Problems...need help to re-install Win95B

My system is having problems and I would like to delete everything from the
Hard Disk and start fresh.

Can someone tell me the best way to do this. I want to have Windows 95 OSR2
stored on the disk too so I only need to use the CD one time.

Any direction to answers on the Microsoft site would be very much
appreciated.

In addition to my Windows Explorer not working, my D drive is now not being
recognized.

It's been just over 2 years since having a technician re-install Windows
95B. I should have taken notes then but hopefully I will be able to perform
this on my own.

I was able to reformat my C drive from FAT 16 to FAT 32 a long time ago and
remember destroying everything on C at that time. Do I repeat those steps?
How do I get Windows to see my D drive, etc?

I need help.

Thanks for your assistance, Frank
4 answers Last reply
More about problems need install win95b

    Try creating a boot floppy with CD drivers.
    http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

    Ben

    "Frank W. Uebersax" <f-uebersax@msn.com> wrote in message news:OgaYr44KEHA.624@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
    > My system is having problems and I would like to delete everything from the
    > Hard Disk and start fresh.
    >
    > Can someone tell me the best way to do this. I want to have Windows 95 OSR2
    > stored on the disk too so I only need to use the CD one time.
    >
    > Any direction to answers on the Microsoft site would be very much
    > appreciated.
    >
    > In addition to my Windows Explorer not working, my D drive is now not being
    > recognized.
    >
    > It's been just over 2 years since having a technician re-install Windows
    > 95B. I should have taken notes then but hopefully I will be able to perform
    > this on my own.
    >
    > I was able to reformat my C drive from FAT 16 to FAT 32 a long time ago and
    > remember destroying everything on C at that time. Do I repeat those steps?
    > How do I get Windows to see my D drive, etc?
    >
    > I need help.
    >
    > Thanks for your assistance, Frank

    "Frank W. Uebersax" <f-uebersax@msn.com> wrote in message
    > My system is having problems and I would like to delete
    everything from the
    > Hard Disk and start fresh.

    Data, addresses and all?

    > Can someone tell me the best way to do this. I want to have
    Windows 95 OSR2
    > stored on the disk too so I only need to use the CD one time.

    see * below

    > Any direction to answers on the Microsoft site would be very
    much
    > appreciated.

    http://support.microsoft.com , click on 'Search the
    KnowledgeBase', select Windows 95 in the drop down list and type
    a significant portion of the error message or what you are trying
    to do in the search window.

    > In addition to my Windows Explorer not working, my D drive is
    now not being
    > recognized.
    I am going to assume that this is your cd-rom drive...

    [snipped some]

    I was able to reformat my C drive from FAT 16 to FAT 32 a long
    time ago and
    > remember destroying everything on C at that time. Do I repeat
    those steps?

    That's what you implied up at the top. All your data will be
    destroyed (I am going to repeat that...)

    > How do I get Windows to see my D drive, etc?
    Assuming that the d: drive is your cd-rom drive, does it appear
    onscreen during the POST? It would appear briefly as Found:
    CD-ROM drive make/model

    *
    1. Use a utility at www.bootdisk.com to create a boot floppy.
    The driver(s) on that floppy will support most cd-rom drives. If
    you have a proprietary cd-rom drive (usually found in the 4x and
    slower models), you may need to find the original drivers and add
    them manually to a boot floppy or (easier in my opinion) install
    a newer cd-rom drive. And on systems with no cd-rom drive, I was
    known to hook one up to install Windows.

    2. Boot using the floppy. This may require a change to your
    BIOS. Some POSTs display something like "Press Delete to enter
    Setup" other systems may require you to press F2, F10 or some
    other key or key combination to enter setup. If needed tell us
    what brand and model of computer you have.

    3. You should then be at a command prompt that says a:\ or
    something similar. With your Windows 95 setup cd in the drive
    use the following commands to format the drive and install
    Windows. Each command is typed at the prompt (usually
    c:\xxx\xxx\ or similar) and is followed by pressing the Enter
    key. Notes will be in braces {in this process, caps don't
    matter}.
    Format c: /b {cleans off the harddrive and leaves space for
    the boot files.}
    {There are spaces after the format and
    the :}
    {this will take time!}
    {There will be some questions to answer,
    it is Y for are you sure and any 8 letter combination you want
    for the label}
    {This deletes all of your data including
    email addresses, pictures, spreadsheets, _everything_!}
    c: {changes the active drive to the
    harddrive}
    md windows {the space after md must be present}
    [f3]\options {that is, tap the F3 key and then type
    \options, with _no_ space}
    [F3]\cabs {same}
    c[F3] {hit the c and then hit F3, this changes
    the current folder to the install folder}
    copy r:\win95\*.* {copies the install files to the harddrive,
    this will take time}
    setup {initiates the Windows 95
    installation, you should remove the cd and floppy now or just
    before hitting Enter.}

    4. You will need your product ID at some point, it should be on
    the sleeve or case that your Windows 95 cd came in.
    5. If this is an upgrade CD, you will need floppy 1 of your
    Windows 3.x install set.
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    Thanks for your reply. I haven't had time to follow all the details of your
    response. However, I have made progress by using a Recovery Disk I made
    from McAfee's Nuts & Bolts 98 that ultimately made Windows 95B locate my D
    drive which happens to be a Quantum 5.0GB HD.

    The recovery disk re-installed earlier User data and System data files, etc.
    and my PC has much better performance now.

    Other problems still exist, topping the list is having no Windows Explorer.
    Will be reading up on doing the Windows 95b re-install on a clean C drive
    that I figure is the best way to address this. Also some programs unable to
    be uninstalled. All the more reason to reformat.

    Trying to get the most from this 'older PC' with 430VX Chipset with 64MB EDO
    and 200Mhz MMX. Motherboard supports up 128MB RAM but I read not to exceed
    64MB due to the VX chipset caching limit.

    All is well for now with PC running much better and D drive working again.

    Thanks for your assistance. Appreciate the expertise this News Group has to
    offer. Frank

    "Kay Archer" <abuse@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
> [...]
    > for the label}
    > {This deletes all of your data including
    > email addresses, pictures, spreadsheets, _everything_!}
    > c: {changes the active drive to the
    > harddrive}
    > md windows {the space after md must be present}
    > [f3]\options {that is, tap the F3 key and then type
    > \options, with _no_ space}
    > [F3]\cabs {same}
    > c[F3] {hit the c and then hit F3, this changes
    > the current folder to the install folder}
    > copy r:\win95\*.* {copies the install files to the harddrive,
    > this will take time}
    > setup {initiates the Windows 95
    > installation, you should remove the cd and floppy now or just
    > before hitting Enter.}
    >

    > 4. You will need your product ID at some point, it should be on
    > the sleeve or case that your Windows 95 cd came in.
    > 5. If this is an upgrade CD, you will need floppy 1 of your

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 08:57:26 -0400, "Frank W. Uebersax"

    >My system is having problems and I would like to delete everything from the
    >Hard Disk and start fresh.

    May be a waste of time, depending what is CAUSING the problems.

    >It's been just over 2 years since having a technician re-install Windows
    >95B. I should have taken notes then but hopefully I will be able to perform
    >this on my own.

    If that's the sum total of troubleshooting you've done in two years,
    you have a lot of learning to do.

    Firstly, make sure your hardware's OK.
    Then, make sure your file system's OK.
    Then, exclude traditional malware ("viruses" etc.)
    Then, exclude commercial malware.
    Then, check your startup axis.
    Then, start thinking about specific problems.

    If you "just format and re-install" with problems present in the first
    3 of these things, you are very likely to be no better off; very
    likely worse off. The next two items are very likely to cause
    problems soon, after a "just re-install", when you whatever you did
    last time to allow these problenms to arise.

    See http://users.iafrica.com/c/cq/cquirke/bthink.htm

    Running Windows-based av to kill active malware is like striking
    a match to see if what you are standing in is water or petrol.

Microsoft Windows