Win95 - Upgrade from IE 5.0 to 5.01 SP2 to 5.5 SP2?

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
May 4, 2004 9:22:20 PM

Old reliable 233 machine with:
Win95 ( OEM SR2 = 4.00.9508 ) & IE 5.0 = ( 5.00.2919.6307CO )

My present IE 5.0 has been quite reliable for several years now.
However it's now started tossing up "IE caused IPF in URLMON.DLL" when
clicking on the *Groups* links in Google. No such problem with any
other sites, so it's either a change in some of Google's code or
perhaps a corrupted area in my Registry's Protected Storage.

In any event, I feel I now need to upgrade IE 5.0 to IE 5.5 SP2.
According to what Sandi H. has recommended on several occasions, it's
advisable to go from 5.0 to 5.01 SP2 to 5.5 SP2 in steps, rather than
a straight jump (from 5.0 to 5.5 SP2).

I have downloaded a full install of 5.01SP2 (80 MB+/-), and have a CD
with a full install 5.5SP2. Should I do a full install of 5.01SP2 on
*top* of the present 5.0, and then a full install of 5.5SP2 over that
- - or uninstall 5.0 first? - - (which presumably would revert back to
4.01 SP2).

Additionally, what personal data will be over-written by those full
installs, and what files should be copied & saved first, i.e.,
favorite links, Internet Options, Autocomplete entries, cookies, etc.?

Thank you,

>---
Diane

More about : win95 upgrade sp2 sp2

Anonymous
May 4, 2004 11:40:50 PM

<Diane> wrote in message news:4097c760.10456009@216.168.3.30...

> Old reliable 233 machine with:
> Win95 ( OEM SR2 = 4.00.9508 ) & IE 5.0 = (
5.00.2919.6307CO )

> My present IE 5.0 has been quite reliable for several years
now.
> However it's now started tossing up "IE caused IPF in
URLMON.DLL" when
> clicking on the *Groups* links in Google. No such problem with
any
> other sites, so it's either a change in some of Google's code
or
> perhaps a corrupted area in my Registry's Protected Storage.
>
> In any event, I feel I now need to upgrade IE 5.0 to IE 5.5
SP2.
> According to what Sandi H. has recommended on several
occasions, it's
> advisable to go from 5.0 to 5.01 SP2 to 5.5 SP2 in steps,
rather than
> a straight jump (from 5.0 to 5.5 SP2).
>
> I have downloaded a full install of 5.01SP2 (80 MB+/-), and
have a CD
> with a full install 5.5SP2. Should I do a full install of
5.01SP2 on
> *top* of the present 5.0, and then a full install of 5.5SP2
over that
> - - or uninstall 5.0 first? - - (which presumably would revert
back to
> 4.01 SP2).

Just install the 5.5, don't bother to uninstall or upgrade by
steps. Indeed, uninstalling would likely lose some of the
personal settings you ask about in the next paragraph.

> Additionally, what personal data will be over-written by those
full
> installs, and what files should be copied & saved first, i.e.,
> favorite links, Internet Options, Autocomplete entries,
cookies, etc.?

Ideally, all your personal settings and emails will make the
transfer. But backing up before installing _any_ software is
always recommended.

I suggest starting with a virus scan:
http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_corp.asp

And at least two scans for scumware:
http://www.lavasoft.de/
http://www.safer-networking.org/

These could even fix your error without the upgrade.
Anonymous
May 5, 2004 12:32:26 AM

<Diane> wrote in message news:4097c760.10456009@216.168.3.30...

..

> In any event, I feel I now need to upgrade IE 5.0 to IE 5.5 SP2.
> According to what Sandi H. has recommended on several occasions, it's
> advisable to go from 5.0 to 5.01 SP2 to 5.5 SP2 in steps, rather than
> a straight jump (from 5.0 to 5.5 SP2).

You don't need to install IE 5.01sp2. Just install IE5.5sp2 over whatever
version you have now.
May 5, 2004 4:50:24 PM

On Tue, 4 May 2004 19:40:50 -0500, "Kay Archer"
<abuse@127.0.0.1> wrote:

><Diane> wrote in message news:4097c760.10456009@216.168.3.30...
>>
>> Old reliable 233 machine with:
>> Win95 ( OEM SR2 = 4.00.9508 ) & IE 5.0 = (
>5.00.2919.6307CO )
>>
>> My present IE 5.0 has been quite reliable for several
>> years now. However it's now started tossing up
>> "IE caused IPF in URLMON.DLL" when clicking on
>> the *Groups* links in Google. No such problem with
>> any other sites, so it's either a change in some of
>> Google's code or perhaps a corrupted area in my
>> Registry's Protected Storage.
>>
>> In any event, I feel I now need to upgrade IE 5.0 to
>> IE 5.5 SP2. According to what Sandi H. has
>> recommended on several occasions, it's advisable
>> to go from 5.0 to 5.01 SP2 to 5.5 SP2 in steps, rather
>> than a straight jump (from 5.0 to 5.5 SP2).
>>
>> I have downloaded a full install of 5.01SP2 (80 MB+/-),
>> and have a CD with a full install 5.5SP2. Should I do
>> a full install of 5.01SP2 on *top* of the present 5.0,
>> and then a full install of 5.5SP2 over that - - or uninstall
>> 5.0 first? - - (which presumably would revert back to
>> 4.01 SP2).
>>

>Just install the 5.5, don't bother to uninstall or upgrade by
>steps. Indeed, uninstalling would likely lose some of the
>personal settings you ask about in the next paragraph.
>

>> Additionally, what personal data will be over-written
>> by those full installs, and what files should be copied
>> & saved first, i.e., favorite links, Internet Options,
>> Autocomplete entries, cookies, etc.?
>>

>Ideally, all your personal settings and emails will make
>the transfer. But backing up before installing _any_ software
>is always recommended.
>
>I suggest starting with a virus scan:
>http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_corp.asp
>
>And at least two scans for scumware:
>http://www.lavasoft.de/
>http://www.safer-networking.org/
>
>These could even fix your error without the upgrade.

Thanks for the input, kids. This will be the first time
I've upgraded IE on this particular machine, so I obviously
want it to go smoothly and "without incident."

Regarding the IPF in URLMON.DLL which occurs *only* on some
of the Google Groups links, I've taken virtually every
action possible to resolve that one isolated goofy problem.
This machine is squeaky clean. So I'm highly suspect of
some corrupted data in the Registry's Protected Storage - -
and/or Google coding which doesn't play nice with IE 5.0 any
longer.

Strangely, the URLMON.DLL problem with Google Groups does
*not* occur when using AOL 4.0's integrated browser (which I
haven't used in years, but which I used to further check out
this issue.)

But I'll go ahead and upgrade to IE 5.5SP2 which may/may not
resolve that problem. If not, then I'll dump the Protected
Storage and rebuild it from scratch.

Thanks again

>---
Diane