Windows Phone 8 to Launch on October 29

Status
Not open for further replies.
In addition to the phone/OS/xbox refresh they are also launching a new office, and have been overhauling office365, hotmail/outlook, skydrive, and the calendar.

They are super busy these days, hopefully it will pay off for them and the changes will not scare people away.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
The only good thing I can see looking at the photos...
The phones are Apple safe.
I mean Apple may be all things evil; but at least their stuff looks pleasing.

Still, my next phone will be made by Samsung; again :)

mynameis1

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
good stuff, glad to see the market opening up for the consumer allowing choice,. bravo to microsoft as well to allow other phone company to build there phones as well.

monktongaz

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
freggo, if you don't currently own a WP7 phone, you won't understand, but the live tiles look good in the flesh. Still each to their own; Having owned an iPhone I prefer the WP7/8 look.

rebel1280

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
Ive been on win 7.5 phone for a while now and honestly, i really enjoy it. If they can manage to integrate my OS, Phone and Xbox.... im sold :)

DroKing

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Im curious about wp8 but not Windows 8 OS... which;s a failure. keep these stupid kiddy looking interface to phones/tablets/xboxs. PC need DESKTOP layout you freakin stupid microsoft.

noblerabbit

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
with the backlash from 92% of all PC users, I certainly HOPE that Microsoft will address the epic fanbase , and implement keyboard and mouse useability, in the upcoming Windows 8 PC platform, otherwise... I am in distribution, and I at this point, am already boycotting Win8 OS for all of NorthAmerica, lol.

better do something MS.... don't be a defunct vegan now. Get some meat and potatoes on the Windows 8 OS , draw something OTHER than squares and rectangles, with black bars inbetween, I mean, REALLY

GreaseMonkey_62

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009

That's their plan I believe is cross compatiblity for all MS devices. I wouldn't be surprised if the new Xbox has a Windows 8 kernel.

[citation][nom]noblerabbit[/nom]with the backlash from 92% of all PC users, I certainly HOPE that Microsoft will address the epic fanbase , and implement keyboard and mouse useability, in the upcoming Windows 8 PC platform, otherwise... I am in distribution, and I at this point, am already boycotting Win8 OS for all of NorthAmerica, lol.better do something MS.... don't be a defunct vegan now. Get some meat and potatoes on the Windows 8 OS , draw something OTHER than squares and rectangles, with black bars inbetween, I mean, REALLY[/citation]
Don't let the door hit you on the way out!
Seriously, win8 is a superior OS (meaning intermediary between hardware and software) than win7. Yes, the interface is different, but not so radically different that it becomes unusable or anything, and I am using the RTM right now on keys/mouse and they have addressed many of the problems from previous builds. Also, the only people I know who complain about the new interface are techs. I work in a computer shop and have had a spare C2Duo unit running win8RTM for the last few weeks and have heard 0 complaints from customers thinking that it would be hard or complicated to use. Some of my techs have complained (but then again these are largely linux and mac people), but none of my customers.
Seriously, even if you don't like it, as a distributor you will only be hurting your own business by not rolling with the times. Yes, keep win7 available for customers, but don't straight-up deny customers current software... that's just bad business.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]monktongaz[/nom]freggo, if you don't currently own a WP7 phone, you won't understand, but the live tiles look good in the flesh. Still each to their own; Having owned an iPhone I prefer the WP7/8 look.[/citation]

You have a point of course. And some designs just need a while to be appreciated.
I'm not the type to buy/use form over function or I'd have Apple gear of course.
But still, no matter how often I look at those blocks, they just don't get me excited.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Wouldn't it be fun to have a 'skinable' GUI ?
That way you can use it 'as is' or make it look like anything you want; even an iPhone (someone at Apple just skipped a heart beat).
If it works for Winamp, why not for a SmartPhone ?

bawltea

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
Microsoft should look back when its Windows won against the much secure, modern and advanced OS known as IBM OS2. They could capture the market just because they offered both DOS and Windows while IBM had chosen to skip DOS part. I think Microsoft should offer the new look on top of Desktop on platforms where mouse and keyboard is preferred. Otherwise they might find themselves having a separate OS for mobile and handheld while Desktop versions like XP, Vista & 7 remain favourite among PC users.

giddygeekgirl

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012
[citation][nom]bawltea[/nom]I think Microsoft should offer the new look on top of Desktop on platforms where mouse and keyboard is preferred. Otherwise they might find themselves having a separate OS for mobile and handheld while Desktop versions like XP, Vista & 7 remain favourite among PC users.[/citation]

They do that already - the desktop is one click away when starting your computer up. I've been using Win8 for a few weeks now, and despite my apprehension generated by reading comments on this site and others, I have really enjoyed it. The desktop is still there, very much alive and well, and does not impede my productivity in the slightest, which is of course the most important thing to me.

athonline

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012
Got Windows 8 64-bit Professional edition as a university student software developer. They run smoothly and they are actually aesthetically pleasing. Even in a not optimised virtual machine, they can perform everyday task as good as 7 did. HOWEVER: Metro after the first couple of days becomes a pain in the ass, having to relocate every application I install and frequently used files to it. The search reminds me "Spotlight", but it isn't that good yet. Still get confused where to find some common things and have to use search for it... I miss my Start menu, having to switch back to Metro and then find the app/search for it feels like a slow down. I feel like the whole system will work well with a touch screen, but not with a mouse/ keyboard. Win8 is more or less a new "Vista" for business and older users, as their resistance to change, software incompatibility and need for training, will make them not so cost-effective...
Generally I feel like keeping OS X as my primary OS, Arch Linux for programming and Win 7 for games without native OS X client.

bawltea

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
@giddygeekgirl: It is the reverse of what was offered back then. DOS first Windows optional. Now you have to do extra work to get into classic Desktop. It should be the other way round. Then the shy ones and skeptics will easily embrace Windows 8.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
[citation][nom]caedenv[/nom]In addition to the phone/OS/xbox refresh they are also launching a new office, and have been overhauling office365, hotmail/outlook, skydrive, and the calendar.They are super busy these days, hopefully it will pay off for them and the changes will not scare people away.[/citation]
I like the new office web apps, outlook.com, and skydrive, but I still see no reason to use WP8 over Android JB, and I think metro gets in the way with Windows 8. (I'm still fighting Chrome on there as well - I want it as the default, but I don't want to launch the metro version on the start screen.) Office 2013 is just plain ugly compared to 2010 as well. (too light and boring for my tastes)

Status
Not open for further replies.