How do I prepare for "what if's" before installing SP2

Reading several of the recent posts on SP2, I'm hoping that I won't have any
trouble after installing SP2. However, I did see enough posts to know that
something might happen. So, what can/should I do before I download and
install SP2. I'm not a super-techie, so I don't even know if I have a boot
disc?? Do I make that?
I appreciate that there are a lot of very smart users out there, but I'm
hoping that since this is the Windowsxp.basics group, there are other users
reading this who have the same questions.
Many Thanks

Hi,

Keep in mind that no one who has a successful install seeks out these
support groups and tells us everything is all hunky-dory, we only see the
trouble spots. And, actually, compared to the SP1 release I think it's been
kind of mild. Basically, I've seen two major issues: 1) People multitasking
while installing the Service Pack. Simply put: Don't, let the update install
unimpeded. 2) We've seen an issue arise with Prescott (high end Intel P-IV)
cpu's and the i865/i875 chipsets. These are generally only found in custom
builds, and you would know if you have one. Installing SP2 on one of these
systems generally results in a boot hang that is only resolved by
uninstalling, no fix is available yet.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"zona4351" <zona4351@cox.net> wrote in message
> Reading several of the recent posts on SP2, I'm hoping that I won't have
> any
> trouble after installing SP2. However, I did see enough posts to know
> that
> something might happen. So, what can/should I do before I download and
> install SP2. I'm not a super-techie, so I don't even know if I have a
> boot
> disc?? Do I make that?
> I appreciate that there are a lot of very smart users out there, but I'm
> hoping that since this is the Windowsxp.basics group, there are other
> users
> reading this who have the same questions.
> Many Thanks

Browse around at these sites.

http://jmfmvps.mvps.org/SP2.htm

http://bink.nu/files/SP2KBs.htm

Gord

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 19:50:29 -0700, "zona4351" <zona4351@cox.net> wrote:

>Reading several of the recent posts on SP2, I'm hoping that I won't have any
>trouble after installing SP2. However, I did see enough posts to know that
>something might happen. So, what can/should I do before I download and
>install SP2. I'm not a super-techie, so I don't even know if I have a boot
>disc?? Do I make that?
>I appreciate that there are a lot of very smart users out there, but I'm
>hoping that since this is the Windowsxp.basics group, there are other users
>reading this who have the same questions.
>Many Thanks

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

SP2 is supposed to automatically create a Restore Point before
installing itself. In an abundance of caution, you might want to
create the Restore Point manually. If the need should arise to
restore to before the SP2 install, make sure you first remove SP2
in Control Panel's Add/Remove before doing the restore.

Good luck,
George