What's the better firewall?

I wonder which firewall I should run? PC-Cillin or SP2?

Best,
Karl
7 answers Last reply
More about what firewall

    Zone Alarm version 4.5.594.000

    Don't try any version yet starting with 5.x. - ZoneLabs is still having
    problems.

    "kage" <skywagon185@nomsn.com> wrote in message
    >I wonder which firewall I should run? PC-Cillin or SP2?
    >
    > Best,
    > Karl

    Narl, I have to agree with Thomas about the need for a better "wall" than
    what SP 2 can handle, but on the other hand I went with Norton Internet
    Security Pro.. Yes, I know it is pricey, but so is spending time fixing
    programs. Time is money. I had Trend Micro PC-Cillian for a year and ran into
    continual update problems. Also, had an infected file and called for support
    and the answer was "Oh well from what we know over the phone it is not a
    virus." They did no trouble shooting with me while I was at my computer.
    Went to Symantic's site and found files that pointed to an infection. So, I'm
    with Norton's software now for protection and I like the feedback a lot
    better. Also, their Help over the internet is pretty on target for trouble
    shooting. By the way TrendM comes out of Australia/ Japan and Norton/Symantic
    is American and has the largest subscription base.
    Good Luck,
    Thom Bailey (No, not the Symantic Thom) 5th Grade Teacher

    "kage" wrote:

    > I wonder which firewall I should run? PC-Cillin or SP2?
    >
    > Best,
    > Karl

    As said numerous times, Windows firewall does nothing to prevent outgoing
    traffic, it only monitors and blocks incoming.
    So PC-cillin (or about any other 3rd party firewall´) would be the way to
    go...

    --
    Tumppi
    Reply to group

    "kage" <skywagon185@nomsn.com> kirjoitti viestissä
    > I wonder which firewall I should run? PC-Cillin or SP2?
    >
    > Best,
    > Karl

    you did answer my question thomas. i always wanted to
    know if ICF enabled is enough to monitor and control the
    traffic and keep my computer safe.
    one more question, do ICF or any other firewall have to
    monitor outgoing traffic? why?
    thks.

    Greetings --

    WinXP's built-in firewall is _adequate_ at stopping incoming
    attacks, and hiding your ports from probes. What WinXP also does not
    do, is protect you from any Trojans or spyware that you (or someone
    else using your computer) might download and install inadvertently.
    It doesn't monitor out-going traffic at all, other than to check for
    IP-spoofing, much less block (or at even ask you about) the bad or the
    questionable out-going signals. It assumes that any application you
    have on your hard drive is there because you want it there, and
    therefore has your "permission" to access the Internet. Further,
    because the ICF (or the Windows Firewall, post-SP2) is a "stateful"
    firewall, it will also assume that any incoming traffic that's a
    direct response to a Trojan's or spyware's out-going signal is also
    authorized.

    ZoneAlarm, Kerio, or Sygate are all much better than WinXP's
    built-in firewall, and are much more easily configured, and there are
    free versions of each readily available. Even the commercially
    available Symantec's Norton Personal Firewall is superior by far,
    although it does take a heavier toll of system performance then do
    ZoneAlarm or Sygate.

    Bruce Chambers
    --
    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. - RAH

    "kage" <skywagon185@nomsn.com> wrote in message
    >I wonder which firewall I should run? PC-Cillin or SP2?
    >
    > Best,
    > Karl

    > Zone Alarm version 4.5.594.000
    You can't be serious? That buggy piece of bloated software? Nah, better to
    try Outpost or Sygate

    If you inadvertently download a 'trojan' while surfing the web, that
    'trojan' can connect to sites from your machine without you being aware and
    transmit all sorts of data that can be potentially harmful to you. One of
    the most alarming is some 'trojans' are designed to collect all keystrokes
    you use to connect to a bank account and transmit them to the 'trojan' owner
    who now has access the your accounts. You must have a firewall to prevent
    your machine from accessing sites without your knowledge.

    "sarah" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    you did answer my question thomas. i always wanted to
    know if ICF enabled is enough to monitor and control the
    traffic and keep my computer safe.
    one more question, do ICF or any other firewall have to
    monitor outgoing traffic? why?
    thks.

Firewalls Microsoft Windows XP