 memory. Only Intel processors support DDR2, right now. So, go with Newf's suggestion and use DDR400, PC3200, memory.

As to cases, you want a lot of fans, preferably 120mm fans to keep down noise. You can't go wrong with Lian-Li, but they aren't cheap. Silverstone also makes a good case. More to the point, with 100 degree ambient temp, don't rely on a standard CPU cooler. Use a Zalman cooler or some other honking big cooler, but check the dimensions before you buy it. Make sure it'll fit in your mobo and case. Use thermal paste, too. You might also want to get passive cooling for your RAM. Copper heatsinks are nice. I've used my PC in the summer when it's 90 degrees with no problem, but I can't honestly say how you'll do. Water cooling would certainly be safer, but is hard to install and costs a bunch.

The difference between the Asus A8N-E and the A8N5X is that the A8NE uses the nForce4-Ultra chipset while the A8N5X uses just the nForce-4. There may be some other feature differences, you can check it out at Asus' web site.

I've always used Asus products, but have never tried MSI mobos, so I don't know which to recommed. I do know that first tier resellers like OCP, Falcon-NW and Velocity-Micro all use Asus mobos.

Hope this helps. :D 
January 24, 2006 1:17:28 AM

Quote:

so i don't need the high-end DDR2, but i should still get dual channel since these mobos can use it, right? after all, 1GB DDR2-533 is only a couple dollars more than DDR400 here...

Any good quality PC3200DDR-RAM should be fine. Dual channel means you have to fill at least two of the mobo's memory slots with RAM. You'll have to check the manufacturer's manual to find out which slots need to be filled if you're only using two sticks of RAM 'cause there are 4 memory slots and it's important to use the right two slots.

I don't mean to be disrespectful, but your technical knowledge seems spotty. Are you sure you don't want to rethink building your own PC?
January 24, 2006 1:22:55 AM

Quote:
um, am i missing something, or is nobody noticing that this guy is looking to put ddr2 in a ddr slot? HELLO!?!?!

by the way, if you're not looking to overclock, consider the san diego 3700+, here, it's a few bucks more than the 3500+.

thanks for the heads up. is "dual channel DDR" not the same as "DDR2"? according to the OEM site, the K8N NEO4-F supports "dual channel DDR," i must not be getting this yet, and i thought it was easy enough to understand! :( 

i will consider that 3700+ if i see it for a good price, but it's not very common here at the moment, whereas 3500+ is everywhere.
January 24, 2006 1:29:23 AM

Quote:

so i don't need the high-end DDR2, but i should still get dual channel since these mobos can use it, right? after all, 1GB DDR2-533 is only a couple dollars more than DDR400 here...

Any good quality PC3200DDR-RAM should be fine. Dual channel means you have to fill at least two of the mobo's memory slots with RAM. You'll have to check the manufacturer's manual to find out which slots need to be filled if you're only using two sticks of RAM 'cause there are 4 memory slots and it's important to use the right two slots.

I don't mean to be disrespectful, but your technical knowledge seems spotty. Are you sure you don't want to rethink building your own PC?

thanks, i know generally how dual channel works, i misread the OEM site. not as used to all the terms in english

no insult taken, i am new to building, but gotta start somewhere. tired of spending so much money on computers that are obsolete almost right after i buy em...
January 24, 2006 1:38:10 AM

Quote:
First off, neither your processor nor your mobo support DDR2 memory. Only Intel processors support DDR2, right now. So, go with Newf's suggestion and use DDR400, PC3200, memory.

As to cases, you want a lot of fans, preferably 120mm fans to keep down noise. You can't go wrong with Lian-Li, but they aren't cheap. Silverstone also makes a good case. More to the point, with 100 degree ambient temp, don't rely on a standard CPU cooler. Use a Zalman cooler or some other honking big cooler, but check the dimensions before you buy it. Make sure it'll fit in your mobo and case. Use thermal paste, too. You might also want to get passive cooling for your RAM. Copper heatsinks are nice. I've used my PC in the summer when it's 90 degrees with no problem, but I can't honestly say how you'll do. Water cooling would certainly be safer, but is hard to install and costs a bunch.

The difference between the Asus A8N-E and the A8N5X is that the A8NE uses the nForce4-Ultra chipset while the A8N5X uses just the nForce-4. There may be some other feature differences, you can check it out at Asus' web site.

I've always used Asus products, but have never tried MSI mobos, so I don't know which to recommed. I do know that first tier resellers like OCP, Falcon-NW and Velocity-Micro all use Asus mobos.

Hope this helps. :D 

looks like i'll be getting 3200 ddr400

thanks for the tips on cooling, i've been having a hard time finding more general information on keeping things cool. sounds like fans and heat sinks should be enough (i'll definitely get a case that has good ventillation, although strangely, most of what i've seen for sale so far has no vent on the front, which i would assume would be pretty bad, especially with a high ambient temp).
January 24, 2006 2:12:18 AM

ok, now i understand the dual channel thing totally. back when i was first looking into RAM, i assumed that DDR2 = dual channel, and since then really haven't paid much attn to RAM. now i know they are two different things. got it.
January 24, 2006 8:09:18 PM

I am building a computer for the first time too and have been doing tons or research. To get the basics down as far as building a computer check out www.mysuperpc.com The RAM thing is true, get pc3200. Also, dont go with ASUS or MSI (definitely not MSI, I have read about people having a lot of problems with them, like them not working after a few months) go with an ASUS if your getting a delux or premium, but from research, I can say the EPoX EP-9NPA+ SLI is a good board (even though you don't want to use the SLI feature, it is layed out very well, and just seems to be better than the ASUS boards)

Also, since you will be in hot weather, and you have the money to build a computer...get an air conditioner too, at least for the room your computer is in....seems obvious to me, maybe im being naiive. Then just get a regular case, which you don't seem to be worried about.
January 24, 2006 10:30:20 PM

thanks for the tips on cooling, i've been having a hard time finding more general information on keeping things cool. sounds like fans and heat sinks should be enough (i'll definitely get a case that has good ventillation, although strangely, most of what i've seen for sale so far has no vent on the front, which i would assume would be pretty bad, especially with a high ambient temp).
Quote:

Glad I could help. I have to correct myself, though. I said a case should have 120mm fans to keep down noise, that should have been 120cm fans.

When your buying memory, be sure the pin count is correct for the socket on your mobo, too.
January 24, 2006 11:37:38 PM

Quote:
I am building a computer for the first time too and have been doing tons or research. To get the basics down as far as building a computer check out www.mysuperpc.com The RAM thing is true, get pc3200. Also, dont go with ASUS or MSI (definitely not MSI, I have read about people having a lot of problems with them, like them not working after a few months) go with an ASUS if your getting a delux or premium, but from research, I can say the EPoX EP-9NPA+ SLI is a good board (even though you don't want to use the SLI feature, it is layed out very well, and just seems to be better than the ASUS boards)

yeah, when i started doing research i looked at that site, and this one:
http://gaming-computers.net/index.html
along with a lot of people on these forums, they both have good things to say about MSI mobos, so that's why i was considering the k8n neo4. i've also seen quite a few people here satisfied with their a8n-e. i've kinda decided to go with the a8n-e, since it looks like the only mobo of the three that supports sata2.

people are saying nice things about that EPoX board, too, but they're a lot harder to find than ASUS here.

Quote:
Also, since you will be in hot weather, and you have the money to build a computer...get an air conditioner too, at least for the room your computer is in....seems obvious to me, maybe im being naiive. Then just get a regular case, which you don't seem to be worried about.

actually, we have an A/C, but we can't use it 24 hrs a day, as that will quadruple our electricity bill (and that's only the cost to cool one room); so no matter what this comp is gonna have to beat the heat! admittedly, this is not a very efficient apartment in terms of heat control (unlike most places in the US), so the A/C has to work full time.... very expensive.
January 25, 2006 12:12:28 AM

You can always look into water cooling--have no idea how it works, but i know it does--and I don't think it is too ridiculously expensive either. Just do research on it--its good.
January 25, 2006 12:36:30 AM

Quote:
You can always look into water cooling--have no idea how it works, but i know it does--and I don't think it is too ridiculously expensive either. Just do research on it--its good.

yeah, i'm researching it right now, but most people consider it a pain to set up. i'd like to keep the difficult stuff to a minimum, since this is my first build. i'll be building this thing before summer's here, so i'll probably start with less and monitor temps, adding better stuff when necessary.
January 25, 2006 12:39:51 AM

Quote:
Glad I could help. I have to correct myself, though. I said a case should have 120mm fans to keep down noise, that should have been 120cm fans.

I don't know too many cases that can handle fans almost 4 feet in diameter...They sure should cool well!
!