Your question

CPU Cooling?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Silverstone
  • Cases
Last response: in CPUs
January 24, 2006 10:49:42 AM

I have a HTPC using a Silverstone case. Nice case but airflow is always problematic for these cases in my experience. Not so bad when its in a totally exposed position but certainly an issue when placed in a cabinet.

So any suggestions on good brands for CPU cooling fans? Case fans as well? Currently I am using the default Silverstone ones. Nice and quiet but I don’t think they are very effective. CPU runs at 60 degrees Celsius constantly. Case is better at 45 degrees.

I got a dual storm from coolermaster which sounds good on paper but its much too large for a low profile Silverstone case.

For comparison my water-cooled CPU runs at 38 degrees. I know its water cooled but 20+ degrees difference seems large to me even taking the water cooling into consideration.

Apart from fans what else can I do to reduce cpu heat? Ive seen CPUIDLE on the net but not really sure how effective this program is. Doesn't XP already do this for you?

Finally any suggestions at all for cooling would be appreciated. It occurred to me that if I could slow down the hd somehow that would probably reduce a lot of heat. An HTPC doesn't need blistering fast speed for HDs. Is it possible to control this via software? What about underclocking the CPU? Again I don't think you need a lot of grunt to pump out movies at 800x640 res. Wouldn't underclocking reduce heat considerably as well?

Or should I abandon the Silverstone case and use a modified XBOX with a file server? Seems to me the Xbox would be a good choice since it already comes with a remote and also has good heat control to noise ratio.

Thanks!

edit:font

More about : cpu cooling

January 24, 2006 12:01:25 PM

I would suggest the Zalman 9500. It runs about 65 bucks but it looks beast and acually is the best non liquid cooler there is on the market in my opinion. I just got one and I noticed a huge difference in the idle and load temp
January 24, 2006 12:09:53 PM

Quote:
I would suggest the Zalman 9500. It runs about 65 bucks but it looks beast and acually is the best non liquid cooler there is on the market in my opinion. I just got one and I noticed a huge difference in the idle and load temp

Looks like a good fan but does it fit socket a? Its not listed on its specs. Thanks.
!