power on password

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
May 4, 2004 1:21:13 PM

I'm trying to get an old Compaq up and running.
The problem is that a "power on password" is set and I can't get passed the memory test when starting a boot.
I forgot what the password is from many years ago. How can I get into the setup so I can disable this password setting.
OS= Windows 95 Thanks,

More about : power password

Anonymous
May 4, 2004 7:31:36 PM

Remove CMOS battery for some time, this will reset BIOS to
default values. Or search for special jumper on motherbord.

May 4, 2004 10:34:25 PM

>On Tue, 4 May 2004 15:31:36 -0700, "valkam" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Remove CMOS battery for some time, this will reset BIOS to
>default values. Or search for special jumper on motherbord.

You can sometimes find a bios reset password on the web. Just check
out what bios it uses. Do a search on google or altavista
Anonymous
May 10, 2004 6:32:52 PM

You'll need to crack the case and either pull a jumper marked "CMOS reset",
or disconnect the BIOS battery for a day.

Oh, I just read that yours is a Compaq. I hope that it isn't one of those
Presario models that put the BIOS on the hard drive instead of a EEPROM
chip.

"fcc0610" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to get an old Compaq up and running.
> The problem is that a "power on password" is set and I can't get passed
the memory test when starting a boot.
> I forgot what the password is from many years ago. How can I get into the
setup so I can disable this password setting.
> OS= Windows 95
Thanks,
!