USB Serial Adapter problems

zargian

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2002
My Dell does not have a D-9 port so I am trying to use a USB Serial Adapter (CP-US-03, http://www.cptechusa.com/cgi/products.php?cat=3&sc=30) made by CP Technologies.

I uninstalled the software (BoxCar Pro 4.3) I am using, uninstalled the driver (by Prolific), and restarted... then installed the software, plugged the device in, and let XP install the driver.

In the device manager the port is listed as "GM USB-to-Serial (COM4)." When I try to connect to the device (logger) through COM4 the software says: Logger not found. Your logger may not be hooked up correctly, you chose the wrong communictions port, your serial cable may be faulty..."

Any suggestions on anything? Would it help to change the settings for "Data bits, Parity, Stop bits, Flow Control" and if so, is it a stab in the dark or is there a way to make an educated guess.

Also, I just realized the company, OnSet (www.onsetcomp.com) sells and suggests using this adapter (http://www.keyspan.com/products/usb/USA19HS/).

Is there that big of a difference? Why would two adapters be that different? Isn't there a way to configure my adapter to work like the Keyspan adapter?

Thanks in advance

zargian

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2002
really? no insight from tomshardware forum? this forum was able to answered all of my questions in the past.

what is this world coming to?

Softech

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011
Hi, the reason could be that your device is looking for a different COM port number, for example COM port 1 instead of COM port 4. If you right click on the created port in Device Manager and chose Properties then you can change the COM port number.
Regarding the difference between the adapters, the main difference is which chipset the adapter is designed with, my experience is that USB to Serial adapter cables with a FTDI chipset are compatible with most devices and the easiest to setup and use.

loretica21

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
hello, I'm working with a hobo weather station, O want to use a usb to serial adapter and I have the same error that you, and when I configure the port in the software I have this error: "logger error (9), invalid byte returned. the logger has stopped comunicating with the computer. make sure that your logger is correctly connected and the serial cable is working". I want to know if the adapter for this logger is especial or what can I do?, I need anything help.....please.. thanks...

TRENDING THREADS