Is an Apple Lawerwriter 16/1600 PS Worth Anything ?

A friend has offered me an Apple laserwriter 16/1600 PS printer. He
says it's in working condition. He's a MAC fanatic, so it's impossible
to talk to him about what the printer can interface with :-)

It's got what appears to be a parallel interface and an RJ45 ethernet
jack. I know that's it a Postscript printer (a good thing) and I see
tha my XP system has drivers for it. I expect Linux has n problem
printing to it.

Picking it up is a bit of a PITA, so I want to see what I've been
offered, first.

I can't find and specs for this printer on the 'net.

Does it do ethernet ? LPR Protocol ?

PC-compatible parallel interface ?

Are toner cartridges available ? What's a good price in the US ?

Does this printer do anything like standby for power economy ?

Thanks.

--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m
----

    <http://www.nefec.org/UPM/printers/mapl16.htm>

    >Does it do ethernet ? LPR Protocol ?
    >PC-compatible parallel interface ?

    According to the above, yes to all

    >Are toner cartridges available ?
    Google: Results 1 - 10 of about 10,200 for " LaserWriter 16/600" toner

    > What's a good price in the US ?
    Check eBay

    <http://tinyurl.com/6so48>

    On 16 Nov 2004 10:18:21 -0500, Al Dykes wrote:
    > I can't find and specs for this printer on the 'net.

    Check Apple themself:

    Support -> Specifications -> old models -> laser printer

    <http://www.info.apple.com/support/applespec.legacy/laser.html>

    > Does it do ethernet ? LPR Protocol ?

    It does 'ethernet' - and due du postscript it should be easy to use with
    lpr.

    > PC-compatible parallel interface ?

    I think so - ordinary Mac never had Centronics parallel

    I'd recommend http://www.printerworks.com/ for learning about details.

    I don't know which print engine was used for the 16/1600. I think it was
    the same from Canon as for the HP LaserJet 4 and 5

    > Are toner cartridges available ?

    Those for HP LJ4 and LJ5 are easy to find - which should be the same for
    Apple.

    > What's a good price in the US ?

    hm - that's up to you. I'd guess form USD 10 upwards/

    > Does this printer do anything like standby for power economy ?

    yes - heating :-/

    Apple LaserWriter 16/600:

    Postscript Level 2
    8 MB Standard memory installed. Two availabel memery slots on the formatter
    board. Takes 72 pin, 32 bit Fast Paging SIMMs that have the Signal Detect
    Enabled.
    Support MS DOS, Windows, Linux, Unix, and of course Mac.
    17 Pages per Minute Speed.
    Same Canon print Engine as the HP Laserjet 4 Plus and 5. The Fuser should
    be the same as the LJ 4+ & 5.
    Takes HP Toner #98.
    It has optional Fax module and Hard Drive.
    You could still download the LaserWriter utility from Apple to config the
    printer through the parallel port.
    Minimum Life: 450,000 pages (Apple is the only one that spec with a minimum
    Life, I think)
    It draws about 750 Watts of power.

    It is a very nice printer. I used myself till I ran out of good 98 toner
    cartridge so I replaced it with an HP LJ4000. I personally think it is a
    much better printer than the new ones out there (eg, HP LJ 1012, 1300, etc.
    Never mind the other brands). I fixed laser printers for living if that
    matters any.

    My two cents.

    Dewaine

    In article <ZA0nd.6259$iI2.591098@twister.southeast.rr.com>,
    Dewaine Chan <"dchanNOSPAM"@NOSPAM PLZZZnc.rr.com> wrote:
    >Apple LaserWriter 16/600:
    >
    >Postscript Level 2
    >8 MB Standard memory installed. Two availabel memery slots on the formatter
    >board. Takes 72 pin, 32 bit Fast Paging SIMMs that have the Signal Detect
    >Enabled.
    >Support MS DOS, Windows, Linux, Unix, and of course Mac.
    >17 Pages per Minute Speed.
    >Same Canon print Engine as the HP Laserjet 4 Plus and 5. The Fuser should
    >be the same as the LJ 4+ & 5.
    >Takes HP Toner #98.
    >It has optional Fax module and Hard Drive.
    >You could still download the LaserWriter utility from Apple to config the
    >printer through the parallel port.

    Is there vesion of the setup utility of the setup softare that runins
    on windows or Linux ?

    --
    a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m
    ----

    adykes@panix.com (Al Dykes) wrote in message news:<cni5p9$4ho$1@panix5.panix.com>...

    > Is there vesion of the setup utility of the setup softare that runins
    > on windows or Linux ?

    <http://www.info.apple.com/support/oldersoftwarelist.html>

    But both OSs will support it with built in drivers. PostScript is
    compatible with everything. If you install he hard disk you might want
    this utility (main reason is to store fonts permanently, which speeds
    up printing).

Printers Apple Peripherals