Speed trouble with antivirus

My kids' computer has been running a bit slow for a couple of months,
but when it took 2 1/2 hours to install game software (Jumpstart
Spelling), I realized things were out of hand. After a bit of
experimentation, it turned out to be the old version of Norton AntiVirus
that was bogging things down. Uninstalled NAV and then installed
AntiVir Guard which has been getting a lot of positive reviews lately.

With the "AVGuard" (autoprotect) enabled, speed is just as bad as with
Norton. Disabling brought the speed back to where it should be.

There's not very much loading at boot-up, Virtual Memory is set for a
minimum of 96 megs and no maximum. Dumped temp files and done all the
other usual maintenance. Antivirus programs never used to slow
performance of this computer as much as it is doing now. What have I
missed?

Running 95b with 32 megs on a P75.

Steve Fleischer

Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Try the free version of AVG 6. You will find it on www.grisoft.com
It works great on Windows 95 and the price is right. Only problem with the
free version is that you have to remember to update it manually.

"Richard" <me@mailinator.com> wrote in message news:e#tM7YIMEHA.3652@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Try the free version of AVG 6. You will find it on www.grisoft.com
> It works great on Windows 95 and the price is right. Only problem with the
> free version is that you have to remember to update it manually.

Why do you say that?
Autoupdate works fine in the free version of AVG 6.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> "Steven Fleischer" <sfleischerSPAMLESS@NOSPAMemail.com> wrote in message
> > My kids' computer has been running a bit slow for a couple of months,
> > but when it took 2 1/2 hours to install game software (Jumpstart
> > Spelling), I realized things were out of hand. After a bit of
> > experimentation, it turned out to be the old version of Norton AntiVirus
> > that was bogging things down. Uninstalled NAV and then installed
> > AntiVir Guard which has been getting a lot of positive reviews lately.
> >
> > With the "AVGuard" (autoprotect) enabled, speed is just as bad as with
> > Norton. Disabling brought the speed back to where it should be.
> >
> > There's not very much loading at boot-up, Virtual Memory is set for a
> > minimum of 96 megs and no maximum. Dumped temp files and done all the
> > other usual maintenance. Antivirus programs never used to slow
> > performance of this computer as much as it is doing now. What have I
> > missed?
> >
> > Running 95b with 32 megs on a P75.
> >
> > Steve Fleischer

This *is* AVG from Grisoft. Both this and Norton produced the same slowdown.

Steve

Richard wrote:
> Try the free version of AVG 6. You will find it on www.grisoft.com
> It works great on Windows 95 and the price is right. Only problem with the
> free version is that you have to remember to update it manually.
>
> "Steven Fleischer" <sfleischerSPAMLESS@NOSPAMemail.com> wrote in message
>
>>My kids' computer has been running a bit slow for a couple of months,
>>but when it took 2 1/2 hours to install game software (Jumpstart
>>Spelling), I realized things were out of hand. After a bit of
>>experimentation, it turned out to be the old version of Norton AntiVirus
>>that was bogging things down. Uninstalled NAV and then installed
>>AntiVir Guard which has been getting a lot of positive reviews lately.
>>
>>With the "AVGuard" (autoprotect) enabled, speed is just as bad as with
>>Norton. Disabling brought the speed back to where it should be.
>>
>>There's not very much loading at boot-up, Virtual Memory is set for a
>>minimum of 96 megs and no maximum. Dumped temp files and done all the
>>other usual maintenance. Antivirus programs never used to slow
>>performance of this computer as much as it is doing now. What have I
>>missed?
>>
>>Running 95b with 32 megs on a P75.
>>
>>Steve Fleischer

There is nothing called "AVGuard" in AVG 6 free edition.
AVG has what it calls "Resident Shield", which can be enabled and disabled through the AVG Control Center icon in the System Tray.

Do not enable the Outlook Express 5 plugin in AVG, and do not enable email scanning.

You may want to uninstall AVG, then reinstall the latest copy, and choose not to install the Email scanning module at all.

If you still have the speed problem, I would look elsewhere for the cause.
You may have some spyware or trojan that is interfering with the anti-virus.

Use CWShredder, the CoolWeb removal tool, available here:
http://computercops.biz/downloads-cat-14.html
http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads31.html
http://aumha.org/downloads/cwshredder.zip

In addition, install Ad-Aware 6 free edition, start it, click its 'Check for Updates' link in the app to install updates, then use it to scan your system, and remove what it finds.
Ad-Aware:
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/

Install, update and run SpyBot Search & Destroy, scan your system, and then remove the items in RED only.
SpyBot S&D:
http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=download

Download, unzip, and run Hijack This from one of these locations:
http://computercops.biz/downloads-cat-14.html
http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads31.html
http://www.spywareinfo.com/downloads/tools/HijackThis.exe
Unzip to a folder other than your Desktop or the Temp folder, doubleclick HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan".

When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log" button.
Press that, save the log somewhere you can find it (Desktop, My Documents, or similar).
Most of what it lists will be harmless or even required, so do NOT fix anything yet.

Copy the log files and paste them into a new post at one of these forums:
http://forums.net-integration.net/
http://computercops.biz/forums.html
http://forums.spywareinfo.com/index.php?showforum=30
http://tomcoyote.org/forums/
http://www.lavasoftsupport.com
http://boards.cexx.org/

The folks there will tell you what to remove.

A tutorial for using Hijack This is located here:
http://aumha.org/a/hjttutor.htm

Additional reading:
Dealing with Hijackware
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm