Sign in with
Your question

RAM type problem

Last response: in Memory
January 24, 2006 5:45:35 PM

Hello, I've got a problem with determining what RAM type I should buy. It's kind of an annoying problem, because I would really like to upgrade my memory (got only 256MB now, and I'm an avid World of Warcraft player... very bad combination). Strangely enough, I can't seem to find a complete description of my RAM anywhere. I've downloaded numerous apps to determine its type, and every one of them gives me 256MB DDR, but I need to know if it's PC-2100, 2700 or 3200.

CPU-Z gives me this: http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/5678/memory9bv.jpg As you can see most information it should give is for some reason not displayed, and it's like this with every program I've tried. I've also tried the Crucial memory scanning tool, which didn't work either because I was unable to determine the model of my PC. I know it's a Packard Bell iMedia, and it's part of the old 2002 Dream Machine series (Power Dream Machine to be exact) but I don't know which iMedia model number this represents. On top of that, I don't have a manual for my mobo (looked all around the place, just didn't come with the PC) so that won't help me either.

Now, I could of course open up the case and check which type it is in there, but I'm not that good with PCs and I'd like to know if there's an easier way to get an answer first. And I'm also aware that this is probably kind of a silly question, but bear with me here :) . If there is a way to determine the memory type or additional info about my PC is required, please tell me so I can post it here. Thanks in advance for helping out.

More about : ram type problem

January 26, 2006 5:49:09 PM

Ok, thanks a lot. So basically that means I can buy a PC-3200 module without having to worry it won't work at all, right? Because that was my major concern. I've already checked out the BIOS to find out, but couldn't find anything. Anyway, thanks for the info, hope WoW works better if I install it :D .
!