Tab, Esc don't work

sarah

Hi,
I have looked through the message boards and found a
number of people with this problem (very old threads!),
but no solutions so far. If anyone can help, we're really
appreciate it!
When in a program (Excel, Access etc or web browsers) and
the user keys TAB to jump to the next field, insead, a
different window appears, as if Alt+Tab were pressed. I
have also found that if, in Excel, I copy something, so
the data has the dotted line around it, I can't cancel the
copy by pressing Esc. This too jumps to a different
window like Alt+Tab does.
The problem started some time ago, and is usually solved
by re-booting, but more recently this hasn't helped any.
Can someone please help?? It's not just annoying but it is
stopping me from doing my work!
Many Thanks

Sarah

Sarah wrote:
> I have looked through the message boards and found a
> number of people with this problem (very old threads!),
> but no solutions so far. If anyone can help, we're really
> appreciate it!
> When in a program (Excel, Access etc or web browsers) and
> the user keys TAB to jump to the next field, insead, a
> different window appears, as if Alt+Tab were pressed. I
> have also found that if, in Excel, I copy something, so
> the data has the dotted line around it, I can't cancel the
> copy by pressing Esc. This too jumps to a different
> window like Alt+Tab does.
> The problem started some time ago, and is usually solved
> by re-booting, but more recently this hasn't helped any.
> Can someone please help?? It's not just annoying but it is
> stopping me from doing my work!
> Many Thanks

This is a "stuck key" in the electronic, not physical, sense. The problem
was far more common under Win95 than under its successors, but it still
occurs sometimes in later versions. Usually all you have to do is press and
release the Alt key once or twice.

--
Jim Eshelman, MS-MVP Windows http://aumha.org/
AumHa Forums: http://forum.aumha.org/