network card for cable internet

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
I know i don't NEED a network card to hook up cable internet to my computer but hva e heard it can greatly increase the possible bandwidth.
Is this true.

Also, if i do need a network card, can you recommend one for strict use with internet, no actual networking.

By the way i'm getting an asus a8n premium sli and an AMD 3700+ a western digital SATA2 caviar 250gb and a BFG 7800gtx, if that helps.

hubbardt

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2004
You definitely need a network card to connect your computer to the Internet.
You won't need to buy one as your motherboard will already have at least one inbuilt network card.

To answer your bandwidth question:
Your internet connection is at best 10Mbit and even the crappiest network card these days can handle 100Mbit so your internet connection will always be the bottleneck rather than the network card.

doublehelix

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2005
I heard of someone actually getting two (or more) cable modems with individual network cards, then actually bridging the connection together into one... can't remember where I saw the article... been a long time ago...

anyone know if this would be possible? Might have to pay for two internet connections, but theoretically?

xiii

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2006
Some routers will support two WAN interfaces, but doing so with a PC would definitely be much more difficult, mostly because the PC would need an IP address on each interface, as bridging them won't work because the address on each WAN interface is set by the ISP, not us. In short, I would be very surprised to see it done by any average user.

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Some routers will support two WAN interfaces, but doing so with a PC would definitely be much more difficult, mostly because the PC would need an IP address on each interface, as bridging them won't work because the address on each WAN interface is set by the ISP, not us. In short, I would be very surprised to see it done by any average user.

Man where did you find this thread? It was finished in January and now you answer it. 8O

TRENDING THREADS