Display stuck in 16 colour mode

Can anyone help? Please excuse the long explanation, but I don't know which
facts are relevant

My PC display appears to be stuck in 16 colour mode. I'm unable to view or
change the display settings from Control Panel. On double-clicking
"Display" in Control Panel nothing happens. The mouse pointer just briefly
changes to the hour glass. I've tried replacing the Desk.cpl Control Panel
Extension file in Windows\System but this made no difference. I've also
checked the Display Adapter settings in System Device Manager - no apparent
problems or conflicts and the listed display drivers appear to present on
the hard disc. I haven't tried replacing the driver files - I assume that
any damaged files would have been found by Scandisk. The PC is a Toshiba
Satellite Pro 400CDT and the Toshiba hardware diagnostic doesn't show any
problems. I've run out of ideas.

The problem became apparent after I tried to install Eraser software which
failed to install properly and had to be uninstalled manually. (Deleted the
directory, deleted any Registry keys that referred to Eraser then ran
RegClean.) I then installed the Mozilla browser, but all the images were
poor quality. It was then that I found I couldn't view or change the
Display properties. The PC is running Windows 95 version 4.00.950B and
Internet Explorer version 5.5. Both are fully up to date with any Service
Pack and critical updates, etc.

Windows 95 is an OEM version and I didn't received any installation discs
from the person who originally set up the PC and the utility for creating
installation discs isn't on the hard drive. However all the Windows Cab
files appear to be present. If the recommended fix is to reinstall Windows,
can this be done using the Cab files - if possible overwriting the existing
installation rather than creating a second copy. The Cabs directory
contains Setup.exe, Setup25.i.exe and Setup32.exe.
3 answers Last reply
More about display stuck colour mode

    Do Start / Run / MSConfig and make sure Normal Startup is selected. Choose
    Advanced and make sure VGA 640x480x16 is NOT selected. Do Start / Settings /
    Control Panel / Display / Settings / Advanced / Adapter and note the adapter
    description. If this is some type of generic VGA driver, or if it doesn't
    exactly match the adapter installed in your machine, then you need to
    download and install the video adapter drivers specific to your particular
    hardware. These should be available at the video adapter card
    manufacturer's www site, or if the video adapter is integrated into the
    motherboard then it should be available at the motherboard manufacturer's
    www site. You may have been provided with a CD as part of your system
    deal - in that case the drivers should be on that CD. If you have upgraded
    your video adapter since you bought the machine then the upgrade should have
    included a CD that would have the drivers on it.
    --
    Jeff Richards
    MS MVP W95/W98
    "Charlie" <anonymous@isp.com> wrote in message
    > Can anyone help? Please excuse the long explanation, but I don't know
    which
    > facts are relevant
    >
    > My PC display appears to be stuck in 16 colour mode. I'm unable to view
    or
    > change the display settings from Control Panel. On double-clicking
    > "Display" in Control Panel nothing happens. The mouse pointer just
    briefly
    > changes to the hour glass. I've tried replacing the Desk.cpl Control
    Panel
    > Extension file in Windows\System but this made no difference. I've also
    > checked the Display Adapter settings in System Device Manager - no
    apparent
    > problems or conflicts and the listed display drivers appear to present on
    > the hard disc. I haven't tried replacing the driver files - I assume that
    > any damaged files would have been found by Scandisk. The PC is a Toshiba
    > Satellite Pro 400CDT and the Toshiba hardware diagnostic doesn't show any
    > problems. I've run out of ideas.
    >
    > The problem became apparent after I tried to install Eraser software which
    > failed to install properly and had to be uninstalled manually. (Deleted
    the
    > directory, deleted any Registry keys that referred to Eraser then ran
    > RegClean.) I then installed the Mozilla browser, but all the images were
    > poor quality. It was then that I found I couldn't view or change the
    > Display properties. The PC is running Windows 95 version 4.00.950B and
    > Internet Explorer version 5.5. Both are fully up to date with any Service
    > Pack and critical updates, etc.
    >
    > Windows 95 is an OEM version and I didn't received any installation discs
    > from the person who originally set up the PC and the utility for creating
    > installation discs isn't on the hard drive. However all the Windows Cab
    > files appear to be present. If the recommended fix is to reinstall
    Windows,
    > can this be done using the Cab files - if possible overwriting the
    existing
    > installation rather than creating a second copy. The Cabs directory
    > contains Setup.exe, Setup25.i.exe and Setup32.exe.

    Thanks for the suggestion. However Start / Run MSConfig produced the error
    message "Cannot find the file 'msconfig' ....". Start / Find / Files /
    msconfig.* (including subfolders) didn't find any files. My other Win95
    machine, which is stable, doesn't have the MSConfig file either.

    Start / Settings / Control Panel / Display doesn't work. This is one of the
    symptoms I reported. The "Display" window doesn't open. The cursor just
    briefly changes to an hour glass but nothing else happens. The PC is a
    notebook and none of the hardware or drivers have been changed in the last
    five years.

    Regards
    Charlie

    "Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au> wrote in message
> [...]
    > > Display properties. The PC is running Windows 95 version 4.00.950B and
    > > Internet Explorer version 5.5. Both are fully up to date with any
    Service
    > > Pack and critical updates, etc.
    > >
    > > Windows 95 is an OEM version and I didn't received any installation
    discs
    > > from the person who originally set up the PC and the utility for
    creating
    > > installation discs isn't on the hard drive. However all the Windows Cab
    > > files appear to be present. If the recommended fix is to reinstall
    > Windows,
    > > can this be done using the Cab files - if possible overwriting the
    > existing
    > > installation rather than creating a second copy. The Cabs directory
    > > contains Setup.exe, Setup25.i.exe and Setup32.exe.

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    MSConfig isn't part of W95, and that part of the response should have been
    deleted. It is still possible that you need to adjust these settings, but
    since you don't have the program this makes it a bit unlikely.

    The rest of the description is appropriate. It is not unknown for a video
    driver to simply become corrupted and produce the symptoms you are
    reporting, whether or not the software setup has changed.

    Re-installing Windows is generally not effective, as it simply installs the
    generic video driver and that's probably what the problem is.
    --
    > Thanks for the suggestion. However Start / Run MSConfig produced the
    error
    > message "Cannot find the file 'msconfig' ....". Start / Find / Files /
    > msconfig.* (including subfolders) didn't find any files. My other Win95
    > machine, which is stable, doesn't have the MSConfig file either.
    >
    > Start / Settings / Control Panel / Display doesn't work. This is one of
    the
    > symptoms I reported. The "Display" window doesn't open. The cursor just
    > briefly changes to an hour glass but nothing else happens. The PC is a
    > notebook and none of the hardware or drivers have been changed in the last
    > five years.

Control Panel Windows Displays